Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

What are your earliest memories?
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 8 messages
Posted by:Mar 23rd 2005, 11:04:57 pm
RichardMy first trip to Harbour Island was in 1975 when I was 25 years old. My parents had been coming there since the early 50's and staying at Pink Sands. In those days, air tickets were transferable, so when my Dad became ill at the last minute, he just gave me and my wife their tickets--and of course a letter of introduction to Allan Malcomb to explain who was taking their place. Believe it or not, my father even told me to go and get a "letter of introduction" from the head of the little local bank! And it was accepted! Do you believe, all that only 30 years ago?!Mr. Malcomb met the taxi boat thinking it was my parents and one other guest. Turned out to be us and Raymond Burr. I quickly passed the letter of introduction and began my love affair with Harbour Island.
Posted by:Mar 15th 2005, 10:41:02 pm
Richard PMy wife has been going to Briland with her parents since she was quite young. When she was in college, their trips usually coincided with Spring Break, so that lucky dog would get to spend the week in paradise (My professors found it wildly entertaining to assign huge semester grade projects that were due the day after break!)

Anyway, Mary wanted to take me to Harbour Island for our honeymoon in 1999 – however, an unruly and uninvited guest named Floyd had recently made a mess of the place. This caused for planning difficulties, and she wanted the first time I saw it to be perfect. So, we made other plans, knowing that we would definitely go to Briland one day.

That one day was Easter 2002, and my wife’s whole family went. Her parents rented two houses for two weeks and the family came and went during that time.

I was instantly hooked! We did so much in the week we were there! Boating, swimming, snorkeling, “golf carting”, eating, drinking, beach combing, relaxing…

We enjoyed the two “extremes” of Briland – jumping right into the mix of the crowd at Valentine's and Seagrapes to simply floating around and taking in the solitude of the beach. If the wind was blowing one direction, we just took the cart to the lee side somewhere by Girls Bank. When the power was off at lunchtime, we went to Avery's – they cook everything on the grill anyway! (I had one of the best tuna sandwiches that I can remember!)

I really learned a lot about myself – I discovered that I really didn’t need all those clothes… I can leave the house without a shower if water is low, you’re just going to go swimming … you can not only get by on bread and butter for breakfast (or any meal!), but it is a “real meal” that you will crave… and that even I can be an early riser, especially when a rooster lives down the road…

We had a wonderful time that I will always cherish! I was very quick to realize that I wanted this place to be a part of my life forever, and that I would do what I could to visit as often as possible!

RP
Posted by:Feb 28th 2005, 02:14:05 pm
ColinMy family arrived in Briland when I was in the ninth grade-- 1970!! We headed in to North Eleuthera on a Mackey DC-3 flight, complete with stewardesses and uniforms on the pilots. I still remember wearing my jacket and tie (Ah, those were the days) and stepping off the plane from Chicago in Miami. We had to walk outside the airport terminal to mount the roll-up steps to those grand old silver birds. Even though I wore a Madras blazer and light slacks, the humidity and warmth left me slightly dazed and very happy!
When we got off the plane in Eleuthera the bustle and laughter was grand. I walked over to the gentlement hauling off the luggage, worried about my fishing rods. They were fine, thank goodness. And the luggage handlers, seeing how silly I was being, very kindly carried my rod case out of teh terminal and put them by the taxis.
Then came the rollicking ride to the pier in those ancient taxis and the lively chatter and negotiation between drivers and families and Anthony's crew as we tried to get on the African Queen before she loaded up.
Many of you will remember Flo Gibson, who owned RUnaway Hill back then. She came down and met us at the pier in one of the island's only station wagons. I elected to walk up, which became something of a tradition in our family.

That trip Herman Higgs took me out on my first bonefish excursion. We worked the banks at the far north end of Eleuthera. And I can still see his strong frame on the poling platform, pushing that homemade boat along. He spotted a tail about 50 feet off. I cast my shrimp and followed Herman's direction to bring it right in front of the fish. The bone obligingly swam up, took my bait, sent my old spinning reel singing, gave me several frights as he headed for the mangroves and thoughtfully did not break the line. Thus I caught a bonefish on my first cast, my first time out. Perhaps sated by this experience I have nevr joiend the legions of those obsessed with bones. Instead, I fish for them every now and then and target boxfish, Queen triggers, grouper and some of the open water fish instead. After all, they taste better!
One of the glories of that trip was the regular appearances by that grand man, William Bullard, and Donny and some of the other gentlemen Bull sang and played with. Going to Pink Sands to listen to the Percenties introduced me to the joy of local Calypso. And that is a gap, I think, in today's Briland. I may be tremendously fusty, but the traditional Bahamian songs boast humor, naughtiness, and joy that you just don't hear in the newer tunes coming out of the Bahamas. Thank goodness for James and his efforts!
Some of you may remember our family for its famous departures from Briland. My mother, step-father, brother, two sisters and I would all be done at the dock crying our eyes out as we boarded the African Queen. That was another tradition we established on that first visit.
Posted by:Feb 27th 2005, 06:25:40 am
DakeMy earliest memory of Harbour Island was when I was 4 years old and my parents had come to the island from nassau for a visit - I remember waking up ealry one day and they were still asleep. I unloked the front door of the Lightbourn house and walked around town. It was a sunday because church was in. I walked into the catholic church and people were in line for comunion so I just joined in and I think the entire church was in shock that I was actually there in line for the litte rice cake. The priest actually gave me one and ofcourse just then wouldn't you know it my mother found me there in line. She had woken up and I was not in the house so he had been on the hunt for me and there I was in line for comunion ?

The second memory I have which is probably also the second time I was on the island was with my auntie. She was a fashion model and my mum could not afford a babysister so they would always send me along with my aunt because it was like free babysitting. It was summer and ofcourse hot, I remember riding back and forth on Anthony's ferry all day long and remembering the sunset on that last trip back each day --- I remember wanting to be a water taxi driver and ride back and forth all day long. I suppose some childhood wishes do come true as I do happen to ride back and forth to the airpoirt quite frequently now.
Posted by:Feb 26th 2005, 02:54:06 pm
briland's bestOne of my earliest memories of my island home is the awesome joy of walking familiar streets feeling so one with the rhythm of the island; hearing the frogs croak on a rainy day or listening to the mighty waves beat their drums along the oceanside - pure pleasures I was blessed to have embraced! To this day - I can always escape to those soothing memories!
Posted by:Feb 25th 2005, 11:57:27 am
KimberlyMy earliest memories of growing up on Harbour Island center around the smell of the diesel fumes of Anthony Mather's 'Briland Queen' ferry boat, and the taste of the Borden's rum raisin ice cream at Miss Frances Newbold's shop (now Sheena's). Even today, when I'm around diesel fumes in a marina, I immediately flash back to riding on Anthony's ferry to and from Eleuthera during the day ... and years later, sitting on it at night with friends while listening to the sounds of the harbourfront. The harbourfront was most exciting when the island power went off ... no artificial lights to interfere with the sky lights above.
Posted by:Feb 25th 2005, 08:32:42 am
MaddieMy first trip to Harbour Island was in the mid 60s. We arrived by seaplane which pulled up to the ramp at Valentines.
We stayed at Pink Sands and we walked everywhere because there were no golf carts!
We went bonefishing with Joe in a wooden boat and we used spinning rods and pieces of crab for bait. We went to "Florida's" Church and the Percentie Brothers would come to Pink Sands to perform.
Posted by:Feb 23rd 2005, 06:15:26 pm
Fig Tree News TeamHow did you first hear of Harbour Island or North Eleuthera (or, if you were born here, what's your earliest experience?)

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration