Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

power on harbour island
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 2Total of 37 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:May 29th 2008, 04:42:49 pm
smittyYou're exactly right,TS, but the fact that Kimberly says the protectors aren't helping is what bothers me.Definately need an Electrical engineer to jump in here.Brownouts over a period of time will erode or "rust" the sensitive electronics in appliances, but surge protectors when installed properly prevent this.
Posted by:May 29th 2008, 03:43:19 pm
Tuck Shopsmitty as I understand it it's not just the surge, which the protectors protect against, but the brown or prolonged periods of low power which hurt the electronic portion of appliances also.

TS
Posted by:May 29th 2008, 03:12:00 pm
smittyIf you're saying the protectors aren't helping, then all I can offer is find out if anyone on the Island is not having that problem and inquire as to how they're protecting their electronics.
Posted by:May 29th 2008, 02:23:25 pm
KimberlyDon't know what we're doing wrong, but surge protectors or NOT, the brownouts fry up everything from microwaves to computers ... and it happens time and time again, whether you're talking about the cheap model from Office Depot or the pretty expensive USB (UBS?) models.
Posted by:May 29th 2008, 01:23:41 pm
smittyOf course if your house isn't wired properly, all bets are off.In that case surge surpresses won't help and you are indeed living in a bad situation.
Posted by:May 29th 2008, 12:57:40 pm
hobiecatYou're right, Smitty. I did a quick internet search and see that a basic four-outlet household appliance surge protector is about $5.00. I wonder if this appliance qualifies for stamp tax exemption per Tuck Shop's recent post? Perhaps Brilanders can get together and make one big order to save on shipping costs? For reference, here's the link I found when doing my search, I'm sure there are other options available out there -
http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=SPP2304WA%20D41705&source=fr

Hope this helps!
Posted by:May 29th 2008, 08:26:05 am
smittyDon't understand why your appliances are getting fried.You have to use surge surpressors to prevent that. Nothing but a super sensitive fuse, they're cheap and protect appliances from damage when the power comes back on with a bang or is not supplying enough juice to run the appliance properly.Either of those scenerios can and have caused fires. Surge suppression is not rocket science or anything new.We use it on all our appliances and never have had any problems.Since BEC has you sucking hind tit, you got to protect yourself somehow.Just trying to help.
Posted by:May 28th 2008, 09:23:49 pm
BrilandkidBEC and Ministry of works need a fire under their feet, Guess what guys I have a super red hot blow torch. Ok BEC put on your asbestos shoes and do not bend over I do not want my hand to slip and get you in the....(nice word Fanny)
Posted by:May 27th 2008, 10:19:03 am
smittySpring for the bucks and whatever and build your own powerplant.You can't keep going like this,tourism is going to suffer not to mention your own misery.
Posted by:May 24th 2008, 10:55:53 am
kristicost more yes and no. The electric bills may be more expensive BUT the costs in buying new appliances would be less !! good idea Tuck Shop
Posted by:May 24th 2008, 10:00:59 am
Tuck ShopCan anyone who was at the meeting or talks to someone who was at the meeting please post about what was said and any idea's that came from it. PLEASE.

It's getting ridiculous what's happening on Harbour Island and the rest of Eleuthera. 4 fires in the last month because of power surges and god knows how many damaged electrical appliances. Maybe it's time to have our own power grid like on Spanish Wells. Electricity will cost more but it will at least be reliable.

TS
Posted by:May 23rd 2008, 07:02:50 pm
KimberlyBest strike while the iron is hot, then ;-) ... just as Burchie Gibson got his North Eleuthera store underway again after the recent fires gutted the supermarket, ANOTHER power surge burned his house down on Wednesday afternoon. This lack of planning has got to stop!
Posted by:May 23rd 2008, 03:26:34 pm
fishkinghear we go again power off power on power off all nite. and we dont know why it off. now they want to have a town meeting on saturday morning at 9am . after four days a town meeting???????
Posted by:Apr 17th 2008, 12:46:08 am
BrilandkidBEC management from my understanding management and decision makers is located in Nassau with lights and AC, mostly field workers linemen, collectors. Now with the ongoing power outages it makes you wonder if this is a political sabotage. Judging from the lights going off and on too, too often. Again Our Government has failed to recognize we are not a bunch of imbeciles. There are still certain posts within the rank and file that has to change removed and/or reassigned. Kalik, kalik.

Brilanders tell’em we ien dat dum hey. Tanks.
Posted by:Apr 16th 2008, 09:33:18 pm
Briland Lady2It's about time you started seeking and putting into action ways to say "enough is enough"...since I was a little girl things in the water/light situation has not changed...its funny that the economy is working for the businesses, but there is no one looking out for the residents. This situation is clearly unrealistic in this day and age...come on, we're in the 21st century and still living like we back in the 50's/60's-UNBELIVABLE-H.I./Eleuthera needs to stand up for what they want...come together as one and make your message be heard......
Posted by:Apr 16th 2008, 02:36:42 pm
fishkingwe can demonstrate to make things better for harbour island. we can disconnect from bec for an hour or two and run our generators. we can also let the press know so it would be on the air ways and the bahamas will know how bad the power is on harbour island
Posted by:Apr 16th 2008, 07:47:13 am
smittyJust for my own curiosity, tell me why HI can't build its own powerplant.I'm guessing too many laws,too little money,etc, ad nauseum.That's the only way you're goin to be happy.Until then it's flashlights and candles.
Posted by:Apr 15th 2008, 07:53:22 pm
ash12all residents who has generators or who can afford generators should demonstrate and show BEC we,re tired of all the crap!! i myself has lost all of my electrical appliance,s. (3)tv,s ,(2)computers,clocks,microwave,fridge,a few UPS backup batteries!!!! so its a slap in our faces with BEC saying that it,s not they,re fault!! i have a lister that can power about (3) houses comfortably,,,we need to start thinking on powering ourselves harbour island!!
Posted by:Apr 14th 2008, 09:41:57 am
fishkingNassau makes all the rules, and the pigs and goats on the little islands follow the rules or get sent home.
Posted by:Apr 11th 2008, 06:54:16 pm
KimberlyHey, Brilandkid, is BEC in Briland and North Eleuthera supervised by Nassau, or are the local supervisors in charge of management?

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration