Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

STAR Island (Cabbage Cay) Gets BEST Approval
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 17 messages
Posted by:Nov 25th 2010, 05:26:21 am
GrouperI'll say it again...
STAR: Sustainable, Terrain and Resources???
Within 5 years it'll change to Stagnant, Tarnished and Regretable.
Posted by:Nov 22nd 2010, 12:29:51 pm
KimberlyOther than a few access roads, absolutely nothing has been built on Cabbage Cay aka Star Island, enthusiastic press releases to the contrary :-).
Posted by:Nov 6th 2010, 07:44:09 pm
ColinHas anybody learned anything new about Star Island over the last few months? Has it opened? Is construction complete? How much are they selling the "homesites" and the "bungalows" for?

Their website looks pretty ncie but contains virtually no information beyond a few pictures.
Posted by:Oct 8th 2008, 10:37:30 am
KimberlyHumphrey Percentie Jr. is part of another eco-resort being built slightly to the west of Cabbage Cay, too ... is that what the commonage committee was discussing back in 2005?
Posted by:Oct 8th 2008, 10:12:54 am
speechthe Sale of the Cays adjacent to North Eleuthera like pierre island and them from what i heard was all negotiated under the UBP...the eason i was surprised about cabbage cay is that 3 years ago the commonage was discussing the island and there was talk of some resort but its was never approved as far as i know by the commonage committee and certainly never taken to the commoners. At that time 2005 the cay was still under commonage control.
Posted by:Oct 6th 2008, 09:35:01 pm
AmelieHope that the commonage committees do not wait for another ten years to survey their properties to be protected, just do it!!! If you have a map, use the map.
Posted by:Oct 6th 2008, 09:33:06 pm
KimberlyWell, Pigeon Island was built on back in the 1970s, complete with lagoon in the middle of the island ... and I have been hearing about condo pre-sales on Cabbage Cay for the past three years. Pierre Island has had a series of owners, and the Cornelius family built a house on Man Island in the last 1960s. Seems to have been a lot of activity for an area known to be registered 'commonage,' which is why I asked.
Posted by:Oct 6th 2008, 07:43:14 pm
ash12the plans has been drawn for years but not passed. not only until the other day like the original post says,,so i dont think that the construction was going on for years. only if they were doing so ileagally.gaulding cay is over the glass window bridge heading south,,so thats not of Harbour Island commonage property. the original map clearly shows the whole layout of all cays in the harbour as commonage land,,,but alot was done in the 60,s and the committee is trying its edeavoured best to raise the needed funds to get the property surveyed, to actually prove that the cays were infact commonage property
Posted by:Oct 6th 2008, 05:29:19 pm
KimberlyAre all of the little islands in the bay between Briland and Eleuthera considered commonage, then? Quite a few of them have been developed over the years.
Posted by:Oct 6th 2008, 05:27:53 pm
AmelieGaulding Cay on Eleuthera was commonage property before it was developed for a housing subdivision, so what is unusual about Cabbage being original commonage as well?
Posted by:Oct 5th 2008, 08:51:40 pm
KimberlyBut the construction on Cabbage Cay has been going on for years, though, and is easily visible as one flies over the bonefishing flats of North Eleuthera ... who on the commonage committee is in charge of patrolling the protected lands???
Posted by:Oct 5th 2008, 06:32:28 pm
ash12well there is a meeting scheduled on the 26th of the month. probably at that commonage meeting the question could surely be asked if they have any knowledge whatsoever of that island being sold and by whom,,,my guess is!, it probably was done before 1967,,,,like the other neibouring islands and keys which was all commonage property, but like i said,a guess
Posted by:Oct 4th 2008, 01:34:03 am
KimberlyLocal government would have to know that, as it would have to be registered locally by the regional commonage committee, yes?
Posted by:Oct 3rd 2008, 07:07:04 pm
ash12yes,,,speech,,the question is who did they buy it from and when did the buy it!
Posted by:Oct 3rd 2008, 03:08:16 pm
GrouperInteresting Website.
STAR: Sustainable, Terrain and Resources???
Within 5 years it'll change to Stagnant, Tarnished and Regretable.
Posted by:Oct 1st 2008, 08:36:37 pm
speechJust a little bit puzzled here....from i know myself....cabbage Cay is indisputably commonage property! How did these guys manage to purchase it?
Posted by:Oct 1st 2008, 08:49:37 am
Fig Tree News TeamFrom the Eleutheran, www.eleutheran.com:

STAR Island Receives Approval from Bahamian Environmental Science and Technology Commission

30 September, 2008

Star Island Bahamas has announced that the BEST
(Bahamian Environmental Science and Technology) Commission has approved their
Star Island Master Development Plan.

According to previously published information, this plans calls for the
development of a sophisticated private-island lifestyle through a mix of private
homes, resort residences and bungalows, complete with upscale facilities like a
spa, restaurants, bars, pools, tennis courts and a "no fuel" marina on Cabbage
Cay off North Eleuthera. The 35-acre island in a protected sound just 10 minutes
by boat from Harbour Island was purchased in 2007 by American businessmen Tom
Jacoby and David Sklar. The current development team also includes Attorney
Richard Aronsky and Entertainer, Bahamian, Benjamin Franklyn Caroll according to
their website - www.starislandbahamas.com

The name "STAR" an acronym for Sustainable Terrain and Resources, highlights
their declared aim of creating a self-sustaining "green" island featuring
everything from solar, wind, hydropower and bio-fuel energy sources to locally
grown organic foods.
The BEST approval confirms that Star Island Development plans meet or exceed
all environmental, economic, and social criteria and standards set forth by the
people and the government of the Commonwealth Of The Bahamas. It now paves the
way for mobilization and development of the island.

Beginning this month, they say, they will be announcing their Second Investment
opportunity as a limited one for qualified investors.
The most recent published timeline we could find, has doors opening in 2009.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration