Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

**Show Me Your Motion** - new Bahamian film from Ian Strachan
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 1 messages
Posted by:Jul 23rd 2007, 12:31:14 pm
Fig Tree News Team"Show Me Your Motion" explores issues of gender, national identity, globalization, class and race in The Bahamas, a prosperous Caribbean nation renowned for its tourism.

Producer and Director Ian Strachan addresses these issues through candid, often humorous interviews and live recordings of the ribald children's songs and dances that are a part of "Ringplay." Along the way Bahamians of many walks of life weigh in on the issues: artists, politicians, scholars, teachers, and children too. The film, narrated by Strachan, opens with the statement, "I know what the world thinks of The Bahamas; what they see. I know what we sell. The fantasy, the dream of a vacation in Paradise. No rain, no worries . . . But who do we believe we are?"

By celebrating the laughter, joy and freedom that epitomize Ringplay, the film affords us a compelling glance at complex issues through an often-overlooked lens: the eyes of our children. Strachan takes his cameras throughout schoolyards in The Bahamas and even travels as far south as St. Lucia and Trinidad to reveal the inspiring passion for invention and celebration that so many Caribbean children possess.

During the process it becomes clear that Bahamian society has changed greatly since the days of British colonialism and the onslaught of American popular culture. However, the film suggests that there is as much beauty and strength to be found in the country's links with its neighbors as there is in all that remains unique and different about its culture.

July 26 - 29, 2007
National Performing Arts Centre, Shirley Street
Showings: 1pm, 4pm, 8pm
Tickets: $8 Adults, $5 Children under 12

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration