Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Travel & Leisure/Briland: Letters to the editor
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 1Total of 2 messages
Posted by:Dec 31st 2003, 10:02:03 am
MaddieI have been coming to Harbour Island since the early 1960s and Dick Malcolm is absolutley correct; it is the Brilanders that make the Island.
Posted by:Dec 30th 2003, 05:35:27 pm
Fig Tree News TeamLetters, January 2004
From the Bahamas to Barcelona

I loved the October issue of Travel + Leisure, especially Michael Gross's article about Harbour Island ["The New St. Bart's?"]. I went to Briland for the first time in 1986 at the age of 16. What initially seemed primitive to a teenager— there was no phone or television—soon became a relaxing paradise. My family and I went snorkeling and scuba diving at the Romora Bay Club, ate fresh conch salad while watching the sunset, and periodically lunched at Pink Sands, which had a TV in the bar, to catch up on the news. Harbour Island had a welcoming, small-town atmosphere. I look forward to returning and I only hope that it does not become too overrun by tourists.
—ALYLEEPER, JACKSONVILLE, FLA.

Found online at http://www.travelandleisure.com/invoke.cfm?ObjectID=DCA312DF-2BAA-465B-BF7249F74D119970

Michael Gross's article about Harbour Island was a captivating read, but, as the son of Pink Sands founder J. Allen Malcolm, I must object to Philippa "Pip" Simmons's claim that her ability to attract the French fashion set to the Oceanview Club in the late 1970's put Harbour Island on the map. Opened in 1951, Pink Sands laid the foundation for tourism with a clientele that included movie stars and former prime ministers. Furthermore, island resident Basil Albury established the Dunmore Beach Club in 1963, and Brett and Sharon King have been receiving guests at the Coral Sands Hotel since 1968. The irony is that none of us is responsible for the island's success. As charming as our accommodations may be, the borderline-hysterical fascination with Briland would not be possible without the Bahamians themselves.
—RICHARD MALCOLM, HARBOUR ISLAND, THE BAHAMAS

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration