Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Dog bites - rabies shots - updated
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 10 messages
Posted by:Sep 14th 2014, 08:09:41 pm
YelapotcakeI was not aware that the Bahamas had rabies. Dogs brought into the country must be immunized and quarantine to protect the local population. If there is rabies it was brought in by an irresponsible owner.
Posted by:Mar 12th 2008, 07:27:46 am
smittyKristi- Don't worry about it.You've offended no one.Believe me I know, I was a dog in my former life.In fact some refer to me as that still...
Posted by:Mar 11th 2008, 08:30:29 pm
KifFor clarification, I was actually speaking about local dogs on the beach without their owners. One day I counted 5 ( 2, 2, and 1...not a pack of 5). None of them was aggressive to me or my dog.

It's just that when the town is full like now, dogs that are not leashed or fenced in town tend to follow tourists to the beach for a day 'out and about.'
Posted by:Mar 11th 2008, 04:48:03 pm
kristiI don't know what island I grew up on then because I have NEVER seen any natives walking their dogs on a leash. Let's not kid each other here, those potcakes are not treated with respect and come to think of it this subject can also be related to the schools and the respect that is in the home. If people can't even have respect for their schools then why should they have respect for a four legged animal??? All of these troubling subjects are related at the base of the problem - NO RESPECT !! I will no longer anwser to this subject because I am sure that I have offended some - it is my opinion and a opinion from someone that grew up on Briland.
Posted by:Mar 11th 2008, 07:49:33 am
KifThe number of 'extra' on the beach seems to regularly increase as the number of tourists in town increase. Perhaps tourists can be encourage to 'encourage' the free-ranging dogs to stay home rather than follow them to the beach.
Posted by:Mar 10th 2008, 02:13:43 pm
KimberlySure, there are plenty of dogs ON leashes, thanks to groups like Briland Animal Rescue getting owners to take responsibility and spay/neuter their pets ... but apparently a few too many remain OFF-leash. The point is, these aren't packs of homeless dogs wandering around as we'd seen in the past. These dogs do belong to locals who feed them, but apparently can't be bothered to keep track of them.
Posted by:Mar 10th 2008, 01:59:43 pm
kristinow Kimberly have you ever seen a dog on a leash there??? Their idea of a leash is a piece of rope with a dog on one end and a tree on the other (and food thrown at the dog still wrapped in foil paper -if the dog is lucky). Sorry to say this but the majority of people there don't love animals. Kicks and stone throwing seem to be the normal treatment for the potcakes. Too bad because those dogs are angels but then again what animal isn't if it is treated correctly.
Posted by:Mar 10th 2008, 01:09:59 pm
KimberlyAre the leash laws that are ALREADY on the books actually being enforced? And if so, by whom? I doubt that the police force has the manpower or resources, so is another group taking charge?
Posted by:Mar 8th 2008, 12:37:36 am
KimberlyAre you okay? The police are doing the best they can under the circumstances, but local Brilanders could really do more to help ... these potcakes ARE their dogs, for better or for worse.
Posted by:Mar 7th 2008, 06:00:53 pm
AnnaThought I'd give all of you an update.
I was attacked and bitten last week by one of a pack of six dogs running loose on the beach. My husband and I were walking, minding our own business.
Because the dog could not be quarantined, I have had 4 injections of rabies immune globulin put directly into the wound. This is followed by a series of 5 injections of rabies vaccine. All of this treatment must be done at an emergency clinic which means large copays and long waits.
I am happy to have medical care available to me here in Connecticut, but keep thinking about all those children crawling on the beach back on Harbour Island. Is anyone doing anything about this situation? I see it as a disaster waiting to happen to someone else.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration