Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

The way it is
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 1Total of 12 messages
Posted by:Mar 22nd 2009, 02:46:56 pm
The PartymanThese issues are the same for the Bahamas and everywhere else. People need to rehumanize themselves. Everyone got fat and greedy. Now, people are forced to be on a diet, so, expect the grouchiness and its accompaniements to be around for a bit while the cream has the opportunity to rise back to the top.
Posted by:Mar 13th 2009, 07:15:38 am
MSHillsVery good job Colin!
Posted by:Mar 12th 2009, 08:14:57 pm
GrouperGood job Colin!
I feel sad for those who miss the ol' way of life on Briland...and even more sad for those who never knew.
Posted by:Mar 11th 2009, 10:39:39 pm
ColinSometimes I feel like Cassandra on this board. And other times I feel like the resident historian. And then there's the me who just loves Briland to death... This time I'm a bit of all three. The Bahamas, and this is particularly true of Briland, have risen and fallen with America's economic fortune. Remember the ghost house and the Royal Family visits? The days when Runaway and the other big lovely (not TOO big) houses were built? Those were the result of the second wave of big money to rush onto Briland. Those were the days of Juan Trippe and the real Jet Set and the nice, gentle Pink Sands (not the current one of people who got lost on the way home from Miami Beach). Before that were the days of Rock House and the Prohibition partiers. When I first came to Briland it was 1970. The Bahamas were not yet completely independent. Cars and trucks were -- VERY sensibly -- banned except for the very few businesses that could not function without them. And the island truly deserved the sign that greeted visitors as they walked along the Government Dock. We are now at the end of the third wave. Some houses will shutter. There will probably be a Ghost House or two The new Valentines will look as greedy and as ill considered as it always was. And Brilanders will adapt. Fishing and farming will rise in importance again. Some will move to Nassau or the States. Most will survive and live quieter lives with fewer material goods, just as is happening in America. The squeeze may help restore some balance to Briland. Anything that helps rekindle the strong sense of community and kindness -- with a heavy dollop of wicked earthy humor --that seems to me the essence of being a Brilander can't be all bad.

And before anyone accuses me of living in the past, I use the past as a mirror. And I'm not ignoring the poverty that has marked Briland living for some. It is the richness of the island's spirit that marks me and gives me hope.
Posted by:Mar 11th 2009, 09:40:08 am
snowyTo be blunt, Harbour Island has changed. TOO expensive, charm gone. Who likes to get dressed up when on island time!
Posted by:Mar 11th 2009, 04:15:32 am
kristiThere is nothing to do about the seaweed - it's a part of nature. Aside from the stinky smell when it dries it is actually beautiful when looked at up-close. Besides it is also good for plant fertiliser when dried - but then again I could be wrong.
Posted by:Mar 10th 2009, 08:44:07 pm
brilandbeautyI am not often amazed by people's comment but this one bites all. "Seaweed", is an issue for you? I think the economy and the crime rate should be top priority for the winter residents who are packing up because when they first came to the island they met seaweed and long after they'e gone it will still be here. The inflation of prices on the island is due to the "new money" surge we've experienced over the years. The island has tried to accomodate all the requests and demands put upon it. You ask for gourmet, you got it...unfortunately with it came the price for it! As for the service, I too will admit I see a great decline and appreciation for our tourist and winter resident alike. We (Bahamians) promote service yet we fail to produce the best service necessary (in my opinion. I wish I could offer up an explaination of this but I can't. I would say this, I think the demand for service has become overwhelming and the need to serve subdued. Simplyput, we've gotten comfortable!
Posted by:Mar 9th 2009, 08:12:33 pm
ash12wow! i wonder if i would be able to purchase a house on the beachfront! forty homes wow! wonder where are these numbers coming from. harbour island is one of thee only islands which has a continuous boom with tourist. who,s soever purchasing the $30 dollar burgers, probaly they want to do so! i sometimes go there myself at sip sip. pinksands, raymora bay,the lounge, the marina. i can easily cook at home (BUT) i choose to buy out when i want to! nobody has a gun to my head to must buy at these places, i was over at paradise island staying at atlantis, eating at the restaurants there. the prices aren,t that much of a difference. winter residents can easily cook at home but they choose to eat at sip sip or the other so call high priced restaurants! an to note ( THERE ARE MOST PEOPLE FROM THE MAINLAND WORKING AT THESE SAME PLACES). if we the residents collect the seaweed from the beach? where are we suppose to dump it! how can the natives stop nature at hand! the local goverment paidout over $2000 dollars to move seaweed from a small area between two hotels. thats just one lil area for all that $$$. i.ve been to all of the hotels for lunch and dinner and the service was excellent. i dont know,ve the locals abusing all winter residents,,probably you,re talking of a personal experience. tourist expect minimum levels of service standards wow wee!
Posted by:Mar 9th 2009, 03:05:49 pm
ColinAre there really 40 some houses for sale?? Anyone have a clear sense of the state of the Briland real estate market??
Posted by:Mar 9th 2009, 02:33:32 pm
Richard PRock Sound circa 1972, here we come ...
Posted by:Mar 9th 2009, 02:29:32 pm
ash12are you FYI or the messenger
Posted by:Mar 9th 2009, 01:30:19 pm
WilsonFYI, and don't shoot the messenger:

Reasons why tourism is way down on Harbour Island and will probably never come back:
1) Beach has been destroyed by tons of rotting seaweed and local residents refuse to do anything about it
2) Rotten service by self entitled locals who can't comprehend the fact that tourists expect minimum levels of service standards (ie cleanliness, politeness and punctuality)
3) Ridiculous pricing for everything ($30 hamburgers at SipSip? Are you people nuts??)
4) Creepy guy with malnourished horses roams beach harassing tourists
5) Locals have abused the winter residents to the point that they are all leaving in droves (40+ homes for sale, think about it)
100) The "economy".

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration