Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Harbour Island All Age (Graduation)
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 3Total of 45 messages
1 2 3 Next>>
Posted by:Jun 20th 2008, 02:47:51 pm
KimberlyAn oldie but goody:

The outgoing message:

Hello! You have reached the automated answering service of Harbour Island All-Age School. In order to assist you in connecting to the right staff member, please listen to all the options before making a selection:

To lie about why your child is absent - Press 1

To make excuses for why your child did not do his work -Press 2

To complain about what we do - Press 3

To swear at staff members - Press 4

To ask why you didn't get information that was already enclosed in your newsletter and several flyers mailed to you - Press 5

If you want us to raise your child - Press 6

If you want to reach out and touch, slap or hit someone - Press 7

To request another teacher, for the third time this year - Press 8

To complain about transportation - Press 9

To complain about school lunches - Press 0

If you realize this is the real world and your child must be accountable and responsible for his/her own behaviour, class work, homework and that it's not the teachers' fault for your child's lack of effort: Hang up and have a nice day!
Posted by:Jun 20th 2008, 12:47:24 pm
Fig Tree News TeamWe are not alone:

50% of Bahamian students leave without a diploma

By IANTHIA SMITH, Guardian Staff Reporter, ianthia@nasguard.com

While thousands of students leave high schools around the country each year, fewer than 50 percent of them actually graduate, and that number is falling, according to top education officials.

Many Bahamian high school students have already donned the famous cap and gown this month, but according to recent graduation statistics, fewer than 50 percent of these students are making the minimum required 2.0 grade point average to obtain a diploma.

Minister of Education Carl Bethel said this is the sad reality that the country's educational system has faced for years.

"This is a long-standing problem that has been around from the very inception of education," Bethel told The Nassau Guardian. "We know this happens with a large number of the schools in the school system, and we are moving to tackle this long-standing problem."

Principals from three government-run senior high schools in New Providence released their graduation figures to The Guardian yesterday.

C. I. Gibson principal Elaine Williams said she believes that many students simply aren't applying themselves and preparing for life after high school. She said of the 240 students that graduated from her school this month, only 40 percent made the mark.

"If only 40 percent got diplomas, then that means those are the ones who really took part and did the best they could," Williams said. "This means that the other 60 percent got attendance certificates and they didn't do as well as they could have, but in the long run, all of them are now forced to go into the work field."

Principal at the Government High School, Geoffrey McPhee said only 38 percent of his school's senior class received diplomas for their academic achievements, while 23 percent received certificates of attendance and the remaining 39 percent simply left high school with nothing to show for it.

McPhee said with numbers like these, the country's workforce will be bombarded with Bahamians who did not take advantage of a high school education while they had the chance. He added that in due time, they will realize how important those years were.

"These students will find out fairly quickly when they go looking for jobs," he said. "When they see the kinds of persons who are turning them down, they will get the idea of all of the things that we have been telling them over the past three years, and what the guidance counselors have been telling them. They will soon see that these are the people they should have been preparing for and they will get an idea of the kinds of jobs they will be able to get."

McPhee added that the numbers of high school students who actually graduate is declining, a situation he said is directly linked to the breakdown in the home.

Donovan Turnquest, vice principal at C. C. Sweeting Senior, also gave his senior class numbers and reported that of the school's 219 twelfth-grade students enrolled in the traditional curriculum, 141 or 64 percent received diplomas, while 78 or 36 percent of them got certificates of attendance. He also added that eleven students in the school's work-based learning program also received diplomas. C. C. Sweeting school implemented the program for less academically inclined students, to work at various businesses three days each week, and attend school on Mondays and Fridays.

Because the country has yet to implement a standardized high school diploma, it is up to the various administrations at the senior schools to determine what qualifies a student obtaining a diploma.

A September 2007 report by the Coalition for Education Reform highlighted what it called a "controversial" issue, where a sizable number of high school students are walking away from the classrooms without even making the minimum requirements to get a diploma. The report provided results from the 2006 and 2007 Bahamas General Certificate for Secondary Education, where it was reported that last year only 46 percent of students in New Providence received grade 'C' or higher in their subjects.

But despite this and other drawbacks, minister Bethel said his ministry is on a mission to implement initiatives to help fix the problem.

In his 2008-2009 budget communication, Bethel outlined his ministry's commitment to improving the quality of education in the country.

"The Department of Education is aware of the many complaints from the general public, business owners and other stakeholders as to the output and functional capabilities of the majority of persons who leave our senior high schools," Bethel said. "We are all aware of the complaints about the unacceptably low national average score in the BGCSE examinations which, last year, was a D."

To combat this problem, Bethel said the ministry plans to put reform initiatives in place to address core subjects and on-the-job training, after-school pilot programs and a standardized assessment.

Bethel said he knows first hand the dilemma that these high schools students face, claiming that the Ministry is doing all it can to make sure that when high school students leave the classrooms, they are all armed with a high school diploma.
Posted by:Jun 12th 2008, 12:48:57 pm
KimberlyAbsolutely ... I was just in a roundabout way referring to Kitchi's suggestion that skilled jobs were in short supply on the island, resulting in a certain lack of incentive to work harder. Fact is, we DO need all of those skillsets at the moment, desperately!
Posted by:Jun 12th 2008, 05:13:35 am
kristiYes Kimberly you are so right but in order for people (the next generation) to do these sorts of things they must first know how to read and write. No one should even be in a graduating class if they don't have the basics.
Posted by:Jun 11th 2008, 04:04:42 pm
KimberlyAll good points ... we've got a good case in point coming up this next local council election.

Here's to hoping that the winning candidates have experience with or curiousity about building codes, reading architectural plans, figuring out alternative energy needs, potable water issues, discerning waste management, port authority issues, urban planning, accounts payable and sustainable farming methods. That's where the future of Harbour Island lies, with careful, thoughtful LOCAL governance. Which presumes a certain level of education.
Posted by:Jun 11th 2008, 02:50:28 pm
smittyIt's beyond embarassing, BA, it's the future of your little slice of paradise..
Posted by:Jun 11th 2008, 11:38:09 am
Briland_AmbitionSome one needs to step up to the plate!!!!!! And help with making this change i'm willing cause its embrassing not only to the school or the parents but the community of Harbour Island

And i fail to blame the students may seem to be stubborn and closed minded but i've been in the situation and i seen it first handed, We all now how it is when it come to Education on the island where like a spec in the educational arena.
Posted by:Jun 11th 2008, 11:33:20 am
Briland_AmbitionTEACHERS ARE THERE TO MOLD THE MINDS OF STUDENT NOT CORRUPT THERE MINDS NON SUCCESSFUL DREAMS AND GOALS
Posted by:Jun 11th 2008, 11:28:03 am
Briland_AmbitionThanks and thats what ppl dnt understand and continue to fail to understand cause i feel like if a small percentage of the students graduate and it happens over and over it means that the parents have a problem? i no of person who graduated and the parents cared and gave them alot of attention but then again failed SOOOOOOO............. Come on ppl think and dnt let the teachers off the hook most of the time the teacher have a few in the class who they pay close attention to and dnt worry about the rest of the class WHAT DO WE THINK OF THAT come on now think about it
Posted by:Jun 11th 2008, 10:45:40 am
smittyOf course, Briland Ambition, you should have to do none of this. Once the graduation results are made known to the people who run the education system on HI,if they are responsible, they should be equally appalled and instigate their own investigation.Put some pressure on them and see what happens.Naturally the teachers are going to blame anything or anyone but themselves.If they aren't enthusiastically concerned, I guess you've solved the problem...
Posted by:Jun 11th 2008, 07:20:21 am
Briland_AmbitionThanks alot Smitty being that there trained professionals they should indeed no what the problems is but ..........
Posted by:Jun 10th 2008, 02:49:48 pm
smittyWouldn't it behoove you to first talk to the teachers and find out where the problem lies.Let them define the problem before instituting programs on the fly that might be off in the wrong direction.They are trained professionals and by God should be able to provide you with the answers.They HAVE to know, and I'd be dammed if I'd let them off the hook.There are after all, educators and then teachers.
Posted by:Jun 10th 2008, 02:20:00 pm
KimberlyIsn't one of the issues at the school the fact that very few teachers actually offer after-school programs?
Posted by:Jun 10th 2008, 01:02:13 pm
Briland_Ambitionthink there can be something that can be done some kind of extra credit program that can help them to graduate at least lord knows something need to be done its sad as well as serious
Posted by:Jun 9th 2008, 08:33:56 pm
Richard Pwe waiting for guidance from local government, we will be waiting for along time ... not about what you know anymore, all about who y ou know. Ignorant fellow on council with not one whit of garbage tending right NOW ... is trying to take away the contract from peeps on the mainland who actually know what they are doing ...
Posted by:Jun 9th 2008, 07:59:24 pm
ash12nothing is being done! this is an issue that someone need to address! if i,m not mistaken this is the third or forth year consecutively of the same result. i hope with the new counsil this would be an area to consentrate on,, along with parents and teachers that take they,re jobs seriously. if the island does,nt step in and take this serious! we would surely kiss this island goodbye, these students are our future. what type job could these individuals get without any type of certificate???
Posted by:Jun 9th 2008, 10:01:09 am
kristiAnd what is being done about this school year end result??? Does this mean that the children that didn't get their diploma's have to repeat the school year??(which would be the normal thing to do!!)
Posted by:Jun 7th 2008, 07:50:47 pm
ash12in veiw the parents of the graduating class should feel ashamed!!could you beleive it!!4 students out,ve 22 got diploma,s thats not acceptable!!!what is really going on!! is it the teachers or the parents? or both! how could we allow our students walk out without diploma,s
Posted by:Jun 4th 2008, 12:21:49 am
Briland_Ambitionmy suggestion of that session is the same thing i had in mind somewhat but its only a suggestion doesnt have to be a concrete idea but grounds for ideas to help!!!
"Gotta pray I get a job, a green card and a social security #. It's easier said then done (especially after 9/11), and I know I can go home after I graduate and lounge for the rest of my life, but I don't want to. All I want to do is be indepent in life. -And I may not succeed, but I'd rather try my hardest and fail, then live with myself knowing I didn't try". i applaud you for that and wish you best of luck and its statement like that make me proud to b a Brilander just please dnt go off and come back and wait tables or be a maid we as brilander/ bahamaians need to get out od this relax world where everthing's made in the shade step up our game life dnt get any easier i always use this method Who do you think invented the Master, BA, PHD the white ppl because they believe that its more to life and education is unlimited so we need to step up to the plates and help each other
Posted by:Jun 4th 2008, 12:06:42 am
kitchi"So what i'm gettin is that Briland is just filled with negativity ?"

No.
Problem is, it's NOT filled with ambition and expectations for it's youth.

"the ppl on the island dnt really care much when it comes to the youths "
I half the problem isthe peple didn't care about themselves while they were in school. They have kids and don't care how the kids do. The other half is because the parents don't care, the kids don't care. Now when these kids have kids, the cycle begins again.

"they rather tear each other down be happy for the next person"
That's because THEY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH THEIR TIME. They could be spending their time making sure their kids graduate or just improving the quality of their life. -But all they know is Briland. All they EXPECT to know is Briland. They're content where they are and don't plan to change anything. When someon tries to improve, they make fun of them and gossip about them just for trying.

"This generation needs to get to the basics - arts & crafts, music, typing etc"
I see where you're going with htis, but just because they have the skills doesn't mean they'll ever useuse them. Music, typing etc are skills that are OPPURTUNITIES to do something constructive. Once they're older, trumpet playing is just a ticket to go to junior junkanoo in Nassau and start shopping. Even then, how to you get the youth to value these classes that teach these skills? And if you pull that off, how do you get them to appreciate the academic classes? I guess having these classes and having the potential there is better than them not having the skillset at all.

"Who in the community in your opinion would be best suited to host the rap sessions"
I don't think this would work once they're pass a certain age and have degressed into that mindset.
My THEORY is that as soon as they reach grade 7 (first day) have them write what they want to become and why. Have them do the same the last day of school so they keep it in mind over summer.
In 8th grade, have them write it every two months. In ninth grade, every one's telling them how important their BJCs are, have them write who they want to become, and looking back, how they're answers have changed over the years. In the middle of the year, speak and assess them INDIVIDUALLY. Ask them WHY they want to do want they wrote. By the end of the year, BRING IN a person from the field the student wants to be in to talk to the student. That should give them more input on the field. Once or twice a year, have them write it in grade 10 and 11, and in grade 12, if possible, have them go to work with a person in that field. I'm sure the chefs at the hotels won't mind an assistant cook, nor would accountants mind an assistant, or fishermen, barbers etc.
Before graduation day, have them fill out job applications or college applications (I remember a teacher did the college application thing).

But those are just my theories. I think another part of the problem is parents stop asking the kids what they want to be after age 5, then are surprised when the kid doesn't graduate and doesn't do anything. They should be always asking them. It's not that hard. a few times a year. When i was in high school, I was asked what I wanted to do after high school. As much as I wanted to take a few months off, I wasn't allowed to. I found a job 'til I got into college. The other students saw graduation as vacation time. The end of the line. For me it was another beginning. time to start again. Hopefully I'll graduate this year and I know, it's more work ahead. I gotta pray I get a job, a green card and a social security #. It's easier said then done (especially after 9/11), and I know I can go home after I graduate and lounge for the rest of my life, but I don't want to. All I want to do is be indepent in life. -And I may not succeed, but I'd rather try my hardest and fail, then live with myself knowing I didn't try. Like I mentioned before,others have the "why should I move out when I can stay with mommy and daddy for free?"

-And if students say they want to be drug dealers when they grow up, just tell them you need 7 BGCSEs.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration