Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Island Report - July 2005 (Reader Submission)
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 5 messages
Posted by:Aug 14th 2005, 10:45:42 am
The PartymanHow about hiringa motivational coach for many of the local workers.

Their laziness is beyond offensive.
Posted by:Aug 11th 2005, 06:57:50 am
cshoregalRight on Sue R. Where would all the beautiful, friendly locals go; when they can't afford to live on an "exclusive beach paradise" . Let's keep Bri the way it is!
Posted by:Jul 24th 2005, 09:11:16 am
Mr. ToadYou're right. Let's not mess up a good thing by sanitizing the Island and ruining it even more. Keep Briland authentic!
Posted by:Jul 19th 2005, 02:13:50 pm
Sue R.Congratulations to Coral Sands for a pretty glowing review . . . but who wants Briland to become "an exclusive beach paradise"???YECCCCCH! For that you can go to Paradise Island. I like Briland just the way it is!
Posted by:Jul 19th 2005, 11:44:14 am
Fig Tree News Team"My wife and I stayed at the Coral Sands the last week in June into July. I found the previous posts on this board to be right on the mark. This is a very nice, above average hotel on an unbelievable stretch of beach. The whole property has a "casual elegance" about it--very peacefull. The hotel is freshly renovated-dark hardwoods, light airy rooms with stunning views of the beach, and very clean. Even the grounds (which are still a work in progress) are very well maintained and tastefully done. Compared to the nearby, more expensive hotels (Pink Sands and Dunmore), this one is the best value. The owners were very helpful and attentive-we had NO problems with the room, grounds or bills.

We ate at several restaurants on the island and found them all to be above average----but VERY expensive. We knew from previous posts that this was the case and were not shocked. It will cost $75-150 to go almost anywhere for dinner. The best dinner we had was at the Coral Sands itself. The desserts there were outstanding. The Landing seemed to be the priciest and was good but not as good as the Coral Sands. The Friday barbeque at the Rock House was a great value with outstanding food but in season get there early as it fills up.

The island is nice, fairly clean and feels safe. Some areas are residential in the middle of the island and need some updating. There are few cars-mostly golf carts. The main part of the island is very small and the whole island is easily walkable or rideable on a bike--but in the afternoon it is VERY hot. If you are not interested in breaking a bit of a sweat then get a golf cart. If you don't mind a little exercise or adventure then walk or bike.

The few problems I saw are minor. Some of the staff (especially lunch at the beach bar)are exceedingly slow---even allowing for the fact that you are relaxing on a vacation. Alcoholic beverages and bottled water are super expensive-it would serve you well to go to one of the local stores in "town" and buy some rum/beer/and bottled water as it is much cheaper there. The only bikes available to rent were servicable at best. They could cleanup some of the area on the Northwest side of the town---near Bay st and the "lone tree".

Overall Harbour Island and Pink Sands Beach is a wonderful and relaxing place. The beach is everthing as advertised--pink, clean, gorgeous, soft--the nicest beach I've ever been to (and I live in Florida). If the Bahamian Govt and/or the island Hotel owners would invest some capital into renovating and sprucing up the residential areas of the island they could really make this place into an exclusive beach paradise.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration