Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Green Bahamas: Eleuthera 2030 A Huge Success
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 1Total of 3 messages
Posted by:Feb 15th 2008, 10:54:54 pm
hobiecatOne more comment....here's an article about Palos Verdes High School in Los Angeles, California - the students have their own Biodiesel lab and produce fuel from waste vegetable oil - the article talks about their setup and the advantages of biodiesel.

The link is a PDF, so you'll need Adobe Acrobat reader to read it:
http://www.lovecraft.com/images/stories/projects/palosfindings.pdf

Now all we need are diesel golf carts ;-)
Posted by:Feb 15th 2008, 10:46:25 pm
hobiecatThis is really terrific news! I think green energy alternatives are a perfect solution for the Bahamas energy needs - it's great to see Bahamians take the lead - perhaps you can teach the rest of us how to get off fossil fuels and lead the way to a greener, cleaner planet!
Posted by:Feb 15th 2008, 02:34:15 pm
Fig Tree News TeamRenewable Energy Can Free the Bahamas
by Larry Smith

CAPE ELEUTHERA: It was a truly shocking experience.

Who would have thought that the head cheeses of the Bahamas Electricity Corporation, Kevin Basden and Fred Gottlieb, would be caught dead at a little out island gabfest on renewable energy?

"I really hope we can get renewables working for us," BEC chairman Gottlieb told the assembled experts and afficionados, "because I am tired of people calling me to complain about the fuel surcharge."

With oil prices now hovering around $100 a barrel, the world's heavily-polluting energy economy is finally beginning to shift gear, and the Bahamas - which imports all its fuel - must adapt or suffer the consequences. The good news is that the economic changes the experts were predicting for the long haul are happening a lot faster than we expected.

The setting for Mr Gottlieb's joke last week is a clear case in point. An American-owned school at Cape Eleuthera that is powered entirely by solar panels and a wind turbine, that recycles its own waste, grows its own food and builds with Casuarina lumber (these imported pine trees are an invasive weed).

And what, just a couple of years ago, might have been merely a gathering of starry-eyed green missionaries turned out to be more of a business meeting than you might think.

More at:
http://www.bahamapundit.com/2008/02/renewable-energ.html

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration