Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Is the Rest of the Bahamas to suffer the same fate as Harbor Island
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 5 messages
Posted by:Mar 21st 2006, 07:50:30 pm
KimberlyAlong the lines of the earlier discussion, I found this muse online at Bahama Pundit:

http://www.bahamapundit.com/2006/03/the_great_baham.html#more

Food for thought.
Posted by:Mar 12th 2006, 06:49:44 pm
KimberlyDr. Johnson:
I do agree with you that all local Bahamians have been impacted by the vast cultural changes of the past twenty years here, some for the better, some for the worse. And I do see the local Briland economy starting to mimic that of our American neighbor's, with some Bahamians becoming enormously wealthy while other Bahamians hobble along on wages that are lower in 2006 than they were twenty years ago.

Given that I don't see Nassau being the magic answer to our ills, I really believe that Brilanders have to take responsibility for returning Harbour Island to its former vibrant, peaceful, charming, historic self.

I'm not too young to remember my excellent teachers of the 1960s and 70s, who were as passionate about Bahamian and Caribbean culture, arts and history as they were about mathematics ... and I find too few students today who can recite more than the basics of Bahamian history now.

What next? Harbour Island and North Eleuthera are essential links to Bahamian history, and I'd rather not turn my back on those communities. I do agree with you, though, visiting my friends in Rock Sound is a welcome step back in time, to a place where people respected each other, their diverse cultures, treated the land carefully, honored the sea and protected their environment.

Kimberly
St. Benedict's School
St. Augustine's College
Posted by:Mar 11th 2006, 01:29:54 am
The Bahamian NationalistDear Kimberley,
I practiced as a doctor in North Eleuthera in the early eighties. It gave me the opportunity to see what had changed with Harbor Island where I played every summer as a boy, living with my grandmother. I have been back since then several times!
It is actually painful to compare the memories of the sixties , with those of the eighties and those of recent times. The change is stupendous over that forty five year period. The effect on me has been that while I have major roots in North Eleuthera I have deliberately chosen to purchase property in South Eleuthera, Whymss's bight, which , thank God is still Bahamian and not totally distorted and unrecognizable as a Bahamian entity. It is laughable to me that Harbor Island can be rated tops,when a true son of Harbor Island finds its changes totally unacceptable, to the point where I could NEVER live there. You should spend some time in those parts of the Bahamas which have not been altered to the degree that HI has been.
Eventually I will retire to S. Eleuthera and resume Medical Practice to assist the Community. There is no way that I could ever be comfortable with HI in particular, and N. Eleuthera in general the way it has changed.
Probably you are too young to have experienced the really gracious living which was Harbor Island in the sixties and seventies!
The same thing is happening in Nassau, and in other Bahamian Islands. Some days I seriously think that less than a hundred years from now the Islands will not be recognizable as Bahamian centers of social and cultural life at all.
That is one reason why I have launched the Bahamian National Party. For more see www.bahamianationalparty.com
I would love the opportunity to be a serious part of preventing what I have seen happen in HI from happening in the rest of the Bahamas.
I returned from Law examiners meetings in Barbados, a place where I worked three years as a Surgeon, and it is also seriously deteriorating compared to when I worked there in the late seventies.
Fortunately for us we have other Islands to work with. The Bajans have none, so there is always someone worse off than you are, so that is some small consolation.
I cannot but help feeling that we are responsible for these negative changes, simply by being too laid back and expecting that all will be well, but not actually doing anything positive ourselves to see that it is actually well!
I had better stop now. My students know that I can lecture for hours once I get going.
Thanks for your response, and your implied optimism.
Posted by:Mar 10th 2006, 09:16:42 pm
KimberlyWhy do you say that it's too late for Harbour Island? More and more local families are researching their land grants, and clearing up cloudy deeds. More's to be done, don't you think?
Posted by:Mar 10th 2006, 04:52:31 pm
The Bahamian NationalistWithout a proper land use policy, and without solution to the Generation Property confusion there will be increasing tension over all Bahamian Land, Crown land and Generation land included.
I have proposed a Land Bank and a Land Tribunal as essential steps in addressing the problem. Its too late for Harbor Island, but might be of use for some of the other islands!
What do you think?

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration