Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Hotel owners stealing personal tips from poorworkin staff
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 2Total of 27 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:Jul 26th 2009, 01:31:48 pm
brilandbeautyRichard P, I thought we were discussing the issue of credit card tips going missing!! What can the employees do to ensure that their funds are received. I did hear that Coral Sands has discontinued pooling the tips, so I guess and open discussion lie this one, helped that satff there. :-)
Posted by:Jul 26th 2009, 02:33:52 am
Fig Tree News TeamPlease note that it has come to our attention that the person posting as Boom Boom is not in fact local fire captain Jefferson Davis. While we encourage the posting of local issues and complaints under nicknames, we MUST understand the identity of the person posting if the virtual town hall of the Briland Modem messageboard is to continue offering locals an effective way to air their grievances. Thank you for your understanding. Please email info@briland.com to clarify at your earliest convenience, else the relevant postings will be deleted.

Thanks
Fig Tree News Team
Posted by:Jul 24th 2009, 08:58:01 pm
ash12so what are the managers and owners saying about all of this? did the person get they,re $500 bucks (TIP)?
Posted by:Jul 24th 2009, 07:01:43 pm
brilandyoungriderlol lol lol Dam i want say things about where i work but lately i've been to out spoken at the fact that these managers treat you how they want and is say what they want say to you and you cant say a word back but i learn to surpress my anger and do my job cause i need the money got bills but ive been through a spiteful road since i came back to work and even waled in on these people talkin about if anything should happen they goiin send me home for nothin!i didnt say anything to my manager when i came back i was told becasue i didnt speak until the last part of the night to her i started getting less days and the other person was getting more days than me i didnt say anything cause it doesnt make any sense cause i aint gettin the right away and a couple of times i didnt even get my tips from them amen if i talk anymore youll know who i am. i just want my money from these people and call it that cause i done been through it with all these hotels and im sorta tired ready to start my own business got alot of ideas to stand up high as a bahamian...
Posted by:Jul 23rd 2009, 09:20:58 pm
Richard PDo, about which part?
Posted by:Jul 23rd 2009, 09:05:25 pm
brilandbeautySo what should we do?
Posted by:Jul 23rd 2009, 08:27:18 pm
Browneyesnice to see that now the hotels in question have to watch out for the long term staff.....I can see alot of them looking for greener pastures with the other properties. good luck and good bless
Posted by:Jul 23rd 2009, 01:03:29 pm
Briland_AmbitionPERSONALLY I DONT PLAN TO WORK FOR PPL ALL MY LIFE AND I DONT THINK I CAN WORK IN THE HOTELS IM NOT SAYING ANYTHING IS WRONG WITH TI BUT ITS MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE I LEARN TO SPEAK MY MIND FROM MY MOMS SO I THINK I WOULD EITHER BE FIRED OR PRINTED IN THE FRONT PAGE FOR A BOICOT EITHER OR I WOULD'VE TOOK A STAND Dnt stand for something you would fall for anything
Posted by:Jul 23rd 2009, 11:15:18 am
Richard PI am so proud of yall you finding your voice. I only ask about computer, bec you can start your own business with computer. Working wtih weddings, photgraphers, film crew, teaching is all.

CONGRATS BRILAND, keep using your keyboards....
Posted by:Jul 23rd 2009, 10:49:21 am
Briland_AmbitionMy mother has been working at the hotel from I no myself, and I think they try short change them when i say workign ?I mean working 20 plus years and the pay checks are still the same !!! working more hours then suppose to and not getting paid. because of her i didnt report the hotel and private homes to the labour board. HOW CAN YOU MAKE ME SHARE MY TIPS !!!! HOW CAN I BE WORKING FOR SO MANY YEARS IN THE SAME POSTIONS BEING DEMOTED AND THEN PROMOTED? no law in BRILAND no type of justice when it come to the hotel sector, as of using the computers WHHHHY richard P? Why learn when the only avaliable postions are maid,bartending, gardening office jobs are limited!!!!, its all garbbage waiter to maid maid to gardner I think the hightest postion in the hotels next to office clerk or adminitration secetary is bartending and waitress/waiter its frustrating !!! DO ANYONE NO WHAT THEY SHOULD BE GETING PAID! HOW MANY HOURS SHOULD YOU WORK? WHATS ARE YOUR DUTIES?

MY MOM HAVE PRIVATE HOMES AS WELL AND THEY CALL HER OUT OF HER BED ANY TIME OF THE NIGHT!!! THATS NOT HER HEADACHE!!!!!! She takes care of the homes not the home owner!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like there being blinded thank GOD you can work two jobs on Harbour Island else you wont be able to make it there Were is Justice? i plan to print a labour book and send it how FYI miminum wage is 150 thk i wonna work some were for more then 2 years and making the same thing RUBBISHFOOLISHNES non the less GARBBAGE do local government part take in anything on the island honestly ? lets put things on the for front is it necessary having a local goverment? What are they doing? using the money from the treseary to help the Islanders or hlep them selves ? Not to stray from the topic i was home couple days ago and the holes in the road after it rain you can swim in them

WAKE UP BELIEVE IT OR NOT EVEN THO THE HOTELS UNDERPAY THE WORKERS KEEP THE WHOLES IN THE ROAD AND THEN THE HOTELS WOULD GO FROM UNDERPAYING THE STAFF TO LETTING THEM GO, TH eisland is small everyone work hand in hand>
Posted by:Jul 22nd 2009, 09:41:57 pm
brilandbeautyWowww.....thank you guys!!! Silence no more and although this is a sensitive topic for the hotellers...they needed to hear it and I pray that they are listening. If your room rate and meal costs increase so should your staff's salary! That's only the fair and humane thing to do ...well done!!
Posted by:Jul 22nd 2009, 08:27:23 pm
jayjaytO bOOM bOOM I THANK YOU POSTING THIS TOPIC AND I WILL ENCOURAGE ALL THE HOTELSTAFF SUCH AS PINK SANDS,THE HARBOUR LOUNGE,THE LANDING, THE LOWEST PAYING STAFF ON THE ISLAND ,tHE GOVERMENT REALLY NEEDS TO GET BEHIND THIS,HOTEL ROOMS ARE 500.00 /1200.00PER NIGHT AND STICKING RIGHT TO THE MIN WAGE ,rOCK hOUSE ,sIP sIP ,rOMORA BAY CLB YOU GUYS HAVE A HEART.
Posted by:Jul 22nd 2009, 08:13:47 pm
jayjayUnder investigation we have learned that carol sands staff has restored there personal tips an pam we do thank and aplode you! the landing not toby (tracy) we will be coming at you next season the staff members have not been giving a raise in 15 years! the staff are still making $5.25 per hour you go there and get a piece of cheesecake for $16!and a martini is$16 which in you can pay a full bottle of greygoose dont have a cheeseburger! its $30! and he worries about 2 waitress serving 50-70 people a night! and dont complain i heard they take you off the schedule! (victimization) dont be there and dont smile with the owners and not smile thats a problem how can you smile? when half the time your hungry and cant afford to pay for food cause your check is so damn (CHEESIE)HOW CAN YOU SAY IT'S A RECESSION AND POOL THERE PERSONAL TIPS! NOT ONLY THAT I HEARD THEJ GRATUITY IS SICKNING! WAT COMES OUT OF THE GRATUITY TO YOUR WORKERS (TRACY & TOBY) BREAKAGE,FOOD,NAPKINS,CHAMPAGNE GLASSES ETC.? I SINCERELY FEEL FOR THEM PEOPLE I SERIOUSLY THEY DON'T STRIKE ON YOUR ASS WHEN EVER IN THE PEAK OF YOUR SEASON! TAKE ACTIONS YOU STAFF MEMBERS THEY NEED YOU JUS LIKE YOU NEED THEM. N THAT IS MY $5.25!
Posted by:Jul 22nd 2009, 06:37:40 pm
buddyAND BY THE WAY ITS ANOTHER THING GOING ON WITH THE STATT AT THESE HOTEL,SOME OF THE STAFF THAT WORK THERE SO LONG,THEY ONLY GIVEN THEN FOUR TO FIVE HOUR A DY TO WORK,SAYING THAT THEY NEED TO LEAVE BECUZ THEY BEEN THERE TO LONG, OR THEY WOULD FIND AL KINDS OF LAME EXCUSES, JUST BECUZ THERE WAGES ARE MORE THEN THE STAFF THAT JUST GONE THERE,NOW COME MAMAGMENT THAT IS WRONG
I NO ABOUT ONE HOW BEEN WORKING THERE FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS THEY CUT THIER HOURS TO FOUR TO FIVE HOUR WITHOUT SAYING ANY THING TO DEM, DIDN,T GIVE DEM NO REASON, OR NUTTING, BUT YOU NO WHAT KISSES GOS BY FAVOR IN THESE HOTELS AND I NO THAT FOR FACT, THINGS LIKE THESE THINGS NEED TOOOOOO STOP.
Posted by:Jul 22nd 2009, 05:50:01 pm
bigthingI think we the staff at these hotels need to work 2gether n stop lettin the employer think we r dumb n silly n that we know what money is. All the hotels on this island are having the same issues with less days 2 work n when your supervisior are talkin 2 u bad ,u still do your best ,so to all those who feel there is no hope ,guess what? better days are comin n those who have the power b merciful , solook up u 2 will come down.
Posted by:Jul 22nd 2009, 05:34:04 pm
bigthinghi
Posted by:Jul 22nd 2009, 02:45:34 pm
ash12if its true,some of the staff should,nt steal steaks rum or any other item. just address the situation together (STAFF, managers and owners) before it gets to much out,ve hand. employee has rights also. along with the other parties mentioned. concrete evidence will be needed
Posted by:Jul 21st 2009, 10:39:47 pm
jenkinsYes!! I am back again...I do apologize for calling names of people that work their, but people need to know what is going on, the staff members are being to silent about this madness, they are settling for less. I say to you staff at coral sands and the landing. STOP BEING JACK ASSES!!! THEY ARE STEALING FROM YOU. START A STRIKE AND FORCE THEM TO GIVE YOU YOUR TIPS!! IF EVERY WAITSTAFF GOES ON STRIKE...WHO IS GOING TO SERVE THE PEOPLE!!!

I am amazed at the fact that they settle for the chicken change they are giving. I have heard that the chef put a camera up because he suspected the staff was stealing the steaks and lobsters. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO IF YOU ARE NOT PAYING THEM THEIR MONEY. like i said in my earlier posting, he recieves allowance every month!!!

to the accountants of the establishments, if you know whats going on you need to step up and do something about this garbage...

If my comment is deleted rather quickly then expected...its because of the guilt of the managers their..i expect to see this comment for a month at least..let the world know wats going on at the top tourist destination in the bahamas...

to coral sands, if you are missing steaks and lobsters, and bottles of rum, its because your staff are fat up with what you are paying them. PAY THEM WELL OR THE STEALING WILL CONTINUE!!
Posted by:Jul 21st 2009, 10:17:53 pm
jenkinsWell it is high time i post my comment, i am a waiter/waitress at one of the hotels at coral sands. the thought of being fired is preventing me from revealing my true identity. I have experienced this maddness for years now!! I personally remmeber i was tipped 350 dollars from a table of 8 ppl, at the end of the month i was payed 125 dollars. If you are pooling tips, (so they say) my tips should have been a whole lot more then that...I have seen my other co workers be tipped up to a hundred a night to come up with that little bit of money at the of the month. To pamela brouchier, and toby, you need to stop this madness, give your employees their tips!!! You shoud have no control over their personal money...I have heard waitresses from hotels cry that they never get their tips...I have spoken to staff from the rock house...they say they get every cent of their tips....you need to speak with don and wallace, and find out what procedure they use to keep their staff happy.

this is why you have staff stealing from the place they work, because they are not being payed. but it is people like the local bahamian accountants at these hotels that know what is going on and refuse to speak up. Money is the root of all evil, and what your doing coral sands and the landing is EVIL...It is sad, knowing that your staff have to tell visitors not to tip on credit card because they wont recieve, and in return you suspend them for a week!!!! this is outrageous...

On the positive side i have heard that coral sands staff are happy with their (kitty) at the end of the month. But!!! why is the gardener being paid more than a bartender!!!! It shoud be on a point to point bases like Pink sands...

I dont mean to point fingers at hotels, but these are hard economic times for people in the hotel industry, why pay me $4. 25 cents a hour, then turn around and take my tips away from me...that is awful!!

I feel so sorry for the staff at coral sands especially, poor scheduling, and poor management has them BROKE...the chef there has all his bills paid, he gets gratuity, plus free food from the hotel. but from a personal interview with a staff memeber, he makes noise if a staff memeber eats a piece of bread!!!! Come on chef ludo, you get paid too much to worry about a slice of bread. Its awful...i feel so sorry for the staff there...I pray for theresa, merilyn, john, kia, paula, fran, gazel, kervin, ambrose, roger, ritchie, kyien, every night because they are getting robbed...the guest need to know what is happening to their money...it sure is not going to the staff...shame on you coral sands and the landing...YOU ARE THEIEVES!!
Posted by:Jul 21st 2009, 09:48:33 pm
ash12wow! $$$$$ hundred is alot to take from a hard working waitress! especially now adays!

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration