Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

graduating class of 2004
Click here to return to the subject menu.

Search messages for:

in message text

in author name

Search subjects for:

in subject title

Search subject archives:
Month
Year

Page 1 of 1Total of 11 messages
Posted by:Jun 29th 2004, 11:14:39 am
JohnThe Harbour Island Day Nursery is remaining open all summer this year except for two weeks for remodeling, in attenpt to assist families that work and need day care for their children. The day nursery is not profit and a large portion of the income to the Nursery comes from gifts from local business and winter residents. This is our second year open in the summer months to provide a service to families and at the same time provide an educational experience for the children.
Posted by:Jun 28th 2004, 03:31:30 pm
KimberlyThought that this was an interesting article that dovetailed perfectly with the conversation at hand:

Facing The Summer Dilemma

Godfrey Eneas
The Bahama Journal
25/06/2004

Bahamian summers are generally hot, raining and hurricane prone. It is also the time when Bahamians spend time on our beautiful beaches and in or aquamarine waters.

Summer vacation could be a great time for some youngsters and for others a miserable couple of months. In The Bahamas July and August are the months when all public and private schools be they primary or secondary are closed and thousands of boys and girls are released from the daily rigors of school attendance.

For many parents, particularly single mothers with children of any age group be they toddlers, pre-teen or teenagers, this could be a nightmare for 8 to ten weeks.

The fundamental point is that the school, specifically the public school system, has become more than an institution of learning. The school now fills an important social vacuum as more and more females enter the workforce and are outside of the home, generally 8, 9, or 10 hours each day in our hotels, banks, ministries or even as straw vendors and hair braiders catering to the thousands of tourists on the cruise ships.

The change of the family structure has exacerbated the situation as grandmothers themselves are still employed well into their 60’s and some in their 70’s. The neighbourhood concept is no longer prevalent as it was in the 40s and 50s. Many people live in dwellings with multi-units – the apartment complex. The dynamics of a changing lifestyle has drastically altered the manner in which children are cared for now that the absentee parent is a common feature of Bahamian life today.

The question, The Bahamian society in our urban centres of Freeport and Nassau has to pose to itself, is whether or not corporate Bahamas or civil society has a greater role to play in this sphere of life in our two cities.

Productivity in the workplace must suffer to a great degree when parents and more so single mothers are unable to focus totally on their duties at work when they have concerns about the welfare of their children who may be home unsupervised for 8 or 9 hours each day. It is common behavioural activity to see working parents, more so single mothers, dashing home or stepping out from work to check on their children. In some cases taking them lunch to ensure that they are fed during the day.

A distracted or unfocused worker is prone to make mistakes. These mistakes could be catastrophic for a company and when an employee is not concentrating on his or her work this could be costly.

On numerous occasions, I have seen hotel maids taking their children to the nursery as early as 6:00 a.m. in order to be to work for 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. There are numerous stories of mothers leaving children in the schoolyard as early as 7:00 a.m. in order to get to work on time. During the summer vacation, how do these mothers cope?

Entities like the Bahamas Hotel Workers’ Union should be one of the leaders in assisting their membership in addressing this situation. The Union should have some kind of community outreach programme to help and alleviate some of the pressures being faced by their membership, whom one could presume is dominated by females who face this kind of summer challenge.

Corporate Bahamas cannot continue to turn a blind eye to gender issues in the workplace.

The Bahamas is a country where females play critical roles in the household and in the workplace. Further, this is a relatively young country where a high percentage of females are of child bearing age so gender issues cannot be swept under the carpet; they must be faced and dealt with, if not there will be serious fallout either in the household or the workplace and possibly in both environments.

Psychologists like Dr. David Allen have spoken on numerous occasions about the degree of violence in our society and the fact that our society displays too much anger. Is this behaviour learnt or inherited?

Many youngsters will be inundated with TV watching this summer. Studies have been done that show where TV has had direct impact on creating violent behaviour in even toddlers. Action toys are big products for television and computer games. By controlling the child’s exposure to the video or TV material, the child’s acquisition and deployment of aggressive behaviour can be influenced. Researchers find these programmes caused clashes in the playrooms, nurseries and Kindergarten. The war toy games either on video or TV have had a negative affect on young children. These programmes will not improve our situation.

Programmes based on engendering health values like proper nutrition should be implemented for our children during this summer vacation, if not as a society we run the risk of many falling through the social cracks of our society. Too many of our young children are suffering from diseases like diabetes because of junk food. This summer many kids will live off junk foods like cool-aid and potato chips.

The Bahamas can no longer adopt the ostrich syndrome and put our head in the sand pretending that the scenario does not exist. It is here and civil society should act. Facing the summer could be stressful.
Posted by:Jun 23rd 2004, 12:24:21 pm
snowyMAybe some of the local businesses i.e.banks, hotels, real estate etc. could do "internships" for those kids that excel...show them what their business entails etc. Reward the students who excel with something to really look forward to....kids need goals! Maybe some of the adult brilanders who are in management positions around the island could mentor some of these kids ....just some ideas!!! Kids need rewards...
Posted by:Jun 21st 2004, 04:19:44 pm
fabuloustiny"To each, their own' or something like that.

I do agree that it's horrible that only 3 students graduated, they had enough time to do what they needed to do ensure they met the requirement for graduation, unfortunately many of them chose to let that opportunity pass them by.

In the year I graduated, they just introduced the G.P.A. thing to us and it was new, (kinda like a foreign language), yet many of us still managed to graduate. The only thing I can suggest for the Class of '04 to do is to try learning a trade, but not meeting the requirements for Graduation doesn't necessarily mean that they arent smart kids, it means that they chose to give into "I wanna do what my friends are doing' and Peer pressure. Most of them are in the Dance on Wednesdays or weekend, smoking, having sex or doing what they have to do so they dont have time for school and education.

If a better effort is made by parents to ensure that their children are focused on school and being students instead of gallavanting, I am sure that this year's result s would not repeat itself. Yes, many of them dont plan to leave Briland, as for the jobs available in Briland,,, there is not limit to what you can do! Entrepreneurship is also an option, you dont always have to work for other people, you can find something that will work for the community and go for it.

It's a Pity and a shame, nonetheless!

Kudos to those children who did well. Focus people, Focus!
Posted by:Jun 20th 2004, 12:35:09 pm
MorbidNah, those managitorial jobs are already taken by either older people.(ages 30+) or the foreigners who run the place.
I dunno, how much the bank pays, but that's also filled with adults and eleutherans (sp?).
I'm pretty sure the fishing thing is all experience. Does bone fish joe have a bachelore's degree? He spent years to get to his level of expetise.
We're talkin' about the youth and why they don't wanna excel in studies. Over time, they can make good money washing yachts and giving tours.-No degree needed.
They don't plan on leaving briland. The don't see the need to.
They have clubs to go to.
Drugs to get high.
And a little bit of money so they can stay in mom and/or dad's house (aka a roof over their head).

Personally, I can't see myself spending the rest of my life in the service industry (bartending is fun thouhg...).

Oh, briland's service industry. Chances are, those who didn't graduate will get jobs locally as bus boys, waiters, dish washers etc. The lucky ones or more talented ones can make it as chefs, or start their own little businesses (hair salon, mechanic). My point is, none of those jobs need good grades, yet supply humble wages, so they don't hafta do good in school.
It's like, they can fail and be practically garunteed a job.

As for the price f groceries, well...
The store owners DO hafta make a profit. Everything is shipped in (that's why those that grow plants and stuff sell their product for so little. It costs nothing to grow). If the stores lose money. then there'll be no stores, THEN where would you get groceries?

I say the problem could be solved if the bahamas starts producing it's own food on a large scale so markup wouldn't be so high.

About the web page designiner kids-I dunno how much there are, but I can only name one. At least he's smart enough to go to COB to get a computer related degree that'll open up more oppurtunities-and earn higher salaries.
But how many kids like that are there? If the class of '04 only had three graduates, you think those that didn't will take up something like web design?

Anyway, on a final note; that marine biology stuff maybe needed, but like I said, the youth doesn't see the need to participate. Every thing they need is right in briland.

*sorry for any and evey typo I made. I'm on a macintosh. Weird keyboard keys.
yeeesh
I hate these things.

And still, I'd like the names of the graduates.
Posted by:Jun 18th 2004, 07:39:05 pm
MaddieI agree that the wages for housekeepers and maids are ridiculously low, especially considering how expensive everything is in the stores.
Posted by:Jun 18th 2004, 07:39:02 pm
KimberlyInteresting discussion here.

So, Morbid suggests that there are no well-paying jobs on Harbour Island that really require a solid education or degree.

I'd have to disagree, as there are management jobs at local hotels, businesses, the bank to be had, and the competition's fierce ... to be a top fishing guide ** and making $250+ a day tax-free ++ you have to understand currents, oceanography, climate changes ... the farmers cooperative on Eleuthera is begging for assistance from someone local with an agriculture degree ... there are kids on the island just out of high school that are designing $2,000 web pages for local businesses ... and Lord knows that the island could really use someone with a background in water conservation issues, marine life issues to work with local government on port authority issues.

Yes, too many of the jobs on the island are pretty low-paying lately, but that doesn't mean that we just have to give up of rising through the ranks of employment.

Education's a huge part of becoming an important contributor to your local community.

Just my .02
Kimberly
Posted by:Jun 18th 2004, 11:59:44 am
Richard Pyes, people,... i am Still wondering why so many house directors and maids are working for the same wages they parents got twenty years ago ...when did harbour Island get so budget? dont people see that you get what you pay for? oh I miss Mr. Dodge
Posted by:Jun 18th 2004, 11:11:24 am
MorbidLOL
WOW.
I thought graduating with seven was bad...
I think the names of the graduates should be posted (seems to be an accomplishment).

As for the whole irrelevence of education...well...think about it. They go to school and that's it. School and education play's no other part in there lives. The parents can't afford college and there's no good paying job on briland that requires an astronomical G.P.A or a degree of any kind (to my recollection) so the kids have no reason to excel in their studies-most don't plan on livin' outside of briland anyway.
Kids take the traits of their parents, so chances are, the parents were the same way when they were in school (I think there's a biblical quote on that subject-something about the sins of the father falling on the children...I think).

If the kids wanna roam, let 'em roam. If they lack respect, they lack respect. If you think the adults who run briland now are doing a good job, then they must be doing a good job. If briland is doomed, it's doomed. By the time it's wasted, we'll all be dead and gone, then MAYBE these kids would realise how good they had it.

Oh, the goose.
Laid eggs, owner got greedy, killed the goose but inside the goose was empty.
I dunno how this applies to briland (no offence).
I don't see anything special or "golden" coming out of briland.

It's a pretty place. That's about it...
Posted by:Jun 16th 2004, 09:05:52 pm
rudegirlSorry the goose was actually killed to get to those golden eggs. An even more appropriate analogy I think.
Posted by:Jun 16th 2004, 08:38:57 pm
rudegirlIs it true that only 3 students actually graduated from the all ages school this year? I was shocked and dismayed to learn this. What is happening to Harbour Island? What are the priorities of these childrens' parents? Do they really believe that an education is so irrelevant and if so why is this? What values are we passing down to the next generation who seem to be running wild in the streets these days? There is a blaring lack of self-respect and with that respect for others. People, it is time to wise up and realize that this tiny island will not be able provide livelihoods for those not willing to make the effort to better themselves and thus the world around them. Think of this island as that goose that laid the golden eggs; you get too greedy and neglect the bird and she will stop laying those eggs.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration