Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

The Harbour Island Story by Anne and Jim Lawlor
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 2Total of 26 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:Feb 25th 2009, 12:39:17 pm
Jungle JimHi Denis
Nice to hear you visited our museum. My Grandparents were from County Cork but traveled to Tyneside to work in the shipbuilding. I came to the Bahamas 40 years ago abd married Anne the daughter of Dr Paul Albury a past president of the Society.
Posted by:Feb 14th 2009, 03:39:48 pm
denisberginAs an Irishman who made a fleeting visit to the BHS museum the other day, I was intrigued by the Lawlor connection (Jim and Anne) and wonder if it too is Irish?

Denis Bergin (Charleston SC)
Posted by:Dec 3rd 2008, 01:22:26 pm
Jungle JimAnne and I were so thankful to Charles for the book signing of Harbour Island Story at The Princess Street Gallery on 28th November. it was so nice to meet and talk to all the new people and old friends. Thanks so much for buying our book and your kind comments.
Posted by:Nov 10th 2008, 10:47:44 am
Jungle JimOur Nassau Book Launch hosted by the English Department of College of the Bahamas was a great success. We are now looking forward to our Harbour Island Book launch kindly hosted along with his anual Art Show by Charles Carey of at the Princess Street Gallery on Friday 28th November
Posted by:Aug 29th 2008, 02:16:56 pm
Jungle JimHi good news -The Harbour Island Story is now on the Barnes and Noble site

Barnes & Noble.com - Book Search: Anne James - 9:57amThe Harbour Island Story by Anne and Jim Lawlor. Paperback. Write a review ∑ Fast & Free Deilvery Details. Available for Pre-Order ...
search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?SZE=100&ATH=Anne%20James - 599k - Cached - Similar pages -

Would anyone like to write a review?
Posted by:Aug 19th 2008, 10:29:40 am
Jungle JimThe Harbour Island Story by Anne and Jim Lawlor can be purchased by American and Canadians from http://www.interlinkbooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1910 OR from www.ingrambook.com
Posted by:Aug 18th 2008, 08:35:46 pm
MaddieJust got word from Amazon.com that they can not get the book.

Where can a US citizen order it?
Posted by:Aug 18th 2008, 12:31:09 pm
Jungle JimGood news - Media Enterprises have 300 books and will be sending them to local stores and briland this week
Posted by:Jul 16th 2008, 01:54:54 pm
Jungle JimI would just like to share my favourite lines from the book written by Dr Paul Albury
The Enchantment of Harbour Island.

Not all the enchantment of Harbour Island belongs to the land and the sea. There is 'something in the air'. The cool gentle breezes off the Atlantic Ocean are unpolluted by fetid vapours from bog and swamp. Rather, on passing over the island, their fragrance is enhanced. There is a slight taste of salt, a faint awareness of aromatic medicines, a hint of perfume. The appeal is not to the cortex, but to the deeper and older brain. There is the stirring of ancient memories of an elemental association of man with the earth and sea.

The gentle Taino Indian walked her shores. He was the first to love her. And he perhaps appreciated her freshness and her beauty more than all the rest who came later, for he made no effort to change her virgin beauty. He himself lived a life of simplicity and happiness. It was a perfect match, the Taino and the island. This beautiful creature was very, very close to paradise.
Posted by:Jul 16th 2008, 12:00:18 pm
Jungle JimThanks for the compliments Sue R....it was so nice an experience to write and share the enchantment of Briland with others
Posted by:Jul 15th 2008, 07:15:58 pm
Sue R.Half way through and I'm loving it:-)!! Packed with information yet beautifully written! Go for it!
Posted by:Jul 15th 2008, 12:35:54 pm
Jungle JimI checked with Macmillan Caribbean and they gave these instructions for ordering the books: "If people in the USA and Canada do want to buy copies of the book they can also place their orders directly onto the Interlink website (just like customers can do via our website). The Interlink website address is:
http://www.interlinkbooks.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=1d8f34d4950db24196c85d777c0d479e&keywords=9780333970515&osCsid=1d8f34d4950db24196c85d777c0d479e - this takes them straight through to the page where the book appears.

Similarly customers (not in the USA or Canada) can place their orders directly on our website at the following page:
http://www.macmillan-caribbean.com/book.aspx?path=/119/126&id=156
Posted by:Jul 13th 2008, 01:37:55 pm
Kimberlyhttp://www.macmillan-caribbean.com/book.aspx?id=156
Posted by:Jul 13th 2008, 10:24:52 am
Sue R.I should get mine this week and am rubbing my hands in glee! Don't want to start any other books, as they'll be shunted aside once "The Harbour Island Story" reaches me. Living in Spain, I ordered it from amazon.co.uk. And they've only got about three left! Yet another sign of success! Bravo, Anne and Jim! It's a book that all of us have been waiting for! Your publisher guessed wrong - ha!!! ;-)
Posted by:Jul 13th 2008, 09:25:11 am
Jungle JimThanks for your kind words. Sorry that the Harbour Island Story is in short supply - we have been struggling against great odds to publish and distribute. The publisher did not think the authors or indeed briland itself was worthy of a history - and the agent in nassau thinks it will not sell many copies - but we know different...please bombard macmillan caribbean for your copies.
Posted by:Jul 12th 2008, 03:12:52 pm
KimberlyIt's entertaining read! If they're all sold out at Amazon.com, go ahead and order from the link noted in the first post .... I bought mine from Macmillan Caribbean, and received the book in just a few days' time!
Posted by:Jul 12th 2008, 12:50:24 pm
hobiecatWhoops, typing too fast in my excitement. Make that Congratulations Anne and Jim Lawlor!
Posted by:Jul 12th 2008, 12:48:55 pm
hobiecatSend more books to Amazon! They're currently sold out! Well done Ann and Jim Lawlor!
Posted by:Jul 11th 2008, 05:59:29 pm
Jungle JimThank you Sue R for your kind remarks about the style. Much of our challenge in writing the book was to weave historical fact into a story, in the style of Dr Paul Albury. We are proud that The College of the Bahamas recognized our lengthy research by awarding us the Stanley Wilson Award for Excellence in Research and Writing.
Posted by:Jul 11th 2008, 03:40:10 am
Sue R.Yesterday I read the first two pages on Amazon and immediately ordered it! Really good style. Canít wait to continue!

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration