Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Are We Going to Sink ?
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 1Total of 3 messages
Posted by:Feb 5th 2007, 10:32:56 am
speechhttp://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/rising-seas.html
Posted by:Feb 5th 2007, 10:30:38 am
speechits a firightening scenario man! you should check out the picture of tuvalu at high tide, ill try post em! the other problem is that warmer temperatures and bleach and detergent from our soakaways and irresponsible fishermen are killing the reef further wearing away our protection. i dont think that climate change/glabal warming is even on the social studies syllybus in the bahamas
Posted by:Jan 29th 2007, 06:03:34 pm
DakeIn the body of this news item it mentions that Indonesia is better off than some. Fiji and the Bahamas could disappear if the same forecasts come true. They are operating on some sort of assumption that sea levels will go up 36inches by 2030. I don't know where that is coming from. If it is true, then when I retire , HI will have come a long way toward being flooded.

Imagine a scenario where hightide is 36inches higher. Water would covery bay street at high tide. The thing that is particularly problematic is that the reefs that protect Harbour Island (unlike Whale Point) are just below the surface and have provided that magical combination of protection. They have been worn down by the surf to the perfect point, just below the water at low tide.

Now imagine where low tide is like the current high tide. At high tide the water would be right up on the dunes AND the reef would be six feet underwater! That would not stop the ocean swells from coming in. They would begin to batter Briland just like they batter the cliffs of Eluethera. Good thing I have land high up on a hill. I can stay there until the bitter end (but those swells could quickly erode Briland down to the same rocky outcroppings that are typical of Eleuthera.

See this link for the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16867998/

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration