Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Lack of Police Actions
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 2Total of 37 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:May 4th 2010, 09:43:45 pm
ash12did the couple leave from the aledged rape incident or did the couple get fired? the inquiring minds want to know. there are many rumors going around.even about this CCTV footage.why now with the posts? alot of people come to the island to work but they indeed do not care about the island itself! they live secluded in they,re bungloes on they,re properties. if you talk about drugs! some of these very same folks who come to work on the island for the wealthy and famous employers buy and use more drugs than any native either on the mainland or on briland!
Posted by:May 4th 2010, 08:06:34 pm
snowyAgain, thank you Kimberly.
Posted by:May 4th 2010, 02:46:52 pm
KimberlyDear The Truth, Uncool:

There is absolutely no one, including the infamous PartyMan, that has been banned from participating in the forum. You may be having issues with Internet access, given that you are posting from Harbour Island ... many of our members experience slow access from time to time, which we have repeatedly tried to correct over the years. Rest assured that you are not being censored.

My final comment here is, there are three sides to every story.

In the interest of discretion, given the history of the relationships, visibility of all involved and their respective employers, I would strongly suggest that you figure this out diplomatically offline.

Thanks
Kimberly
Posted by:May 4th 2010, 08:12:54 am
Tuck ShopUglyAmerican is that you??? This is extremely Troll like behavior and use of language, I don't think these two, if they are two different people, I think it is the same, have an agenda for some reason.

Board admins can you see location IP's on this board? Are these two different people? or even as I suspect just another board name of the poster UA ???

Do you prevent someone from posting like it says or is that just B*llSh*t and trolling behavior?

I may not like some of the discussions on this board and feel that a lot of it is just above faceless Sip Sip but I don't like people hiding behind a computer screen spouting hate and bigotry even less.

Posted by:May 4th 2010, 07:45:20 am
The TruthThere are nice places in The Bahamas but Americans say they will never go back there because people are selfish as a general rule. If it does not direct affect Bahamians they will turn a blind eye and that includes cops and government official, etc. The criminal element is tenacious and most of the good guys have simply given up, so yes, the bad guys are indeed winning. Unfortunately corruption is very rampant in the Bahamas. Every Bahamian know that. It has been a problem for years and will continue because it is a part of the nature of the Bahamas.

Americans are growing wary

As the Americans have done it in the past the US Department of State recomend that specially students travelling in groups should take note to be extremely aware of their surroundings at all times The advisory also warns travelers not walk alone in isolated areas or after dark. Be particularly cautious on secluded beaches. And when traveling, use only clearly marked busses or taxis, the advisory cautioned. Students should avoid being alone with a group of strangers..

Bahamas Consult also recommends to be careful on the way to a nightclub or when you come out of discos at night. We have a real crime problem here in the Bahamas. The US statement cautioned American citizens to stay away from drug peddlers, and advised against accepting packages from people during their stay. Visitors found alone or incapacitated have been victims of rape, robbery and assault. Intoxicated young women have been sexually assaulted after reportedly being drugged.

That is anly a piece of many many news papers articles, I came across during my search about the bahamas, after what happened to me. I have planty more and will be more than happy to share it with you all.
Posted by:May 4th 2010, 07:31:26 am
The TruthFirst of all, dont you all think it s rather strange that my fiancee has been blocked from the forum after posting the accusation of my rape? he is now not able to post another comment or reply and defend me and himself...
I do not care about my reputation on the island any more, we left that place and hopefully will never come back. All i want to do is to warn people, so no girl has to go through what we went through. Yes, I was intoxicated, but as clearly shows on our CCTV cameras, him dragging me out of the golf card to the bushes. it shows clearly as day, that I cant even walk, he had to hold me and literally drag me to the bushes, behind the garbage bin like some sort of trash. There is no way I could beg him to have sex with me, becouse I was unconcious, as it show s on the cameras. The police has the footage as we gave it to them, but they have decided to ignore it. must be some kind of family connections so the case was never under the investigaton.
Yes, apparently i was kissed by some other man on the dancefloor in front of my fiancee, but it only proves, that I was drugged and my behavior was definately not my normal behaviour and trust me, even if i was only drunk out of my head, I would never kiss, not to even mention have sex with...a black guy. I am no racist, but who knew me just a little bit, knew that I alwasy said I couldnt be with the black men, never! I just have absolutly no attraction towards them.
He knew i was valnurable, and pretending to be our friend, took me to the bush, raped me, took my underwear like some sort of a throphy, and not only that, he hang out with my fiancee after that like nothing happened. What kind of man does such a thing. He is a rapist, lier, with absolutely no values or morals, and the fact that there are people who defend him, makes the island and its peolpe look even worse.
I understand that the whole island is one big family, and you have to support each other, but all I want right now, as the case has been dismissed, is to warn other girls. Please, Please, Please be careful, do NOT leave your drink on the bar, do NOT accept any drinks from the locals. They are friendly people, but as I learned myself, and i was not a tourist on the island, they just follow their basic instincts, just like animals do...because they just dont know any better...and I feel sorry for them
Posted by:Apr 29th 2010, 12:41:30 pm
The spanish inquisition"whrn others are allowed to use such vulgar and inappropriate language."
Oh please, get over it, get over yourself. If I'm gonna express myself freely, I'm gonna express myself freely, and there's nothing you can do about it.

" But, then again, it may be a result of a "different social culture". So sad."
I'm right from briland. Problem is , I think and have a mind of my own. I have a brain and actually use it.

"The victim's intoxication and alleged kissing of another man does not disqualify charges of rape against the accused."
Looks like it did.
I'm reading now kimberly saying " incorrect initial charge of rape were noted and dismissed. "
Like I've been emphasizing they were all drunk, and the police and those in charge know better than to waste their time.

"I've not encountered ever on Harbour Island this anger at tourists and white persons as found in The spanish inquisition's commentary. I ponder, if this were a US or European tourist accused of rape against a local Harbour Island woman would The spanish inquisition offer as gallant a defense of the tourist and vile degradation of the local woman?"
I never said I was angry at tourists or white people. You assume I discriminate because they're tourists and white, but I'm more angry at the locals who allow themselves to be REPEATEDLY walked over and taken advantage of by ANYONE, but I'm infuriated that ANYONE would cry rape to save their own skin (in this case, a white female tourist).
-And yes, if it was a local local female who lied about being raped, I'd be just as pissed in defense of the male tourist. But then, I'd just be seen as another white person who doesn't care about the locals and puts the interests of the tourists first.

"Racism isn't the issue here, so much as the suggested sense of exceptionalism that a visitor to our shores ought to be allowed to do or say whatever he or she wants to in public within our rather conservative community, without social recourse save those aspersions cast on whichever local he or she was with at the time."
EXACTLY.
Posted by:Apr 29th 2010, 12:02:49 pm
KimberlyTinsel, I'm white and grew up on the island without incident. My family has been in place since the 1930s, and we have been active in business and education in the region. Bahamians are an inclusive polyglot of people.

Racism isn't the issue here, so much as the suggested sense of exceptionalism that a visitor to our shores ought to be allowed to do or say whatever he or she wants to in public within our rather conservative community, without social recourse save those aspersions cast on whichever local he or she was with at the time. Again, this is a tight-knit community that is miles more conservative than you may realize, which is why in my initial note suggested that we are far different from the USA and Europe in many discernible ways.

You may not agree with Spanish's writing style, but I can empathize with his feeling at times like a second-class citizen in his own home. Some of the condescension written here, whether intended or not, is a bit much for a proud Bahamian to stomach, and I'm guessing that Spanish is at his limit.

Kimberly
Posted by:Apr 29th 2010, 11:52:00 am
KimberlyHarbour Island is not one of the most popular tourism destinations in the world without cause. Brilanders are some of the warmest, most engaging lifetime friends that you'll ever make.

News and specifics of the recent incident travelled fast around the island and country, and police and local government were immediately consulted, witnesses interviewed. The special exceptions to the incorrect initial charge of rape were noted and dismissed.

I understand your issue with Spanish's language, but the Briland forum isn't a court of law where everyone is expected to assert their opinion with George Bernard Shaw-flair. A man's family member was unjustly accused of a pretty horrible act, and a family member rose to the occasion to defend him.

Visitors to our island are always safe, but good manners go both ways. Our island is small, and damage to a reputation takes years to repair.
Posted by:Apr 29th 2010, 09:48:27 am
TinselShan't tourists be safe on Harbour Island? Was The spanish inquisition present when the alleged rape transpired? If not, then the accounts according The spanish inquisition are quite certainly hearsay naught facts. The victim's intoxication and alleged kissing of another man does not disqualify charges of rape against the accused. This is quite unfortunate. Social nuances are not the law and rape is against the law in The Bahamas. I've not encountered ever on Harbour Island this anger at tourists and white persons as found in The spanish inquisition's commentary. I ponder, if this were a US or European tourist accused of rape against a local Harbour Island woman would The spanish inquisition offer as gallant a defense of the tourist and vile degradation of the local woman?
Posted by:Apr 29th 2010, 08:41:50 am
GrouperKimberly, I believe I understand the situation as described. It is truely unfortunate for all involved. My comment was more focused on the terminology used by others as they explained the circumstances...as they see them. The forum, to date, has been as useful tool when used for the manner in which you describe. However, I do not believe it is well served whrn others are allowed to use such vulgar and inappropriate language. But, then again, it may be a result of a "different social culture". So sad.
Posted by:Apr 28th 2010, 08:52:48 pm
The spanish inquisitionYou know...in retrospect, I am HONORED that someone would think that because of a single post made by me, that the ENTIRE forum has gotten out of control.
Posted by:Apr 28th 2010, 08:06:14 pm
KimberlyHi, Grouper:

I well understand discomfort with the present discussion, but the fact is that these kinds of accusations have been levelled over the years, many of which later turned out to have no basis in merit. The initial poster did not make a reasoned comment as to why this sort of activity might be happening on the island, which caused understandable consternation among the Briland forum community. The Briland board was created to effect a virtual town hall for Brilanders, and has never claimed to be a safe haven for politically-correct conversations. A raw nerve has been exposed, and sharing opinions is absolutely within its charter. While it may very well be the case in the USA and Europe that a woman always has the right to say no, the fact is that the Bahamas has always been -- and intends to always be -- a completely different social culture. I'm sorry that the incident happened, but the circumstance have been explained to have been completely contrary to the charges offered in the initial post.
Posted by:Apr 28th 2010, 07:38:37 pm
The spanish inquisitionWhy grouper?
Cause I can have AND support my opinion?
Cause I see things and say things for what they are?
Cause I have a mind of my own and don't bend to the will of politicians, tourists and old people?
Cause I have a voice and I ain't afraid to use it?
Cause I have a sense of what's right, wrong, and ain't afraid to call people out when they're full of it.

Or is it just cause you expect me to conform to the tried and true ass-kissery of the Bahamian people?

Please.
This is why briland and it's people ain't goin' no where.
Keep livin ya life doing the same old same old, then let other peple come in and tell you how to run the island and live your life.
Posted by:Apr 28th 2010, 07:17:33 pm
GrouperKimberly,
I understand this is a sensitive issue. However, based on the wording of the last post/comment, I would safely say the forum is out of control.
Posted by:Apr 27th 2010, 09:51:38 pm
The spanish inquisitionTinsel, you say
"Not Cool was not one bit provocative."

Now, here's where you tourists like to beat around the bush and merely imply, and expect us not to get your message.

He said:

"I would have thought that in a small community like Briland, some upstanding individual would have done something about this as surely the Island stands for better morals???"

He's insulting our moral standards, implying we have no upstanding individuals.

and this one is my personal favorite:

"lack of action and also that his friends and family find what he did perfectly acceptable. "

Implying his friends and family are ok with rape, for whatever reason, and implying the police aren't doing anything about it.

Well maybe the police aren't doing anything, but the reason the police and his friends and family are so calm, is because they see the story for what it is;
They were all DRUNK. Shit happened.

"My Girlfriend was drugged".
Remember what I said about taking responsibility?
Now honestly, I don't think any of the drug peddlers are smart enough to smuggle anything other than it's staples "coke" or "weed".
Ask anything them to spell GHB or what a roofie is, and they don't know.
So somehow, a date rape drug found its way to briland, and in this womans drink?

Bullshit.

She was drunk.
Hey, maybe she found some weed and got high and relaxed enough to come on to this guy.
Or maybe she was coked up enough to put her tongue down someone elses throat in the middle of the dance floor and fuck anything with a dick.

Or maybe it was just all of the above.
Posted by:Apr 27th 2010, 09:33:57 pm
The spanish inquisition"The reputation of his loved one has been tarnished"

You think her rep has been tarnished because she's a grown woman who got intoxicated, had her tongue down some guys throat, then kept coming on to another guy, who she had sex with, then cried rape?

What about the accused rapist?
Look at this line:
"the Malicious Rapist is still walking the streets and preying on other woman."
See that? You think the ACCUSED rapist now doesn't have his rep tarnished now and forever? Yes, he was drinking too..THEY BOTH WERE. And I was told in her drunken state, she kept coming on to this man, (as in he tried rejecting her) but SHE wouldn't take no for an answer.

But let's be reasonable, mature, adults here:
They were all drunk.
They all made mistakes.
Now it's time for them to be mature adults and take responsibility for their actions.

Bottom Line:
They were drunk.
Shit happened.
Case closed.
Posted by:Apr 26th 2010, 08:19:30 am
Kimberly"My Girlfriend was drugged and raped on Briland two months ago and the Malicious Rapist is still walking the streets and preying on other woman.
The Police have not yet arrested him and I am appalled by thei lack of action and also that his friends and family find what he did perfectly acceptable.
I would have thought that in a small community like Briland, some upstanding individual would have done something about this as surely the Island stands for better morals???"

Words are powerful, whether slang or orofane or profound. Yes, this is our home, and we are protective of our home. Ash12 asked Not Cool to substantiate his allegations, which he chose to not pursue.
Posted by:Apr 25th 2010, 04:54:04 pm
TinselThe publisher is partial to the accused. Not Cool was not one bit provocative. Not Cool made no use of vulgar language and profanities. The publisher extends no comfort to Not Cool. The reputation of his loved one has been tarnished by mean and careless accusations on this thread.
Posted by:Apr 25th 2010, 02:49:45 pm
snowyNicely said Kimberly!

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration