Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Eleutheran Filmmaker Kareem Mortimer **Floats** At Cannes
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 1 messages
Posted by:May 16th 2007, 11:14:07 pm
Fig Tree News Team14 May 2007
Nassau Guardian

Kareem Mortimer and Mercury Rising Media are pleased to announce the completion of the film 'Float', starring Jonathan Murray, Stephen Tyrone Williams, Christopher Herrod and Rukenya Demeritte.

'Float' with a running time of thirty-five minutes is the story of the relationship between a white Bahamian painter and a black college student and his girlfriend. This past April 'Float' has screened in Italy, Birmingham and Miami where it recently won the HBO Audience choice award for "Best Short Film".

"It has been a great honor for me to make a film in The Bahamas about Bahamians and for it to be as successful as 'Float' has been internationally," said Mortimer.

"I have had great pleasure in watching people from all around the world enjoying this film, of which I am most proud. I can't wait to share it with Bahamians. This is my most mature film to date and is quite different from my previous films. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised."

'Float' will screen at fifteen other festivals in the next three months. The locations include Cannes, Lisbon New York, Copenhagen, Hamburg, San Francisco, Toronto and North Carolina.

At Cannes this film will be the first and only Bahamian film in the short film corner pavilion of the festival.

Mr. Mortimer has also been selected to participate in 'Le Pitch' an initiative from Shorts TV France where he will be pitching his projects to financiers in France, Belgium, Luxembourg and England. This film hopes to make its Bahamian debut at the Bahamas International Film Festival this December.

Mercury Rising Media has also produced 'The Eleutheran Adventure' which will be released on DVD June 21. He also has two additional films in post-production.

A National Arts Festival winner, Timothy M. Lee Filmmaking Fellowship recipient and a winner at the Bahamas International Film Festival, Kareem Mortimer describes himself as an Eleuthera/Long Island/Inagua/Turks island/Trini boy. He began his film career at the age of 17. Since then, he has made short music documentaries for the NBC show "Hip Hop Nation: Notes from the Underground," over 75 commercials, and five documentary shorts for clients, including The Ministry of Tourism, Burger King Corp., BREEF, Sara Lee Corp., The National HIV/AIDS Center, and many others. He has produced and edited the feature-length documentary "Where I'm From," an entry in the first Bahamas International Film Festival; produced the film "Varmint Day," winner of best comedy at the Made In Miami Film Festival; and he has directed the short narrative "Chance," which is currently on the festival circuit.

In 2006, he wrote and directed the film "Float," which will screen in 2007; and the documentary "The Eleutheran Adventure," which won the audience award at the third Bahamas International Film Festival in December. It was the only Bahamian film to ever win the award. Mortimer also is the director of the documentary "Chartered Course," based on the life of Sir Durward Knowles, which is currently in post-production. Finally, he is the producer of the documentaries "I AM NOT A DUMMY" and "FREEDOM," which will be released in 2007 and 2008, respectively. Mortimer will continue making films that will create community.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration