Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

To Our future Developers and investors
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 6 messages
Posted by:Jun 26th 2005, 02:54:07 am
BrilandkidThank you Maddie for your response and encouragement, The people of the Bahamas has never viewed you (winter residents) as meddlers or interloper our winter residents were always a part of our families not just in Briland but in other parts of the Bahamas that hosted winter residents. Our winter residents have been a part of our lives as far back as I can personally remember. You (winter residents) were known as our extended families. There was no unequal we were all one and treated each other as equal. We always felt sad when you left to return to your countries whether USA or Canada. Germany and others We always awaited your return back home to the Bahamas. So our winter residents should not consider themselves an interloper you watched a lot of us (Bahamas) grow and extended assistance when called upon without hesitation. Thanks to winter residents and regular visitors I was able to further my college education and life experience in Chicago IL. I have worked in positions in several of the top 500 companies in the USA. This could only be achieved with assistance from caring family . Guess what, I am only one and there are lots more. Thanks to our extended Families. But no matter where in the world I go it is the Bahamas I will always appreciate and love so. It is Home.
Unfortunately the travel atmosphere has change to what it use to be. There are ones that are traveling that could not afford to many years ago. They now come and claim to be so knowledgeable about our country and our best friends and know what is best for us and they do not know diddly squat. Their money they think will buy them knowledge and prestige. Yes it will in circles of the same level which is very low. What they canít buy is the love and appreciation for this country. For them it is for what they can gain profit and by any means necessary even at the cost of our homes. They have driven the property values out of site for natives. They must remember the Bahamas is a democratic Country and there will be a vote sometime in the near future. We will stand up for this Country, Caution rouge developers, overdevelop and you will face regulation, The Bahamian people will act to protect this Country at all cost. As for our extended families (winter residents) you have always and will be welcome home as always. You have always had a place in our home and hearts you were here through it all. Let us continue our mutual respect as we have for many, many years. Mi Casa yu Casa. THANK YOU FAMLY.

I call upon my Bahamas government to act now to limit the amount of property and regulate what is sold to development to foreign investors on any given Island that is occupied by a Bahamian citizen. This must be done to preserve our heritage. I urge you to consider it before it is if not already to late. This you must do without delay, we have entrusted you to manage our future. I will certainly mention this in my press relief to the local news papers in the very near future. I will also address you on forum soon just stay tune Ministers and get an ear full.

Wake you Bahamas wake up, nothing come to a sleeper but a dream.

Hot and sweet Thatís Briiiland!!!
Posted by:Jun 25th 2005, 03:28:31 pm
MaddiePlease know that your American winter resident friends are on your side. It may seem like we are meddling sometimes but we only want the same thing you do. Keep up the good work on behalf of YOUR country and your friends!
Posted by:Jun 25th 2005, 08:57:58 am
BrilandkidI like to add a note to this post. I was asked If I am against big development. I wish to go on record and say that I'am not. I'am against overdevelopment and will fight overdevelopment in any part of the Bahamas where these rogue developers seek to push natives into the sea and destroy our enviroment. The key to development is develop resposibly and our government must also do it's part by setting limits and regulating property sales and development. If the government do not do it now they will have to do it in the future. and then it will be nessary for very strict regulation Which the goverment then will have to enforce by law and implement penelities and fines. By not over developing will avoid these and other tragic problems in the very near future. When Bahamains are friendly people but keep crossing us and you will see a new box that we will come out. Kindness should not be taken for weakness. and there are many Bahamians that feel like I do. and we are very alert and quite willing to stand up for this country.
Posted by:Jun 22nd 2005, 02:21:57 pm
Fig Tree News TeamFrom the Miami Herald:

UP FRONT | BAHAMAS
'Loyalist Cay' in revolt against new development
Descendants of British loyalists who fled the American Revolution are fighting a massive development project on a quiet Bahamian island

BY JOE MOZINGO
jmozingo@herald.com

GREAT GUANA CAY, Bahamas - This isolated thread of land has long been a redoubt against change, a place where town decisions are made under a fig tree and the sound of time passing is no louder than the rhythm of surf on an empty beach.

Most of the 150 or so permanent residents descend from British loyalists who fled the American Revolution to remain under the Crown. Over two centuries, they clung to their old ways and Anglo roots, refusing to mix with Bahamas' black majority and intermarrying so much that they still joke lustily about fresh blood when single outsiders move in.

''Just like mosquitoes,'' quipped Jacqueline Roberts. ``Oooh, virgin blood.''

So perhaps not surprisingly, a plan to build a massive 585-acre luxury golf-and-yacht resort that would cover the entire north third of their island went down like a spoiled piece of conch.

The $500-million Baker's Bay Golf & Ocean Club will cater to the rarefied high end of the yachting crowd, which is drawn ever more to the string of ''Loyalist cays'' and the sheltered waters of the Sea of Abaco.

Already under way on Guana's traditional hunting grounds for land crabs, Baker's Bay will include a Caribbean-style shopping and dining area, 359 high-end home sites and a marina that can handle 200-foot yachts.

It is the biggest project in a wave of development that is transforming the long-isolated islands in the northwestern section of the Bahamas.

Mega-yachts pull into scrappy old rum-runner ports, Florida's newly rich hunker over beachside bars with local crabbers, mansions rise on empty limestone bluffs, prices soar.

But on Guana, many residents say the golf resort is taking the trend too far.

They say that land crabs they have eaten for generations will disappear, that runoff from the golf course will kill the magnificent reefs, that the marina will pollute the shimmering green bonefish flats of Joe's Creek.

FIGHTING BACK

And they have been fighting with a vengeance rarely seen in this laid-back former British colony. They formed the Save Guana Cay Reef Association, demonstrated in Nassau, launched a publicity campaign, fought for an injunction to stop the developer from breaking ground and sued the government for approving the plans.

They've won some fights, but so far the project is still going forward and is set to be completed in 2010.

''It's not an antidevelopment thing,'' said Aubrey Clarke, 64, a perpetually barefoot man who likes to wear a black top hat. ``Listen, they're already selling properties up there for a million dollars. It ain't like we're slouching.''

``Just don't kill our reef.''

Clarke embodies a certain raffish side of Guana that many fear will be priced out. With ragged blond hair and feet and toes misshapen by years of barefoot life, he likes to talk of his days doing ''grasshopper'' runs from Jamaica -- smuggling marijuana to Florida. Now he mostly lives off odd jobs from Nippers, a bar known far and wide for its splendid views of the cobalt Atlantic and drunken, clothing-optional parties.

``I got no wife. I got no children. When I leave, the story's over. This island's all I got.''

Representatives of Baker's Bay say the project will not damage the reef.

''This is going to be an environmentally sensitive, environmentally responsible project,'' said Livingston Marshall, senior vice president of Baker's Bay. ``We are rebuilding sand dunes, replanting native plants. We are building an ultra-modern wastewater treatment plant.''

Marshall, a native of the Bahamas, said runoff from the golf course will drain away from the ocean into an artificial wetland, where it will be reused for irrigation.

As for the scope of the development, he points out that it will have a density far less than one home per acre.

''We expect this to be a model for the country,'' Marshall said.

NICE DESIGN

The project's opponents concede the project is tastefully designed, with no Nassau-type high-rises knifing into the sky. But they and their paid environmental consultant, Michael J. Risk, a Canadian geologist, say the size of the project could devastate marine life. ''Runoff from the golf course will likely be a death sentence'' to reefs that run the seven-mile length of the cay, Risk wrote.

The reef has always been the mainstay of residents' lives, with its living stands of elkhorn coral and furrowed domes of brain coral, its brilliant purple sea fans and rock shelves teeming with spiny lobster and waters swirling with a kaleidoscope of fish.

The Save Guana Cay Reef members do not want their effort to come off as a not-in-my-backyard, we-got-here-first issue in which their whiteness in a mostly black nation would put them on delicate terrain.

But they say they do fear growth could kill the small-town intimacy of their community, where everybody knows everybody, their tin-roofed cottages go unlocked and long commutes are done in golf carts.

''We want to grow, just like we are, slowly but surely,'' said Christine Sands, 40 and a member of Guana's trio of somewhat related clans -- the Roberts, the Sands and the Bethels. ``It's safe, it's quiet. Children can walk down the road in the middle of the night.''

There is not a single police officer on the cay, residents like to note.

Johnny Roberts, owner of Nippers, points out that locals have welcomed much of the recent progress.

LITTLE WORK BEFORE

Unlike nearby Man O'War Cay -- where the sale of alcohol is banned and the harbor is alive with working shipyards -- Guana never had much work. Now, many local men have turned to carpentry as out-of-towners build second homes in the scrub north of town.

And tourism is growing fast. Visitors spend stacks of cash renting vacation homes, chartering boats to the reef and sousing themselves on Nipper's locally famous frozen rum concoction.

Yet the beaches are still empty, the days languid and the nights so dark that stars cascade over the horizon as if it were the edge of the Earth.

The residents' bubble of isolation has always been a blessing and a curse. In 1906, a survey team from the Geographical Society of Baltimore found the people of the region were poor, white and disastrously in-bred -- with a high rate of congenital blindness, mental retardation and extra fingers and toes.

But in the past few decades, the rise of the lobster industry and tourism circulated some fresh blood into the gene pool.

Donna M. Sands, 44, who married into one of the old clans and came here more than a decade ago, hopes the progress keeps coming -- and welcomes Baker's Bay. She rents out golf carts and is vying for the new concession there. She doesn't talk much about her feelings because she doesn't want to get into a feud.

''People are saying all Guana is against this,'' she said. ``That's just not true.''

© 2005 Herald.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miami.com
Posted by:Jun 4th 2005, 10:51:54 am
dunmore girlOH-MY-GOD! Beautifully documented-Briland I hope you are listening----this is an excellent point of view.
Posted by:Jun 2nd 2005, 05:35:01 am
BrilandkidWe the people of the Bahamas extend a warm welcome to you. The Bahamas is a country that is very investor friendly and conducive to investors. But like any country with a civil society we would like to continue to and coexist with our environment by protecting it. If we did not do that, You would have to question investment decision. Our existence as a people is depending on our environmental resources and it will be limited and ultimately depleted If we continue to allow careless development. So my question to you is would you invest in a country where your investment was a negative?? I do not think so. So it is our right to protect what protect us and that is our environment. Some believe that their money as a right to destroy an environment then they must think again. We are not all asleep and since this is a democratic society the people have the last word not those elected officials. This was demonstrated in our previous elections. We chose them they did not choose us. Where I am going with this is that over development with little or no regard for our future existence and if this is going to be allowed today without a consideration of our future Bahamas and you will be regulated tomorrow. That is for sure. Avoid future regulation by developing sensibly. We the people of the Bahamas welcome Investors and visitors to our shores. We encourage your development with our future and yours in mind and not to destroy But build to improve. Lets coexist with our environment of the Bahamas or any place in the world as well wherever you choose. We are in this world together. Protect what protect us. Again Welcome to Our Bahamas Our Home Sweet Home.

To the folks at Romora Bay Why should we trust you to do what you want and decide what is right for us when you canít even host a simple dinner invite. How very embarrassing.
Valentines you have sucker punch us, ouch!!

To my fellow Bahamians Say no to Over development and environmental destruction, Do not allow this type of careless overbuilding it hurts us and our Children future. This recklessness as been going on too long. Stop I say. Stop the greed stick with the need. Briland you wake yet?

Hey watch my next Post about the big fish hook. Kalik! Kalick! boo-ga-doom boom. ( Boy Briland Sweet Hey!!) Hey Kristi

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration