Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Island Poetry
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 5 messages
Posted by:Mar 15th 2005, 04:36:43 pm
briland's bestI am my very own thoughts and emotions.
As deep as the ever flowing
ocean.
Colorful to the plain eyes I
appear.
Hold me, and I am visibly
clear.
Posted by:Mar 13th 2005, 08:24:13 pm
brilandchickBahamaland! Bahamaland! Oh my precious Bahamaland!!

Blessed is it with the sun, sand, and sea. Attracts millions of visitors just to come and see!!

With Palm tress and glee,pinksand and reefs, its all so special and not to mention unique!!

From Grandbahama to mayaguana oh so bless are we!! From Hidden Treasures beneath the sea to the Shoreline were we put our feet!!

Bahamaland! Bahamaland! Oh my precious Bahamaland!!!

Posted by:Mar 11th 2005, 02:52:36 pm
island ladyStrains of Charlie Lofthouse’s ‘Island Woman’ play in the background, as the audience witnesses Mary Magdalene's press conference at sunrise service on Easter Sunday down sea at the fig tree, complete with flashbulbs, cameras and shouting reporters from the Guardian, Tribune, Bahama Journal and the Punch, dressed in identical Junkanoo-style prison uniforms, their publication names emblazoned Burnside-style on sandwich-style placards in large letters.

We see several women of differing ages, including ** Mary the Mother of God ** dressed like everyone else in loose clothing except for a straw halo around her long grey dreadlocks ** plaiting straw and sewing raffia, with a white-suited policeman directing traffic stage left.]

Mary Magdalene:

And I’d like give a shout out to my mummy-in-law, my boy’s main squeeze, the reason why were all here today: Hail Mary, full of grace/The Lord is with thee/And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. [Miss Mary Mother of God acknowledges the crowd with a sage nod, and goes back to her weaving.]

Women:

Amen, amen, amen.

Mary Magdalene

Oh, how I love that name. [Beat.] J-e-s-u-s. And no, I een ga count the ways. Not for yinna, not anyone. But today is one happy day now, eh?

Women:

Yes, chile. Hallelujah.

Mary Magdalene:

Glad to be here. First question? [Beat.]

Nassau Tribune:

Miz Magdalene, word on the street says that you’re involved with an underground terrorist group with designs on removing Haitians and Jamaicans from the country. Do you wish to comment?

Mary Magdalene:

Chile, yinna really think that its going to be that easy, eh? You een from round here, nah? I tell you, you could fool some of them, especially them control freaks over there. But why I should care?

The Punch:

But Miz Magdalene, arent you worried about what people will say? Tsk, tsk.

Mary Magdalene:

Tsk, tsk yourself. Who you to be talking, anyhow?

The Punch:

Certainly you realize that you’re in position to set a moral example for the youth of the Bahamas.

Mary Magdalene:

Doon make me daid now … tell Ivan I said hello.

Nassau Guardian:

Can you please answer the question, ma’am?

Mary Magdalene:

Een so, the answer is hell, no. Muh peeps in the Out Islands are the onliest ones I wan talk to. They’re the only ones fool enough to ask the right questions, the onliest ones who actually care about what going on 'round 'ere.

The Bahama Journal:

How so?

Mary Magdalene

They the only ones ain’t afraid of me around here.

Nassau Tribune:

Don’t know that you should be so certain of yourself here these days, you know.

Mary Magdalene:

Oh yeah? Ya gatty love the ones with a sense of humour, nah. Mussee good reason why Mister Leonardo to put me at the table with the rest of them in that painting now, eh? [Beat.]

The Punch:

They will start talking now, for true.

Mary Magdalene:

Chile, you really think that I reading them headlines in the Punch? You really think that I care what the Romans in Nassau does have to say any how? Or whatever them Boys is calling themselves today eh?

Nassau Guardian:

Sister --

Mary Magdalene:

Who you think you hushing? Them twisted, funny little men and their puny ‘ats and fake obeah rites and hidden bones and all. They really think we stupid now.

Woman:

Yes, chile.

Mary Magdalene:

They mussee thinkin that we can’t see straight. [Beat.]

The Bahama Journal:

Well, we have it on excellent authority that you knew the Savior personally.

Mary Magdalene:

Yes, ma’am, I do. [Beat.] And he’s very much a man. Yah, I see yinna wondering nah. All of the time. Is that what you wanted to know? [Beat.] Have you met our son James? [Buzz of disbelief from the reporters, as MM continues.]

The Punch:

How do you respond to the widespread reports of loose behavior at Vic Hum last week, ma'am?

Mary Magdalene:

Now lissen here, we een no whores. Thats pretty rich storytellin’, even for them fools down sea. I een no guldern whore. I descend from the royal Tribe of Benjamin.

Nassau Tribune:

Is this really for the record?

Nassau Guardian:

Does this mean what I think it means?

Mary Magdalene:

Yinna know full well what that means. And for true, you what scarin' erryone out dey tree? It means that our son James is the fruit of the two strongest tribes in Judea. Jah rule!

Woman weaver:

Chile, you know they een ga no idea what you sayin there, might as well save ya breath. [Goes back to plaiting.]

Mary Magdalene:

True dat. And if word gets out, them little game is up, eh. Finished. [Dismisses the gathered conference of reporters.] Bye-bye. [Beat.]

(Moves over to the gathered weavers, as she picks up hat that she started plaiting earlier, and sits down with them. Yeah, gyal it means that we women can get back to business and that the joke’s on them.

The End.
Posted by:Mar 10th 2005, 03:57:07 pm
NIKNAKWhy is it that we never recognize the moment love begin, but we always know when it ends?
Posted by:Mar 5th 2005, 02:14:04 pm
briland's bestToday the sun is good to us -
Bahamas we ought not fuss.
Blue sky, cool breeze -
tickling the palm trees.
This is a day -
to go out and play!
Swim, dive -
whatever makes you smile.
Walk, run -
just get out and have fun!
Sing, dance -