Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Briland Regatta 2008 News
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 1Total of 1 messages
Posted by:Aug 6th 2008, 06:43:10 am
Fig Tree News TeamGood News from Cat Island

By DAHALIA SMITH, NG Sports Reporter
Dahalia@nasguard.com

NEW BIGHT,CAT ISLAND - With one more major regatta remaining in the native sloop sailing season, Whycliff Albury's Good News is poised to defend the Baha Mar Boat of the Year A-class title. The Good News sponsored by fashion mogul Peter Nygård (owner of Nygård Cåy) stole the show at the 52 nd Cat Island Regatta held in honor of Wilberforce Seymour. She won all three races on the weekend and totaled 15 points.

The Red Stripe ended up second with two seconds and one third placements which totaled 11 points, the Southern Cross was third registering two thirds and one fourth for a sum of eight points, the home town sloop Who Dat also finished with eight points after finishing fourth twice and second once. However Who Dat ended up fourth as the Southern Cross beat Who Dat twice. The Anna Nicole was fifth for a total of five points as she recorded two fifth placements and a did not finish.

Albury told the Nassau Guardian: "I came back to Cat Island to claim my championship. Two years ago was the last time we were in Cat Island and at that time we won the A-class title. This year we wanted to make a statement and win convincingly. In the end we got the job done as we won all of the races. "The competition was very stiff but the difference is that our crew is much more seasoned than the other crews. Red Stripe gave us a good push in the last race but we just were sailing better that day.

Currently the Good News is ranked in the top three positions for the Boat of the Year title. The owner is optimistic about defending the title: "There is still one more major regatta to go (Harbor Island) and we have all intentions to win that too. If we take the same crew to Eleuthera I know we will be able to pull the victory off.

"Those playing a pivotal role in the Cat Island victory are my dedicated skipper Lee Armbrister, captain James Wallace, Peter Lockhart, Antone Sweeting, Dino Albury, Dino Pinto and Dino."

Good News' jib man William "Blackie" Curry was impressed with the regatta: "It was good we tried to keep the boat in shape so that we could stay in contention for the Baha Mar Boat of the Year top prize. In addition the conditions and Harbor were very nice. The competition was very keen because all of the A-class boats were fast. We had a very good time down here."

The Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture Desmond Bannister who's grand father is a Cat Island native decided to attend the regatta to support his family's hometown. "It is exceptional that for the past 52 years Cat Island has been able to stage regattas. Obviously Bahamians enjoy coming here which can be seen by the amount of people that came out. Furthermore what I think is good about this whole regatta is that it brings a festive atmosphere. It also serves as a means for Bahamians to come together in a way that no other sport does.

"Unfortunately I won't be able to spend the remainder of my weekend in Cat Island because this weekend I have to attend other festivals around The Bahamas. However attending this one was imperative because it is the biggest regatta out of all that are being held right now," said Bannister.

The final major sailing event will be the North Eleuthera Regatta set for Harbour Island, October 9-12.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration