Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Developement and Election 2007?
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 3Total of 54 messages
1 2 3 Next>>
Posted by:Mar 14th 2007, 06:16:27 am
speechbahama journal 14th March
Voters Outline Important Issues

By Myles Adderley
Although crime, education, immigration and employment appeared to be among the pivotal issues that the Bahamian electorate wants to see addressed as a general election looms, some voters also shared other concerns they would like to see given attention.
Bahamian voters are expected to head to the polls within the next few months as time winds down for another general election. The last election was held on May 2, 2002.

"The main issue I want to see [addressed] is crime…the murders [that are] going on [are] out of hand. It’s totally out of hand. I lost a nephew earlier last year… the fellows just killed him and [threw] him on the side like dog," Charles Miller said.

His nephew Sherwin Miller was one of 60 murder victims in 2006.

Mr. Miller opined that the government needs to start hanging murderers to set an example to other criminals. He added that if someone takes a life, the government should see to it that his or her life is taken.

Sandralee Rolle expressed a similar view. The mother of six lost a son on the first day of the year. Patrick Rolle became the first murder victim for 2007.

"They need to start hanging…they have one guy arrested and up to Fox Hill eating, getting fat until the trial then they might keep him there two years, give him bail…my son [was] a human being," she said.

She said there should be a better system in place where family members of victims can be updated on the status of criminal investigations. She said she is tired of being given the ‘run around.’

For Valerie Delancy, the mother of two children, illegal hair braiders by the downtown straw market was an important matter that needs government attention.

The licensed hair braider complained that the current situation is impacting her earnings.

"It’s so hard to make a dollar out here," she said. "We have the license, we had to go through the process of getting [licensed]."

Ms. Delancy said it is not fair to the other licensed hair braiders and herself to have to share their business with these unlawful competitors.

For Michael Miller, 23, the matter of adequate housing is a priority.

"I’d like to see, basically, the housing problem fixed for the lower-class people…I think the government is doing a good job apart from that," he said.

The Progressive Liberal Party Government has been boasting about its housing record in its first term in office claiming that it built more government homes in five years that its predecessors did in ten. However there is still a growing need for more affordable housing, officials have said.

Alexis Bonaby, 23, is concerned about the cost of living and the issue of the judges’ salaries. On the latter point he was joined by another voter.

"Yes the judges deserve a raise…but if you promise me a raise why raise the judges before you give me my money and the judges already [make] mega money?" asked Charlene Gibson, a straw market vendor.

She too felt that there were so many other Bahamians who qualified for and deserve to get raises ahead of members of the bench.

Education was also factored in as one of the primary issues that need attention, especially in this period.

Yvonne Dawkins, a 22-year-old mother of two, said she would like to see a better education system in the pre-schools. She called for a better regime to regulate individuals who are hired in the system.

"It’s like you can open up a daycare [facility] and it’s like they hire anybody to teach your children," she said.

Education was also a major issue for Helen Atkins, who works in a store on Bay Street.

"I want to see the renovations that they have to do to these schools done in a more orderly manner so that when it’s time for school to open they don’t have to be rushing," she said.

On Monday, the old register of voters expired and the new one took effect.

Up to Monday just over 132,000 people had registered to vote with the Parliamentary Registration Department expecting the number to balloon as crowds of people turned up at registration centres around the country.

Posted by:Mar 14th 2007, 01:18:59 am
SeaweedRight on speech. I like the way you addressed developement SIMPLY, by it's affect on our social conditions- the possible pros and cons.

And just to support you on the Brilanders for Briland issue. Yes, putting together a predominantly Bahamian igroup was a very good thing to do. It is my understanding that the fact the the group that was against the Marina in the mangroves in Bimini was mostly winter residents, they were told that they had little ground to stand on. So, it should be great support to all groups on the island that locals are organizing and coming together. I think Brilanders for Briland are just trying to have all grounds covered. I do hope we all realize that SHIA and Brilanders for Briland are BOTH full of concerned people who are doing their best to make changes possible that are good for Briland.
Posted by:Mar 13th 2007, 05:50:47 pm
speechYO seaweed briland kid, lol, i love you both, briland kid i love your passion and courage to say something even through it may seem contraversial, seaweed, i love your determination to find solutions!hey i too have had the experience of losing a post like that it s devastating... yeah we all love all you all others as well, so 50 or so messages into this discussion what have we established and where can we go next, i think we all agree that Education and irresponsible development are of serious concern to everyone in the forum, but that some of us are divided in our opinions about the role that house rentals and home owners vs big condo developers play, myself and briland kid feeling that homeowners should be taxed more or admit they are running bussiness and others feeling that there are more pressing issues at hand. With the issues of education and developers we have discussed two avenues one political and one community based, the best appraoch probably being a combination, we have acknowledged existing programmes in the community and the need to support these through increased volunteering. So does anyone know, are the candidates running in our area aware of these concerns that we have? are they promising to adress them, should we go beyond them and bring it to the attention of the political parties as a whole? other consituansies in the bahamas are dealing with similar themes and i have haerd some talk in speeches particularly but not excluvly on the fnm part, does this mean we should approach plp candidates and mp's and encourage them to run on this platform.

Yes we know they wont keep the promises they make, theyll talk outta both sides of they mouth, but we'll be able to say well hey you know you all said this. it gives us clout is what i think i mean. Mean time i encourage all Bahamians in the forum particulary if you are on briland to contact Brilanders for briland, NOT briland for brilanders as i have heard it called, we are not a bunch of crazy xenophobic nationalists just a group of concerned citezens. This group will run programs that will undoubtably depend on support of non bahamians, but felt for them to have clout in the community and in the government that it be nessecarry for a truly local based group to form. so i hope the discussion continues all grudges laid aside, DEVELOPMENT AND THE ELECTION 2007?

If development means i we have a crap job, higher food prices, less reliable utilities and a overhauled school and if it threatens the ecology and community of my cherished home...then no to development, if development, brings me more sustainable bussiness oppurtunity if i raise to the challenge,and wages that pay for groceries and electricity, and if it is development that doesn't destroy the character and environment of my community, or displace my people, then i welcome development. TO ROMORA AND VALENTINES I SAY PUT IN SOME SOLAR PANELS AND SEWRAGE TREATMENT AND THEN WE'LL TALK, AND ROMORA DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING AS HIGH AS VALENTINES, MY CHALLENGE TO THE GOVERNMENT IS TO SECURE, THE LAND BY THE OLD AIRPORT AND NEW MARINA AND RESERVE IT FOR LOCAL BUYERS AT AFFORDABLE RATES!
Posted by:Mar 13th 2007, 03:41:53 pm
SeaweedI had written a very long response, but posted it and it wasn't there. I don't think I can do a re-write at this time. It basically said that other than references to punching bags, this discussion has had many respected opinions between all of us. We all agreed that we should volunteer, vote and try to push education to any political party that wins. It also said the fabric of Briland is a very complex one and that it is very difficult to separate personal issues from others. And though I do not care to focus on the personal issues I do understand them. Brilandkid may need to work on presentation, but Brilandkid is a valid product of the Briland that we all love and care about.
I'm sorry that I can't explain more, but it is very exhausting, and I did already spend an hour addressing this issue. Next time.
Posted by:Mar 12th 2007, 08:35:41 pm
MSHillsI agree with Kristi - this is an exceptionally important topic - but you guys need to "take it outside" with your personal attacks on each other! - We don't want to hear your personal problems. We care about Briland.
Posted by:Mar 12th 2007, 08:35:27 pm
MSHillsI agree with Kristi - this is an exceptionally important topic - but you guys need to "take it outside" with your personal attacks on each other! - We don't want to hear your personal problems. We care about Briland.
Posted by:Mar 12th 2007, 03:11:07 pm
kristiThis was an interesting topic (at first) but is going overboard for my taste - calm down BrilandKid - why add remarks like punching bag etc. Everyone and I mean "everyone" has a right to voice their opinion.
Posted by:Mar 12th 2007, 02:49:54 pm
SeaweedThank you Speech for getting the point about the upcoming election - it does not matter who wins, the point is to bombard that minister with our issues and most importantly our petitions with signatures on issues that we can all agree on i.e. education, water and electricity. I'm sure most of us on the island have been affected by the electricity going out most nights in the months of January and February.

As for the election - i guess we just need to keep the voting campaign going.

As for Brilandkid, as far as I understand the political system, everyone has a platform i.e. "I promise to do this and this if you elect me" - I know that most politicians run on with empty promises, but gettting one of them to run on about starting an educational reform (whether or not the opinion is that the government does not want an educated populace) is a place to start - as speech has agreed.

And Brilandkid, I am a Bahamian, born and bred, and a Brilander, so when I am addressing social issues, it is from a very personal perspective.

I do hope that we will continue to focus on what we have come up with thus far i.e. volunteering at all of the social things that Kimberly mentioned, and getting those petitions signed that say we want educational reform, better water and electricity, and getting people to vote on those issues as a beginning. And yes, of course Speech, the developements need to be put on hold until we can catch ourselves and take care of these issues that immediately and daily affect us. It's a really busy and crazy time trying to keep up to one issue, let alone figure out how these major developments will affect us in the future. We need TIME, but we don't seem to have enough of it.
Posted by:Mar 12th 2007, 01:43:43 pm
KimberlyThe key to getting anything done anywhere is by showing R-E-S-P-E-C-T for each other's opinions ... this isn't the forum in which to sharpen what you consider your rapier wit, okay?

And yes, Seaweed ;-), I am hoping that everyone will take a turn at a Briland Modem Fund community program, whether the new sailing class at Briland Park or helping out with Lang and Crystal's EEO reading room after school or helping Iris Lewis with one of the Briland ArtsWalk shows or Nicholas Johnson's computer training classes at Island Web Cafe. And if you find yourself across the land ;-), we've got plenty for you to do in Bluff, Gregory Town, Hatchet Bay, Palmetto Point and Rock Sound!

Manners, please --
Kimberly
Posted by:Mar 12th 2007, 10:46:43 am
speechplease i dont think it is helpful to get personal in this situation while we may have differences of opinion, we would waste valuble time bickering whith each other that could be spent sovling or highlighting the challenges at hand on harbour island.
which ever party is voted into power, we must take the MP and see him as a means, a way to the government ear for assistance and regulation to support the changes we would like to see happen in Harbour Island.

as for the remarks about abuse, yes i too have heard stories about certain visitors buying sex, but have also heard of many local men doing it too, and most of us still regularly returing too or living on harbour island know the girls who are selling it, some from nassau and some local, three only recently out of school i might add. Unfortunatley having worked at the all age school ion harbour island and in bluff, i also know that incest is a problem in too many bahmian households, a recent IDB country report also confimrs this, with something in the range of %20 of bahmian homes, this is an ugly problem, that is begining to receive much needed attention from the ministry of social services, as for tourist demaning the sex product it is my view that they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law,

however briland kid raises an important point that many people visiting harbour island consider themselves above the law, even in subtle ways, alowing kids to go out and drink and drive which you dont mind untill the kids are driving their golfcarts into people's gardens, and starting brawls outside the vichum, when I am at school in the foreign I respect the laws of the foreign the same must apply to the visitors of the bahamas. however as a tourist economy we do not want to deter visiors by holding them accountable to the law which puts us in a bad position especially when local youth see how visiting youth bahave and think how if they behaved in that way they would be locked up and maybe even beeaten as has happening not to long ago in harbour island when police were becoming somewhat too enthusiastic.

ok it may seem that we are straying away from the topic, being development but i will tie it in now. The new developments proposed for romora bay and pink/coral sands will create serious disruption to the society and ecosystem on harbour island.

during the recent contsruction of valentines as well as the construction of some particularly massive structures down the narrows, there was a noticable difference in many things on harbour island, stressed roads and port infrustructure, icrease of dust and large vehicles, removal of vegetation on a large scale aswell as an influx of strangers from other eleuthera communities and nassau,this created a sense of chaos that one can actually distiguish, between 2004 to the mid 2006 i would say.

I could say that the last four years on harbour island have seen more changes to the physical environment and composition of people than the previous eight. and the last 15 years since 1992 more change than the previous 50 years. during these sort of times of booming construcyion and rapid environmental changes you will find that the island has to cope with alot of additional pressures that stop us from adressing the salient issues we are discussing here, like social decay, abuse, corruption, EDUCATION. If the plans go ahead for these condos and marinas lord have mercy, I can't even think the pressure we will be under, it will be impossible to find community members with time to sit on PTA's run youth programmes, or meet in community forums, and the number of challenges will also rise with the influx of people.

From our discussion we can see we are at a breaking point this is why it is crucial that we put these developments on hold untill we have come to grips with our current situation in other words
caught up with our selves.

Please though, not disrespection youall right's to opinions,still, lets keep the discussion focused on harbour island and not on each other. :)
Posted by:Mar 12th 2007, 02:57:08 am
BrilandkidI am very disappointed seaweed are you a 1976 computer? No I do not think so computers are suppose to be smart but they do have dumb replies. What did you not understand. About the 10-12yr old girl was not meant to make an issue, it was mention to bring about a awareness of when any country opt to use tourists as a base (main income) economy you invite the best of the best also the worst of the worst which includes sexual predators gangsters, con men and the like. Do not remind us that where you are from are a breathing ground for such evil human waste.
I do not believe any being personally against anyone I am saying in political terms that my people understand . When I say beat the brakes off him that does not mean physical that means at the polling station kick his butt (butt use to replace a explicit phrase) I do not support him and his party Seaweed our candidates do not run on platforms and if the do it would be idle promise and promises are only comfort to a fool.

Seaweed you are not a good student and schooling you will not help you , you are too far out in left field. You will not even make a good punching bag. I do not punch midgets. If you know what I mean. So stay on the porch.
Posted by:Mar 11th 2007, 11:48:41 pm
SeaweedBrilandkid, thanks for suggesting it, but i truly don't need any more private lessons from you. there is nothing that you have said, including the nerve gas incident and illegal fishing in Bahamian waters that I don't know about. As for the tourism which may have brought a tourist that asked for a 10 or 12 year old girl, we have our own men among us that have violated our children - i think that point pushed among the islanders may fall on deaf ears and will only take the focus away from issues that we can start to resolve - especially when the men that have violated 12 year old girls on the island have family members that support them.
The ha ha was meant for kimberly, and i think you took that out of context.

As for the election and voting - i did not understand your statement about Mr. Johnson - was that a for or against.

As i said before, will we be effective if we continually encourage people to vote, and also remember that no matter who wins, or what their platform is, if we as a community signs petitions and can get supporters together (one issue at a time), we might get somewhere.

Briliandkid, if you can clarify your comment about Mr. Johnson, that would be appreciated.
Posted by:Mar 11th 2007, 10:49:27 am
BrilandkidWait this is not a resolve issue do not Ha Ha yet seaweed This is been said many times before that education is always paramount and I know for a fact that the teachers in all our Islands are doing the best that they can given what they have to work with and can use any help they can get. Having said that, seaweed you should not assume that everyone is well read when it comes to history, Human beings tend to forget especially history. My referral to history was reference to and how the claim that we were so dependant on foreigners to ensure our future existence. I merely pointed out the down side by a brief history lesson 101. Shall you need more history lesson I will gladly school you.
I am a product of the schools in Briland. I was an average student in a large class setting, then when I attended college my professor thought I was a genius. I did not think so. Never the less I must agree education is our key in school and in the real world we are still learning that’s when life becomes your teacher. Bahamians must educate themselves in the many natural resources that are available to them that are being rob of, in exchange settling for a waitress or waiter job. Which is a honest income, but should not be settle on. While we are busy waiting tables and dusting rooms, one of our best and natural resource is being stolen and our Government looks the other way for their pocket. Our fishing industry is being decimated by foreign fisherman we even had Korean fishermen in our waters with blessings of our government ministers. Yes education Yes! (short jab coming!). Thousands of pounds of illegal Bahamian seafood end up on American, Canadian and European dinner plates daily. Stolen from our waters. Deplete our resources and we would have no other choice but to wait for the crumbs to roll off the tourist table. Tourist is not a bad thing like everything else has a up and down side. In that tourist industry there are some very unsavory, perverted very bad charters. I will never forget the time when the USA dumped toxic waste in our water despite protest from the Bahamas Government and the people. But what do you expect in a tourist based economy. Working has a waiter in Briland I was once offered money by a perverted tourist to bring him a 10 or 12 year old girl for sex reported this to the police at the time and nothing happened again a tourist based economy. Let me add not all tourist behave this way, but it goes with the territory, it is reality. I can go on and on. It will be just talk, doing something is our best option. Bahamas and US coast guard patrol boats spends countless hours patrolling the waters for drug smugglers and illegal immigrants heading to the US, apprehension high on the list, while pouching our natural resource is not, again tourist base economy. Any country considering tourist based economy need to look at the Pandora’s box syndrome. This will come through yes education. Education We all agree on that and that is what I am working on setting up some way to educate my Bahamian brothers and sister. I will not depend on the government. In this election year if you have something to say, now is the time They need you and get out and VOTE,VOTE, VOTE The POWER is yours. WE will not be second class citizens in WE country never ever. (Short left jab connects right ear to clear deafness)

History has an very important role it is our map to the future. If you do not know where you come from how can you determine where you are going????? Favorite phase of The Captain Harold Saunders.

Vote!!!! and beat the Brakes! off PLP candidate Johnson for North Elethera

Hell I am getting to like this,.
It is bitter sweet!!! Kalik! Kalik!! Now git in yo Corner.
Posted by:Mar 10th 2007, 09:36:39 pm
Seaweedhey speech, i totally agree with you on the fact that all of the issues you spoke about are all a part of the same issue - absolutely right. i, personally will volunteer with eeo when i return to the island - at least that's a start.

as for what zionfish said about education being on the political roster, does anyone know of any person running for office who will be approachable about putting educational reform on their platform? that might be the immediate thing to do with the election. if anyone has any other suggestions, please pass it on. i think we might be getting somewhere. i know kim is probably saying how come we haven't been volunteering for the briland modem (ha ha).
Posted by:Mar 9th 2007, 10:46:57 pm
speechsea weed, i really like what you are suggesting and would like to indicate to you that EEO has sought volunteers, for a long time and even trains them any one in this forum can approach lang and discuss volunteering, the ministry is so short staffed you have alot of problems getting teachers to the island the principle has before suggested a phone in campaign which was quite effective in getting some teachers up, but the other thing is that it is hard to find a place for teachers to live and while things have improved from the year when three students graduated in a class of 15, harbour islands disipline reputation is still poor, but Those of us with contacts in the wider world could organise educators to come to the island and give seminars or workshops to better equip the teachers we have, eeo has been doing this in the litracy and speacial ed areas for example. still all those braoder factors i talked about in my post are there, which kimberly touched on in her post too, about teachers being questioned etc.
Posted by:Mar 9th 2007, 10:30:47 pm
speechI wanted to point out that me and my brother, both descended from harbour island, and with our mom own a hotel that while may not be seen by all as high class or well run because it is a small family business, nonetheless welcomes high profile guests who return year after year, not to find luxurious rooms, high pressure showers and jacuzzis but good food and authentic Bahamian hospitality, The huge problem with our tourist model is its focus on things that are not local and areas that we shouldn't be competing in, if we developed a genuine Bahamian product we'd be less dependant on foreign 'training' and 'assistance'. its an unfortunate reality that some visitors visit harbour island and expect the comforts they enjoy in America as well as the pristine environment, well that’s called having your cake and eating it too, it is unthinkable that the ecology of the Bahamas can sustain five million tourists having three showers a day flushing 4 toilets a day, using towels once and sending them to the laundry, plugging in laptops, t.v’s, using shampoo’s detergents that destroy our reef. Fact the average tourist in the Bahamas consumes twice as much water a local

I have a thing or two to tell you about the capitalism, which you idealise i will only say for now that it is a fantasy that never existed and will never exist, i study economics and the models and free market solutions are so far removed from reality it is a non point, the interests of the free market are not the interests of the wider society...fact. The interests of the free market would demand removal of union protection to workers in the Bahamas, the obligation to have a Bahamian partner to invest in certain areas of the economy, they are the interests that seek to jeopardise our rights to clean water, and beach access to enhance the tourist experience! The interest you are idealising are those of the rich and the powerful and those that threaten the very existence of the planet.

Sorry i had to put that point out there, still i encourage the direction of this discussion also to be on education, as you have! Education should be seen as more than assimilating western values and ‘rationalities but developing a true understanding of the processes around you and how they work, that is what equips you to better you condition. Education is a seriously complex matrix of interrelated problems, that starts with the fact that on harbour island we can raise $30,000 for dogs on harbour island, but only $3000 for the 'pre school' if you can call it that ,which our children attend. a fundamental problem is also that people do not connect school with a future, we all know that you don’t need school to make money in the Bahamas, Michael Pintard the Bahamian poet said at the HIAAS graduation two years ago, he said some thing along these lines

' i could tell you all kids to stay in school for your careers and thats how you al goin make it ...and i know yinna ga say well boss, looka Mr.drug dealer he can't read da word 'money' and look how much he get!’

We need to emphasise an incentive for education other than the economic benefit, focusing also on the self value and power it brings, a stupid drug dealer ends up dead, dismembered, or in jail an educated one doesn’t, (still an educated person understands that the costs outweigh the benefits in employment in that organised crime.) This brings me to the point that The Government of the Bahamas does not want an educated thinking populace, an educated thinking populace wouldn’t accept this shambles of a democratic political process, empty propaganda that passes for news or this extortion that goes on in virtually every light, phone and cable bill. Educated people ask informed questions, politicians don’t like informed questions. ‘Oh boss I just realised you givin dese fellas from tampa all dis nice good land, I jus was wonderin how I couldda get some to?’ ‘ da economy grew 4.5% dis year, aw das great boss, why I ain get no water running from my tap? Oh you forgot to tell me da price a food gone up 4.5% too, oh an hey aint we’s da richest country in da Caribbean ? well why da hell dey still gatte do dey nanny in buckets in Farm road?’

Ok I have pointed to a lot of problems but there’s something we must consider when trying to find SOLUTIONS particularly with education. We cannot isolate the area of education, as so many of the problems in the schools are related to other things in the community, the fact that the school ahs an unreliable supply of water, makes it difficult to run, but this is related to the fact that a resort feels its guests need a swimming pool, next to some of the clearest waters and finest beaches in the world,

There is also the fact that many kids a have realised that they can make $60 hosing down the boat of some well meaning visitor at the marina, which makes momma a lot happier than bringing home an A + for the test he didn’t study for in order to hose down the boat, because she is struggling to pay the light bill, because she make $4.50 and hour at a resort that charges $500 a day, and a box of cereal costs $7:00, and the test is about the story of the lord proprietors, who took swathes of Bahamian land, in a deal with British way back in the 17th century, which bears striking semblance to the giveaway of land to developers in the nation today, but hey what does that have to do with anything in this small and typical situation in a marginalised Bahamian household...a education might tell us?

The government could tear down and rebuild a state of the art school tomorrow, and if the mentality and circumstances in our community remained unchanged, the fancy building would make no difference. The neat new bathrooms would quickly soil with out running water to clean them, the nice new classrooms would disintegrate if the students in them have no value for education instilled in them.

This is why I think we must address issues of infrastructure, development, poverty, values and education in coordination with each other, Install a rainwater tank at the school, tell the developers, to reduce the size of his pool or make it a salt water one so that the bathrooms work, run a proper food stamp programme so kids can eat at school and therefore concentrate rather than being hungry and demand improved nutrition in meals through coordinating the ministry of health, education, social services and lunch vendors. Change the tourist product to one that is more compatible with our environment, culture and needs. Changing the focus to ecology and heritage rather than luxury and indulgence, might spring forth an educational incentive to train Bahamian marine biologists, alternative energy experts, historians and writers. However I realise that a lot of these types of changes will probably have to begin in the classroom, and if teachers remain poorly trained and over worked it may require setting up alternative venues, and education forums, to encourage these questions….the island school, EEO, the new B4B group, the library, the Kiwanis Club, these things are not dependant on the election but on us, consider that.
Posted by:Mar 9th 2007, 01:43:08 pm
ZionfishI concur Seaweed. We can sit back and discuss ideals until we are blue in the face, but what we need right now are simple, attaintable goals that will make a real difference. Education needs to be made an election issue. So how to do that? Parents need to be more involved in the education fo their children. How to do that? The human resources are readily available - the well-qualified teachers, the parents, the community leaders. What is needed is a plan, direction, and the will to make the education of your children a priority. This is the future of your island, or your families, or your children and grand children. Don't waste it.
Posted by:Mar 9th 2007, 01:26:58 pm
SeaweedI think everyone is making really good points. Brilandkid, it doesn't matter how much history we know or don't know, or how much we read. I'd say most of the people in this discussion are well-read and know a lot about history. I'd also like to point out again that we are not the majority that we are talking about when we are talking about lack of education. So, is it too much to ask that the energy you use to educate us be used to maybe start an after-school reading programme? Or a lobby for smaller classes. I keep writing and trying to get SIMPLE ideas as to how we can maybe just get an extra teacher on the island. Is is possible? We may all have issues that we want to focus on, but I'd like to think that it is easier to get people reading than it is to magically transform the government and somehow get the land back and so on. If our children can't read who will continue on when we're not here? Can we somehow get this conversation back on tracks with election and social developement?
Posted by:Mar 9th 2007, 07:23:44 am
ZionfishPoint taken, Kimberly. I didn't refer to the Landing as I wasn't sure how much foreign 'influence' would be attributable to Toby Tyler (Australian), and to India Hicks and David Fleetwood (English). Certainly the major press the hotel has received has made much of their involvement. My other examples were very much Bahamian-only hotels.
A small, yet for the purposes of my argument, significant, point.
Posted by:Mar 9th 2007, 03:54:31 am
BrilandkidMuch respect to all dem Let me start round one, But first what I am about to say from here on is in no way meant or intended to offend anyone or any group of people in any way, so no offence should be taken. I do not want any foreigner in the Bahamas visiting or residing to feel prejudiced against them or anyway uncomfortable, or threaten. Bahamians are a peace loving people. But they do not like to be taken for fools. Better yet asses. They have always and will always demand the respect and freedom of choice that any democratic free society can provide. Freedom of choice should not be taken for granted. Many have fought and died for it throughout history and there were those who sought also to enslave freedom with any and all means yes even economic threats. Germany pre Hitler for example, It’s people rebelled after becoming second class citizen in their own country. Thus given birth to a totalitarian and a fascist regime. Cuba pre Castro capitalism and pure Greed by foreign land and plantation owners, gave birth to a serious Dictator, name Fidel Castro destitute citizens embraced communism and Castro as their only hope for equality. I know that we in the Bahamas are not or near that crossroad. This is just to remind those of you that have not read modern history to pick up a book a history book. We in the Bahamas do and are not all a bunch illiterates, recognize History..
A Brilander manager in the Atlantis hotel A Bahamian own hotel on Briland is very good unlike in some cultures we do not promote or except tokens.Or use tokens as bench Marks once upon a time there were a culture known as the Cherokee, the Apache, the Cheyenne, the Blackfoot The Comanche, all became excited about tokens and trinkets and is now near extinct.

Bahamians are peace loving people do not normally resort to extremes. We know reality and the reality is This is “We Country” our little corner of the world. and Guest are quite welcome. Where we yes we will decide our future Ka boom. Yo yo Sweet hey!

That was a short left hook, Now in round two comes the left hook short Jab. This one gonna hurt. Hey this might go a full twelve rounds.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration