Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Quick-Thinking Long Island Girl Saves Grandmother's Life
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 1 messages
Posted by:Jul 17th 2007, 11:07:03 am
Fig Tree News TeamBy SARALEE JOHNSON, For The Nassau Guardian

While thousands of Bahamians enjoyed the festivities and family gatherings in recognition of our nations 34th birthday, an 11-year-old girl became an Independence-day heroine.

Because of her immediate response and selfless act, she was able to save the life of her grandmother.

Leslie LaShan Hanna, a seventh grade student of C.C. Sweeting Junior High in New Providence became a local heroine and savior on July 10th.

On a local beach in Seymour's, Long Island Pastor Eulamae Flowers-Johnson along with her four grandchildren ages seven to 11 were on a family picnic, when a few hours into their fun and relaxation, the eldest grandson screamed out in terror as he realized his grandmother who had been resting on one of the floats had drifted off out to sea.

Mentally paralyzed by the event and aware of the lack of swimming skills among the grandchildren and their grandmother Leslie without hesitation placed a tube float around her waist and started shouting to her grandmother "I'm coming grammy, I'm coming". Without thought or reservation Leslie vigorously paddled her way out into the blue, grabbed the float her grandmother had drifted out on and started paddlling with one hand back.

When asked what went on in her mind during the rescue, Leslie said: "I just sang in my head a song my grammy taught us: I am Standing on the Solid Rock". I know I can't swim but my grammy was drifting and I had to do something to save her," she said.

Leslie says she does not see herself as a hero, but that she did what was immediately necessary to save her grandmother and that she knew God was with them all the way.
http://www.thenassauguardian.com/soc...0207124168.php

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration