Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Haitian problem
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 4Total of 61 messages
1 2 3 4 Next>>
Posted by:Oct 7th 2007, 10:46:14 am
BrilandkidAsh12 I do not think you were trying to be funny you were real in a sense that it applies to us too in the Bahamas our view (Bahamian). Maybe check you Bible scholars or better yet read.
Lamentations 5:1-6 and you will see that you are right on in your adapting of that quote. thanks
Posted by:Sep 27th 2007, 05:20:22 pm
ash12iknow, i thought it was funny,, LOL
Posted by:Sep 26th 2007, 08:45:41 pm
KimberlyNo offense, Ash, but that's a well-known hoax message, where someone took a news item off of the streets of Los Angeles and replaced the word 'Mexicans' with 'Haitians.'

The issues here in the Bahamas with regard to illegal immigration are completely different than those of our American counterparts ... and besides which, exactly when last did you see thousands of Haitians protesting on the streets of Nassau ;-)?
Posted by:Sep 26th 2007, 06:27:06 pm
ash12JIM MOORE REPORTING FOR A NASSAU TV STATION

JIM: PIERRE, I SEE THAT YOU AND THOUSANDS OF OTHER PROTESTERS ARE MARCHING IN THE STREETS TO DEMONSTRATE FOR YOUR CAUSE. EXACTLY WHAT IS YOUR CAUSE AND WHAT DO YOU EXPECT TO ACCOMPLISH BY THIS PROTEST?

PIERRE: WE WANT OUR RIGHTS. WE WILL SHOW YOU HOW POWERFUL WE ARE. WE WILL BRING NASSAU TO ITS KNEES!

JIM: WHAT RIGHTS?

PIERRE: OUR RIGHT TO LIVE HERE...LEGALLY. OUR RIGHT TO GET ALL THE BENEFITS YOU GETS.

JIM: WHEN DID YOU COME TO NASSAU?

PIERRE: SIX YEARS AGO. I CROSSED THE OCEAN AT NIGHT WITH SEVEN OTHER FRIENDS.

JIM: WHY DID YOU COME?

PIERRE: FOR WORK. I CAN EARN AS MUCH IN A MONTH AS I COULD IN A YEAR IN HAITI. BESIDES, I GET FREE HEALTH CARE, OUR HAITIAN CHILDREN CAN GO TO SCHOOL FREE, IF I LOSE MY JOB I WILL GET SOCIAL SERVICES, AND SOMEDAY I WILL HAVE THE NATIONAL INSURANCE. NOTHING LIKE THAT IN HAITI!

JIM: DID YOU FEEL BADLY ABOUT BREAKING OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS WHEN YOU CAME?

PIERRE: NO! WHY SHOULD I FEEL BAD? I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HERE. I HAVE A RIGHT TO AMNESTY I PAID LOTS OF MONEY FOR MY WORK PERMIT AND PERMANENT RESIDENCE CARDS.

JIM: HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE THOSE DOCUMENTS?

PIERRE: FROM A GUY IN IMMIGRATION. HE CHARGED ME A LOT OF MONEY TOO.

JIM: DID YOU KNOW THAT THOSE DOCUMENTS WERE FORGED?

PIERRE: IT IS OF NO MATTER. I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HERE AND WORK.

JIM: WHAT IS THE 'RIGHT' YOU SPEAK OF?

PIERRE: THE RIGHT OF ALL ALIENS. IT IS FOUND IN YOUR CONSTITUTION. READ IT!

JIM: I HAVE READ IT, BUT I DO NOT REMEMBER IT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT
RIGHTS FOR ALIENS.

PIERRE: IT IS IN THAT PART WHERE IT SAYS THAT ALL MEN HAVE ALIEN RIGHTS, LIKE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS. I WASN'T HAPPY IN HAITI, SO I CAME HERE.

JIM: I THINK YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE AND THAT DOCUMENT SPEAKS TO UNALIENABLE RIGHTS. NOT ALIEN RIGHTS.

PIERRE: WHATEVER.

JIM: SINCE YOU ARE DEMANDING TO BECOME AN BAHAMIAN CITIZEN, WHY THEN ARE YOU CARRYING A HAITIAN FLAG?

PIERRE: BECAUSE I AM HAITIAN.

JIM: BUT YOU SAID YOU WANT TO BE GIVEN AMNESTY TO BECOME A BAHAMIAN CITIZEN.

PIERRE: NO. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT. THIS IS OUR COUNTRY, A PART OF HAITI THAT YOU BAHAMIAN'S STOLE FROM US. WE WANT IT RETURNED TO ITS RIGHTFUL OWNER.

JIM: PIERRE, YOU ARE STANDING IN NASSAU. AFTER INDEPENDENCE, NASSAU
BECAME A DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY, AND LATER NASSAUVIANS VOTED TO HAVE ITS OWN LEADERS. WE DID NOT STEAL HAITI

PIERRE: THAT IS A NASSAUVIAN LIE. PART OF HAITI WAS STOLEN. SO WAS THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IT IS JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER STUFF YOU PEOPLE IN NASSAU STEAL, LIKE BANANA'S AND WOMEN. YOU ARE A COUNTRY OF THIEVES.

JIM: WOMEN? YOU THINK WE STEAL WOMEN?

PIERRE: SURE. LIKE FROM CUBA AND
JAMAICA AND CHINA. I SEE THEM ALL OVER THE
PLACE. YOU LET ALL THESE FOREIGNERS IN, BUT TRY TO KEEP US HAITIANS OUT.

JIM: SO, YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO BECOME A BAHAMIAN CITIZEN THEN.

PIERRE: I JUST WANT MY RIGHTS! EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO LIVE, WORK, AND SPEAK THEIR NATIVE LANGUAGE WHEREVER AND WHENEVER THEY PLEASE. THAT'S ANOTHER THING WE DEMAND. ALL SIGNS AND OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE IN CREOLE. TEACHERS MUST TEACH IN CREOLE. SOON, MORE PEOPLE HERE IN NASSAU WILL SPEAK CREOLE THAN ENGLISH. IT IS OUR RIGHT!

JIM: IF I WERE TO CROSS OVER THE OCEAN INTO HAITI WITHOUT PROPER DOCUMENTATION, WHAT RIGHTS WOULD I HAVE THERE?

PIERRE: NONE. YOU WOULD PROBABLY GO TO JAIL, BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT.

JIM: HOW IS IT DIFFERENT? YOU SAID EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO LIVE WHEREVER THEY PLEASE

PIERRE: YOU BAHAMIAN'S ARE A BUNCH OF LAND GRABBING THIEVES. NOW YOU WANT HAITI TOO? HAITI HAS ITS RIGHTS. YOU BAHAMIAN'S HAVE NO RIGHTS IN HAITI. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO GO THERE ANYWAY? THERE IS NO FREE MEDICAL SERVICE, SCHOOLS, OR SOCIAL SERVICES THERE FOR FOREIGNERS SUCH AS YOU. YOU CANNOT EVEN OWN LAND IN MY COUNTRY. STAY IN THE COUNTRY OF YOUR BIRTH.

JIM: I CAN SEE THAT THERE IS NO WAY THAT WE CAN AGREE ON THIS ISSUE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

PIERRE: VIVA HAITI!
Posted by:Sep 17th 2007, 08:09:25 am
smittyThe first solid inputs I've read since this mess began.Don't let it die.
Posted by:Sep 17th 2007, 04:57:40 am
kristiVote Ash12!!!!! Good idea. You'll do a great job Ash12. Don't worry about people critisizing - do what you feel is right for the island and you'll go a long way. Good luck.
Posted by:Sep 15th 2007, 08:20:41 pm
ash12i,ve thought about it a few times,a few people were encouraging me ,,but to see family members go through the ridicule and get critizized for the love for they,re island,,i dont know if im ready for that yet to be honest,,but we need more out spoken, literate,,youth,s to step farward
Posted by:Sep 15th 2007, 06:04:56 pm
KimberlyHey, how about running for local government yourself? You have some solid ideas on how to generate the kind of change that is long overdue on Harbour Island. What about it ;-)??
Posted by:Sep 14th 2007, 09:00:24 pm
ash12there needs to be a meeting with both our M.P and the local counsil with the public,,in an open forum type meeting.iterrested and conserned residents should voice they,re opinion on this situation ,,,also representive,s from imagration, should be there
Posted by:Sep 14th 2007, 08:12:12 pm
KimberlyWell, MP Smith has been our representative for ten years now, most recently as the Leader of the Opposition in the House of Parliament in Nassau, so perhaps we should ask HIM how he plans to interact with local government, since the council members are part of the local community and a lot closer to the issues, don't you think?
Posted by:Sep 14th 2007, 07:49:36 pm
ash12the counsil can,t and should,nt go over the member of Parliment,s head,,meaning Mr..Alvin Smith,thats the proper way it should happen. after all he,s the one who represents us all in Government
Posted by:Sep 14th 2007, 05:06:10 am
kristiEverything topic/forum etc presented to Nassau SHOULD come from the local council otherwise it's useless to have a local council if they don't do anything. They were elected to represent Harbour Island...need I say more???
Posted by:Sep 13th 2007, 09:34:46 pm
ash12the local counsil cant do much i think ,,cause this is a huge job,,they only can do so much ,,,if nassau had to step an say well its time to round up people who we think that are here ileagally,,where are we going to hold them? how many can we hold? the post office down to every government building has out grown it self here on briland,,blackwood is set to get pushed down,where will they run to?? we really have to be careful on who we accept here,,,its been two cases of TB at blackwood,,we dont need that here
Posted by:Sep 13th 2007, 07:08:04 pm
KimberlyWhat does the local district council plan to do? Seems to me that we have to work things out on a local level before we can ask (or expect) Nassau to step in.
Posted by:Sep 13th 2007, 05:44:54 pm
ash12in this situation i think not just one person could make a change,,this is bigger than any (1 one)person,,,fingers needs to be pointed,,who are the bahamians who use the haitians permits for they,re pocket???? an how do you know who,s an who,s not ileagal,,alot of permits are forged!! we have to keep in mind that the bahamas has many entrances along our borders an not enough boats or officer,s to man it,,an if you have 50 to 100 permits with the same serial number on them! they,re being copied ileagaly,,we have to get a sensis on them, how many do we have really in the bahamas
Posted by:Sep 13th 2007, 03:28:05 pm
Spanishlady25We all need to remember that it only taks one person to make a CHANGE.

It's always been said that "its easier to point the finger at someone else" when we BAHAMIANS might be the ones to blame from the start.

Let's face it no one likes to be called an illegal immigrant, but hey when you have escape from your home town to another country wheter to have a better life or not that's what society names you.

I think it's not just the goverment, its not just the locals and its not just the immigrants.

I think we all pay a part in illegal migration.

Stop hiring haitians that are here illegally.
Stop so much free access to the bahamas with all immigrants.

Look I think if the goverment and BAHAMIANS were to do the best thing for the BAHAMAS, which is protecting the islands and the home towns and settlements then we would have less illegal immigrants.

Let's keep in mind that its not just haitians.

Always remember DO UNTO OTHER'S AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.
Spanishlady 25
Posted by:Aug 30th 2007, 10:54:16 am
kristiPlease tell me where you saw "rabbit". Maybe I can't read or you read too much between the lines.
Posted by:Aug 30th 2007, 07:58:22 am
BrilandkidNo what country I move between weather Canada UK Or US if I am illegal than I too deserve to be thrown out because it is illegal the law, Law is Law no matter which country.
I am first a foremost a Bahamian. I and other Bahamians will refuse to be classed as a rabbits
Posted by:Aug 30th 2007, 01:58:53 am
KimberlyBrilandkid, this has been for the most part a perfectly mature and useful discussion. Your inability to argue in an open forum without calling names isn't anyone else's fault save your own. Either back down and lose the attitude, or stop posting here for awhile. The issue being discussed is a complex one, and no one here has a complete handle on the truth.

Thanks for keeping the discussion civil.
Posted by:Aug 30th 2007, 01:52:28 am
kristiI will no longer reply to this subject. It only goes to show that one cannot have an opinion without being called an a.. (from someone aka BrilandKid who lives in ANOTHER country (other than the Bahamas)that is not his). Hope you're not an illegal immigrant...Funny how the country you live in accepted you!!!! Think about the opportunity you had going to live there and you know what you took the opportunity and that's great. Pass this opportunity on to others will you.

Ash12 - I do agree with you that the teachers do have to put more into their work BUT you must understand that no matter where you come from, lower middle or upper class, black, white, yellow etc - the main education comes from the home.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration