Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Glass Window Bridge Needs Attention (Nassau Guardian)
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 3Total of 42 messages
1 2 3 Next>>
Posted by:Aug 24th 2007, 06:32:47 pm
BrilandkidThere was a man that lived in Colombia he was love by all the locals he was very charitable in his profession he was prominent man to others in his field. The word prominent can be applied to anyone. A description of their profession makes a big difference that's what I was talking about. There was never any insults at any time, thrown around or blasting anyone’s character by the Briland kid. So Kristi stop instigating or I will give you a small mallet instead of a jack hammer to knock over the bridge with. The man in Colombia was prominent to locals and notorious to Governments Carlos the Jackal Drug Lord, who was ultimately kill by the DEA. WORDS have meaning. Let's get the Bridge Fix people.

Am I Too deep fer ya!

I am the Brilandkid
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 10:25:19 pm
ash12thanks Kimberly, i am sure that Mrs Gwendolyn would,ve have been proud an honoured to know that she inspired you and so many others
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 10:14:15 pm
KimberlyThank you, Ash, for noting that there are several prominent AND successful local businessmen and women who are giving back to the community by training its youth for future careers on Harbour Island ... we like to claim that the sky is falling, but there are many good people working hard to effect solid change.

And they've been working hard for years ... I lucked into having Mrs. Gwendolyn Aranha, Mr. Glenroy's first wife, as my third-grade teacher back in the 1960s. She inspired an entire generation of Briland kids with her no-nonsense approach to education, and what it meant to be a contributing member of society.
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 10:09:11 pm
ash12i second that,,,,IOLA LILY,,
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 09:56:27 pm
IolaLily"Blame the parents"is such a common statement, however, we need to look to them and what they teach their children. What do they say to their children when they make mistakes? What happens when the child makes less than a perfect grade, so to speak?

If there are any Briland parents present on the board, let me suggest that you encourage your kids to IMITATE the drive and the passion of the "prominent/successful" businessmen. Most of them didn't have the opportunity that most of us are afforded today.

I know a young woman right now who's graduating with her master's degree and didn't pay $1 out of her pocket.

I also know a woman who has a 5th grade education and heads 2 businesses. When I think of success, I think of her.

So to say that there is no opportunity today, is to give up.

On another note:

(Briland Kid, do you wish to identify yourself?)
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 07:53:52 pm
ash12like i said, there are many terminologie,s, you can use the word prominent for,,now you look at you,re webster to look up comprehension,,bare in mind that you have many dictionarie.s,,my friend,,im suer you know Mr gregory higgs,,Mr glenroy Aranha,,summar johnson,cedric pennerman,,mr Burt sawyer,the list could go on & on,a bit has changed over the years
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 05:05:23 pm
kristiok that's the end of this discussion because we are no longer talking about the subject instead insults are being thrown.
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 08:12:30 am
BrilandkidGood now you have learn a new word now where does successful and prominent go it is wording my friend and whom does it apply to??
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 07:54:04 am
ash12leading, important, or well-known: a prominent citizen. this is miriam webter,s definition of prominent,,there are many terminology,s,,im sure many would agree,,,i see many prominent harbour island businessman here on briland ,the list is long,,,,,just for the record Briland kid
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 06:02:30 am
kristiBrilandKid you are attacking ash12 and this is not the point. No one said that Brilanders have NO ambition but you can't say that the young generation has a lot of it. I don't go to the island often but when I do I find it very sad to see such young children running around in the streets AND dressed to kill at such a young age. Junkanoo is also something I find discouraging now since the young girls (5 year olds) show that they can whine (I don't know how to spell that and I can't find my Webster) and grind their boongies. SO SO SO vulgar. Know where are these children learning this? The parents obviously find it funny and appealing. It's gross. Aranha construction IS an example to the young children that want to do this type of work. All I was trying to say is that other companies should follow in their footsteps.
Posted by:Aug 22nd 2007, 12:09:53 am
Brilandkidash12 whom do you refer to as prominent Brilander's. Do not say prominent say successful local businessmen. Check your Webster for the word prominent, I will say it is improper usage of that word. Just for the record.
Posted by:Aug 21st 2007, 07:36:48 pm
ash12correction briland kid NOBODY said that all the kids should be like an Aranha clone,,Nobody especially i never said that the kids dont have any ambition,,,,the point i was tryin to make is that elder & prominant harbrilander,s should try an make a differance( should,nt look as far as they,re front door, (Frankly speaking),the kids mite have more choice,s but are they serious at a young age to take it in at a young age,,,we should,nt have to looze all of them to video games,,,i observe these things on a daily basis,,responsive parenting is another subject we mite want to chat about,,,,Kristi did say WILLING & INTERESTED
Posted by:Aug 21st 2007, 06:41:39 pm
BrilandkidI must correct you Kristi every, every Briland child has some ambition it is opprptunity that is lacking not all wants contracting not all want to be waiter. the younger generation has far more ambition than some of my generation. they have more choices today than we did, which has a up side and a down side. Please not all these kids want to be an Aranha contracting copy. Briland kids are truly blessed.
Posted by:Aug 21st 2007, 04:00:54 pm
AmelieHow Are You Defining Ambition?
Posted by:Aug 21st 2007, 08:24:31 am
kristiI think that Aranha Contracting is a great example to the island if they are teaching the young Brilanders that are willing interested in learning the contracting profession. You are so right ash12 that there used to be teacher there on the island to give a first start/taste of an eventual career - but as you said the young Brilanders are not interested. Frankly this is sad. If one has no ambition then there is no goal in life. Very sad.
Posted by:Aug 20th 2007, 07:45:51 pm
ash12sorry,, that should,ve been a different topic
Posted by:Aug 20th 2007, 07:44:47 pm
ash12i know i can vouch for Aranha Contracting,through the summer they had two students job training,,,an have one of lastyear graduating class,,i guess you can take the horse to the well,,i guess you know the rest of that phrase,,we have alot of young people on the island,,dont know if they want get into the construction feild,,we need something inplace ,,where as Contractors on the Island,,SHOULD go in to the schools an do seminars working along with teachers like MR.AUSTIN MULLEN,,he,s the woodworks teacher,,,we had a auto mechanics teacher,,dont know what happen ,,,an why he never came back,,we have the teachers here but the kids have to want to take it in
Posted by:Aug 20th 2007, 04:03:28 am
kristiNow there's another good subject - the carpenters, macons, plumbers etc taking the time to teach young brilanders the art, in's & outs of their profession. Why not take on the graduating kids and teach them a profession. Have summer jobs/internships available to students willing to learn a profession in order to better their future.
Posted by:Aug 19th 2007, 07:43:35 pm
Milanwe Welcome the Bogue professionals, don't need the alley types A all hours any more if You know what I mean.
Posted by:Aug 19th 2007, 04:08:45 pm
ash12the multi talented people of the lower & upper bogue area has contributed greatly in the growth of briland.construction,,im talking about,,,its hard to find carpenters,masons,electrical engineers even apprentices or common labourers here on briland, we have to look to the next settlements,,so if we put bogue settlements somewhere near cuba? i know you dont mean that literally,but we,re going to be caught between a rock and a hard place. we should,nt think,ve our neibors like that

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration