Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

DOGS IN PACKS ATTACKING PEOPLE
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 2Total of 26 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:Feb 15th 2006, 10:41:49 am
smittyWell, now that we have dogs and people figured out, is it Martini time?
Posted by:Feb 15th 2006, 08:52:56 am
snowySame philosophy can be applied to people too!
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 03:22:47 pm
smittyI got it, I got it.You're probably on the mark as to why a dog goes bad.I'm still trying to figure out people.
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 03:06:00 pm
DakeSmitty, Yes Karol beat me to the punch -- Dogs do not learn how to treat us from birth -- there are no cases in the world of ANY PUPPY EVER biting a human so since dogs get their bahavior from what we humans teach them -- The philosophy is more than ever relavant especially since you at frist glance cannot see the relevance -- If you -- as an informed writer to this site -- do not understand how an adult dog has come to the point of biting humans (NEGLECT AND NO LOVE) then how can the rest of our society grasp this ? As I quoted before :

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 03:01:44 pm
smittyHmmm. I suppose it's possible dogs can think that deeply.
Probably more reactionary then anything, huh?
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 01:49:40 pm
KarolIt most certainly does apply, Smitty. The behavior of many of the dogs on Harbour Island is a direct result of how they have been treated. Many of them have been neglected and abused and this abuse has communicated to them that humans are a threat. We've seen it for years and bear responsibility for the current problem.
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 01:30:00 pm
smittyI don't see the relevance.This whole discussion started about how the animals treat us, not how we treat the animals, remember?Great philosophy, but it doesn't apply here.
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 11:46:16 am
KimberlyThanks, Dake. I like this one, too, which is an Indian (Native American) legend ...

"When a human dies there is a bridge they must cross to enter into Heaven. At the head of that bridge waits every animal that human encountered during their lifetime. The animals, based on what they know of this person, decide which humans may cross the bridge ... and which are turned away."
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 11:30:46 am
KarolThank you, Dake. The best point yet.
Posted by:Feb 14th 2006, 08:56:37 am
Dake"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi’s words remind us of how our own actions determine the kind of society we live in.

Dake
Posted by:Feb 13th 2006, 11:23:29 am
KimberlySeriously, I don't know what else can be "done" to correct the situation on the island. There are regular monthly vet clinics that offer spay/neutering at no charge, but the fact is that a lot of people just don't want to alter their dogs.
Posted by:Feb 13th 2006, 07:50:05 am
smittyI thought maybe it was the garlic..
Posted by:Feb 11th 2006, 06:44:28 pm
SMMSHills, no offense intended, this situation is a real problem. The kidding was focused on the fisherman, not the issue at hand. As an owner of two dogs I agree with you completely, the discussion strayed off course.
Posted by:Feb 10th 2006, 11:00:01 pm
MSHillsyou know what - this isn't funny. I feel sorry for the dogs because dogs are domesticated critters who will well and truly love anyone who takes care of them. They are not feral creatures looking to bite folks. Stop kidding around about this!
Posted by:Feb 10th 2006, 09:57:49 pm
Kimberly... figures. I told you to lay off of the rotgut.
Posted by:Feb 10th 2006, 11:21:22 am
smittyI've been attracting dogs, flies and all sorts of things all my life.I'm beginning to wonder.Hey SM and CM have you not enough flesh to use your name and not initials? Very disappointed, although I have a good idea who CM is.PS Haven't seen a dog yet that doesn't look like its been dead a week.I assume we're talking about the 4 legged variety...
Posted by:Feb 9th 2006, 10:48:37 am
SMNow wait a minute, maybe smitty is on to something. If we used one of his floating snausage flies or sinking raw hide bone flies or whatever he uses to attract dogs to him perhaps they could all be caught and mounted on his wall? As long as the Cleares and Johnsons don't lose customers it could be a good solution.
Posted by:Feb 9th 2006, 07:43:20 am
smittyI'm crushed.
Posted by:Feb 8th 2006, 08:50:58 pm
CMI agree w/ MShills......go back to tying flies smitty.
Posted by:Feb 8th 2006, 01:15:31 pm
smittyMS Hills..You're absolutely right, but I got a response from you didn't I? You'd be surprised how many I've made sick.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration