Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

More Briland Reading: *The Republic of Pirates* (Colin Woodard)
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 2 messages
Posted by:Jul 21st 2008, 05:27:58 pm
Jungle JimThis book looks interesting. I wonder if he refers to the marriage of Pirate John Cockram (colleague of Benjamin Hornigold)married to Richard Thompsons daughter of Harbour Island
Posted by:Jul 20th 2008, 06:32:02 pm
Fig Tree News TeamHey there,
Just FYI, I found a good 'Lutra read the other day at Borders' --Colin Woodard's "The Republic of Pirates."

It chronicles how political vaccums among the colonial masters of the New World's outposts in the early 1700's, combined with the shift from feudal to capitalistic systems in Europe, inspired erstwhile law-abiding seafarers who'd been privateering to take the next step over the line to piracy.

Among the first to encourage this -- by offering the purchase the booty -- was the Thompson family of Harbour Island.

The tome reveals great detail about how the pirates made use of the shoals around Eleuthera.

This is a well-researched work, not just another Disney dash-off.

Be well, and I hope all hands had a fifth on the Fourth. Well, at least a cupla Kaliks.

Tom Baldwin

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration