Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Volunteers Needed To Paint Speed Bumps Up Track
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 2Total of 23 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:Apr 22nd 2009, 02:39:53 am
kristiAmen
Posted by:Apr 21st 2009, 08:16:02 pm
brilandbeautyI believe that if you hit people where it hurts, it curves their desires. Fine each and everyone of them that violate the tranquility of the island. When they can't afford to pay ..and they can't...take away their bikes. As simple as that!! Kids play in the middle of the streets everyday and recklessness (even noise) should not be allowed.
Posted by:Apr 21st 2009, 05:16:14 am
kristiI too agree that where the body was found (I would assume where I saw the flowers) is too far from the speed bump. In any case, I did see that a sign was posted near one of the speed bumps but not on both. This of course was when I was there and could be different now. I also noticed that many young people were driving them as well as my eldest daughter made a remark to me saying that she too should be able to drive in the streets (she is only 10). Of course I don't agree. Ash is right in that more speed bumps need to be added and everywhere for that matter. They do make people slow down. Who is the person with the loud motorbike that zooms around at a speed not even fit for that place? I can't believe that the police haven't even said anything about the noice he makes with his bike.
Posted by:Apr 15th 2009, 08:52:54 pm
brilandbeautyI'm no forensic scientist but I don't think that the cause of death was reckless driving over the speed bump..but simply reckless driving. I walk that strip almost everyday and it is clear that the speed bump is almost 3 lengths (6 seaters) away from where the body landed. I was also on the scene that night (late nighter) and witnessed the positioning of the young lady. It was as if the driver was attempting a "U-turn" at high speed. Thus, throwing her off the side. I've been thrown off of golf carts in the same manner (late nighter) and it was a result of going too fast on a high wheeler and attempting to turn without slowing down and/or stopping. From the looks of it, I think that's what happened and you wouldn't even need to be drunk just neglegent, reckless or careless. So it is incumbant that we make our guest aware of these possiblities and provided them with adequate information on how to operate these vehicles (not toys)!!
Posted by:Apr 14th 2009, 05:09:15 pm
ash12signs has been put up indicating that speed bumps are on the road approaching. an investigative unit has been at the site where the accident happened to figure out the cause
Posted by:Apr 13th 2009, 03:44:58 pm
smittyI thought the carts had governors on the engines that limited their speed.In all the years I rented from Cookie, I never had a cart that could go faster then 10 mph.and there were no speed bumps.
Posted by:Apr 13th 2009, 12:48:05 pm
KimberlyGod love Fred Ross :-)!

Yes, the cart rental operators should make doubly certain that their clients understand the rules ... but I have yet to see a golf cart on Harbour Island that doesn't have that old 'drive on the left' sticker on the windshield. And it seems to me that an aware parent would figure out that traffic patterns on Harbour Island at the moment do not in any way resemble the bumper cart ride at Disney World.
Posted by:Apr 13th 2009, 12:10:24 pm
Barefoot IslandgalMy condolences to the family of the young lady!

I don't know the situation surrounding this tragic accident but I do agree with BB. If the people are made aware of the dangers when the carts are no operated properly they would be more cautious! I have seen alot of them treat the carts like toys. They allow their minors to drive on busy streets not only endangering the pedestrians but also the driver.
It is sad when some one has to lose their life just for a problem to be recognized.
Posted by:Apr 13th 2009, 08:24:04 am
Maddie20 years ago my neice was stopped one night by the owner of the golfcart company from whom her grandmother had rented the cart.
She had 5 kids on the cart and Mr. Ross took the cart away from her and made the kids walk home, which was a very good lesson!
Posted by:Apr 13th 2009, 12:45:34 am
The spanish inquisition"i,ve seen alot of kids driving golf carts also, tourists should know better."

They do. They just don't care.
They don't respect the law, they don't respect the people, they don't respect the country.

Problem is, so many people see the tourists as their precious source of income, they'd let them get away with whatever.
Posted by:Apr 13th 2009, 12:43:30 am
The spanish inquisitionHave the speed bumps been made any better?
I remember when they were first built, and even rebuilt a few times, they were just leftover tar and rubble. Needless to say, in a few weeks they were smoothed out in flatted, from all the traffic.
-And rendered useless.

My point is:
stop taking shortcuts wit the speed bumps. I highly suspect that the "speed bump" which killed the young lady was really flat. That combined with the dark is more than enough that, when hit by even a medium speed driving golf cart, can make it lose control.
Posted by:Apr 12th 2009, 11:45:02 pm
brilandbeautyThe persons that are renting these vehicles to the tourist should dot heir part also. Some people that come here think the golf carts are toys and as such treat them that way. The merchants/vendors have an obligation to the customer to educate them on the dangers of operating and using a golf cart/motorbike etc. So, if the police issue tickets, vendors educate their customer and we paint the speed bumps with this stop the speeders?
Posted by:Apr 12th 2009, 10:24:06 pm
AmelieWhat common sense officers you speak of, the ones who drive loud autos about an island rather than walk or bicycle? talk about warning a burgled person
Posted by:Apr 12th 2009, 09:39:07 pm
ash12well imagine the island without any speedbumps at all
Posted by:Apr 12th 2009, 07:21:39 pm
Big SlickSpeed bumps dont stop speeders, officers issuing expensive tickets does. It would also be a way for the government to collect extra revenue. It seems on this island officers dont want to be bothered with upholding common sense laws.
Posted by:Apr 12th 2009, 06:21:36 pm
ash12i,ve asked the council over and over to to so. past and present council,,,but hopefully we,ll get some onthe roads this time around.
Posted by:Apr 12th 2009, 01:04:06 pm
KimberlyHey, Ash ... can you rally local citizens in Triana Shores to build a few speed bumps up there, while we're at it?
Posted by:Apr 12th 2009, 11:23:04 am
HIflyerWe have rented golf carts on oher out islands that had decals on the windshield saying drive on the left and drivers license required. Hopefully the guys on the big motorcycles doing 60+ will only kill themselves. Golf carts that do 30 are very dangerous since locking the brakes baarely slows them down. It is miraculous there have not been more accidents here.
Posted by:Apr 11th 2009, 11:26:21 pm
ash12i,ve seen alot of kids driving golf carts also, tourists should know better. there needs to be more law inforcement when it comes to people letting KIDS drive. on a daily basis i see adult tourists on the passenger side and under age kids behind the wheel!i think its my duty as a caring citizen to stop them and atleast let them know that it is against bahamian law to do so
Posted by:Apr 11th 2009, 10:25:53 pm
KimberlyWe apparently need more speed limit signs, too ... FIFTEEN MPH, people ;-). (And yes, Mister Loud And Noisy Motorbiking Man, this means you, too!)

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration