Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Dillies, Water, 'progress' and deception...What are we Thinking?
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 8 messages
Posted by:Feb 7th 2007, 12:56:36 pm
ORACLESpeech, I will send you an email at your gmail account..we will work
Posted by:Feb 7th 2007, 12:43:06 pm
speechOracle...i am sitting at a computer miles away from home reading your message and am heartbroken. thank you for your passionate and personal response and contribution to this discussion.you are right we must coordinate and agitate. the thing is ther are two issues here, one is fighting the incessent onslaught of harmful developments the other is mending the social decay in the community both require slightly different tactics in my view. the former based in letter campaigns, legislation, demonstrations? politics? the latter requiring young concerned brilanders like our selves and anyone who wants to help setting up projects that empower our youth. i have several plans in that regard one being a preforming arts programe this summer, other ideas such as book clubs,sewing classes,cooking classes,or volunteering for langs programme eeo, are all possible there are enough of us to make a difference we just have to be brave realistic and walk our talk! email me if you like at the following adress
and we can talk good, brilandspeech@gmail.com
Posted by:Feb 7th 2007, 12:04:46 pm
ORACLESpeech, I thank you for opening this dialogue. I am a native of Harbour Island. I have visited this forum several times and viewed comments, but nothing has touched home to me like your points made. I am not aware of the intricate details of the development, but I know too well the price the locals are paying in the name of advancement. The story seems to continue, but on a larger scale. The responsibility is definitely on the national government, the local government and the investors who seem to be for lack of a better expression, continuing the raping of the island, but on a larger scale.

I know too well the price our young people are paying. About five years ago a cousin of mine called me and asked that I call her boss,the owner of one of the hotels mentioned in your article. She had worked from 7 a.m. and wanted to leave at 4:00 p.m. to check on her children and was told point blank if she left don't come back. Following her motherly instincts she left and sacrificed. No mother should have to make such a choice, especially when they are not paid health insurance benefits or unemployment benefits. I did call the owner and was flatly told, that I can call the government minister-it is his friend and he didn't care!! Another cousin was working two jobs, a mother of five and I was shocked that she worked two jobs to go home with $150 at the end of the week!!! Outrageous no where in America can this be allowed and definitely not in the home countries of these investors. Even if there are no laws on the books, common human decency should move them to treat their staff as humane. There should be a moral responsibility to ensure that they contribute to the education of those who work for them. At the least there should be the ability to comprehend the development process, the impact and the inevitable that these innocent islanders, will be second class citizens on their "sweet little Island". Many nights I went to work with my grandmother who was a stellar domestic worker. It was watching her clean three homes at a time, that I as a young woman learned about excellence, fortitude and self-respect, but even so, I still remember he walking miles up to tract to prepare their breakfast, dinner and when she was hospitalized she footed her own medical bills. Another cousin recently died of cancer and it was shameful to see the bank loans which had to be secured because the sum total of her life was the smiles and thank yous of her boss, but at no time was there the concern for the children to be left behind or any security. Again, I say it is a moral responsibility that the investors and government have to the people. We elect our government to secure our hertiage, not to in the name of investment sell the birthright our our children. Those of us who fully understand the impications must rise to the clarion call and begin the process of educating our people. Too many of the young girls are forced into a vicious cycle. The cost of living is escalating. The visions of prosperity are there and they lack the education to get the jobs that would allow them to sit at the banquet table of development. Yet, having a strong sense of entitlement they find themselves giving their bodies over to equally starving young men who lack the sense of responsibility to help with the product of their quest for the assurance that they are someone in their one night stands. So, we see now babies having babies. Diseases rising and our 'sweet little Island" although the hot spot for tourism also the breeding ground for societal corrosion and generational demise! Truly it saddens me to read Speech's article. and I want you to know, I am with you and invite your contact. We must agitate and raise this issue.

Oracle
Posted by:Feb 6th 2007, 08:23:01 am
smittyMy .02 cents.It's later than you think.Some years ago it was decided HI should be bought into the 21st century and made visible, visible,visible.This of course started this whole mess in motion.Tourism rose and naturally developement followed.No rocket science there.To put the brakes on this is a very delicate job.Briland has got its work cut out.After visiting every fall for over 20 years, I can no longer aford it, but that's not the shame of it. In my opion the decision to make HI a prime destination wasn't that bad a call, you certainly needed the tourism income,but the far reaching affect wasn't thought out correctly.Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.
Posted by:Feb 6th 2007, 08:19:58 am
Peoplespeech !

If you know of any bahamians living in harbour island that would want to be involved in our project please have them get in touch with us at people bahamas@hotmail.com

thanks for your support and your intelligent mind.

SIGNED THE PEOPLE
Posted by:Feb 5th 2007, 04:04:17 pm
snowyWe have visited Harbour Island for 10 years. And we stay in the least expensive home owned by a local. We cook in, buy veggies from Anthony and love the Ocean water. We can hardly afford the island anymore. And we don't like the visitors the island now attracts. We are sad your island is changing so quickly. Claim your land NOW. You MUST stop any more development. Its sooo sad.
Posted by:Feb 5th 2007, 02:52:22 pm
KimberlySpeech, I am so sorry that you have thought your presence unwelcome here over the years, but am glad that you have returned to the conversation. Anyone may say whatever they want to in this forum, as long as they maintain a civil tone and don't slander others.

Your thoughts jumpstart a much-needed LONG oeverdue discussion here, and I for one hope that more local Brilanders take the opportunity to chime in.

Welcome back --
Kimberly
Posted by:Feb 5th 2007, 09:07:48 am
speech

This is my first time posting on the board since I was 16, when my remarks were not well received, I hope what I say does not offend, but I will say it anyway; silence is simply no longer an option. Most of you know that currently there are a number of unprecedented development proposals that will irreversibly change Harbour Island if they go through. One 'valentine's' has been built. Romora bay is imminent, and the final blow from the likely merging coral sands/ pink sands and planned expansion looms like a hurricane on the horizon. In the mean time, mansions down the narrows, gauge out the sea grape and dilly trees we all loved so much as kids, but obviously not enough to save them, which brings me to the title of my post, ‘what are we thinking’? I can see how it is difficult to compromise our need for money, with respecting our heritage. What I cannot comprehend, however, is that we also compromise our need for Water, our need for land, our health, our fish, our access to our land, the soil we spring from, with our 'need' for investment and the 'progress' that supposedly accompanies it. If Progress means having a shiny new F- 150, and the latest cell phone, but no money for school books and no running water in the house, or Having the possibility of a 4.50 an hour job at a resort that charges its guests $800 a day, with few prospects of ever having a greater share in our number one industry, 'progress' must be redefined. I'll elaborate; some time ago in January, there was, as has become the norm, low water pressure on the island, if anyone has visited the All Age school I suggest you use the toilet facilities, most taps don’t work and the water pressure is so slow, the ones that do dribble at the best of times...where am I going with this?... On the same day in January while our children, used bathrooms, without water to flush, or wash their hands before eating their food, a blatant health risk, valentines ran three hoses into their pool so their 20 or so guests could have fresh water to swim in, just in case they didn't want to walk 6 minutes to one of the top ten beaches in the world where they could swim in the vast Atlantic! Does anyone else see how wrong this is? Please tell me that some of you do. Make no mistake this is a simple illustration of a tiny nonetheless significant aspect of a huge problem. Our young people have no land, an inadequate school, they deal with the constant presence of illegal drugs and associated violence, gang antics in school, the temptation of crime and a menacing Aids epidemic, many are sexually active but are unequipped with the education they need to protect themselves, they face these challenges with an appalling failure of leadership at a national and local level...I could go on, butI have something far more important to point out, and I cannot overstate this point, most of the young people of Harbour Island are brilliant human beings with huge potential, any of you who have been privileged as I have to work with the children of Harbour Island will know, they have a strength, resilience, creativity and warmth to inspire anybody, I for one am proud to call them 'my people' so, please...'What are we thinking?' That some millionaires 8th'dream house' is more valuable to us than our freedom to pick the wild fruits god blessed us with? That we'd rather that some tourist had a pool to swim in than our children have decent sanitation? That betrayal and abuse of power in government is excusable? That we owe developers one red cent to wipe their slimy hasses with? Harbour island is our home and it has given us so much, so I will speak, you can try shut me down or disagree, but I will speak, if one if you join me that's two of us together our voices will overcome and triumph over those who compromise our rights for their own greed, be they strangers or from among us. Sincerely yours, Speech.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration