Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Electricity
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 2Total of 31 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:Nov 5th 2008, 08:16:52 am
Big SlickMaybe the new Prime Minister elect Barack Obama will solve our electrical problems finaly. Oh wait that was the US Presidential election. My mistake...
Posted by:Nov 4th 2008, 07:50:29 am
smittyRight.Cheers
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 04:52:04 pm
KimberlyA price list was offered so that commercial establishments on the island (hotels, bars, cafes, stores, businesses) would take advantage of the program as developed.
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 03:50:09 pm
smittyGood news, but can't help but wonder why a price list was mentione in the post "Briland Goes Green"? I'm sure you can understand my confusion.
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 03:46:23 pm
KimberlyIndeed, but local government council and EnergyBahamas are in fact developing a program for local Bahamian residents that would in fact give CFL bulbs away free. Ministry of Environment in Nassau is working on a similar program nationwide, and intra-government cooperation is at an all-time high.

Cheers!
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 03:15:32 pm
smittyI sure hope your estimate of everyone changing bulbs works out.In my humble opinion (which admittedly is worth very little) if 25% of the residents change, it will be alot.Reason? They ain't free.
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 02:18:12 pm
KimberlySay what you want, but Harbour Island is effectively making baby steps in the short-term, while figuring out long-term alternative energy solutions.

In the meantime, if every single traditional bulb on Harbour Island were switched over to CFL lower energy units, the daily draw on BEC would be reduced by 4-5MW, more than half its normal load ... so yes, on an island the size of Harbour Island, something this simple really CAN make a difference.
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 10:59:37 am
smittyI've got to read or be told first hand that the power and water problems are all gone.There is no way I can pay 4000 a week for a rental and be without electricity 25% of the time and deal with water that glows in the dark.Sadly, I doubt if this is going to happen in my lifetime.
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 09:32:15 am
MaddieRight on Smitty!

It can't hurt, but I want to know how things go mid-March at the height of spring vacation...
Posted by:Nov 3rd 2008, 09:30:11 am
smittyThere you go Brilanders, the answere to your electrical problems are light bulbs!Beautiful..I guess you gotta start somewheres, huh?
Posted by:Nov 2nd 2008, 01:36:37 pm
Fig Tree News TeamEvery Watt Counts!
Briland Goes Green

[Dunmore Town, Harbour Island - 1 November 2009] -- Who says that a group of concerned citizens can't help City Hall? Harbour Island District Council, Philips Electronics, EnergyBahamas and the Bahamas Ministry of Environment are pleased to announce a one-time program during which all businesses (hotels, restaurants, cafés and other commercial enterprises), homeowners and residences on Harbour Island can replace their traditional light bulbs with energy-saving, longer-lasting CFL bulbs, as explained in the attached brochure. Philips is generously offering an especially low rate to Brilanders, and the Bahamas government has waived all import duty and stamp taxes for this campaign.

"For every 1,000 such bulbs that Brilanders are able to quickly replace, they can offset 1MW of the energy needed by Bahamas Electricity Corporation to power its beautiful island," notes Minister Earl Deveaux, Minister of Environment, "and as we have seen over the past several months ... every watt counts!"

The Philips/Briland Bulb price list for the various bulbs available is attached, as is an overview of Philips' energy-saving bulbs which will help consumers save on their monthly utility bills, while easing the power load on BEC's local generation plant.

Comparison chart:
WATTAGE (cfl) REPLACES
5w 25w A19
9w 40w A19
11W 40W A19
13W 60W A19
15W 60W A19
20W 75W A19
27W 100W A19
42W 150W A21

To make your order, please review the attached bulb shopping list, make your selection, and e-mail brilandbulbs@gmail.com, being certain to list your name, business/residence address and contact information. Offer good through 31 December 2008, and yes ... we have active plans to make this program available to Bahamians around the country shortly.

For more details, e-mail info@networkbahamas.com, or see www.briland.com/brilandbulbs.htm.
Posted by:Oct 30th 2008, 01:21:43 pm
MaddieAt this point - no where. Mom's health is too sketchy to make any plans.

Maybe somewhere warm at the last minute, but it all depends on her situation.

Posted by:Oct 30th 2008, 12:59:50 pm
snowyjust curious, where ya gonna go Maddie?
Posted by:Oct 23rd 2008, 10:41:20 am
smittyIt warms my heart to hear you say that.Of course your mom's health comes first and you're right, the flats will indeed always be there.There should be more like you, Maddie.
Posted by:Oct 23rd 2008, 08:34:19 am
MaddieI know, I can hardly imagine a year with no bonefishing; but Mom's health has to be my first priority and the flats will always be there...
Posted by:Oct 23rd 2008, 08:11:58 am
smitty...but, Maddie, where will you go Bonefishing??
Posted by:Oct 17th 2008, 05:03:40 pm
hobiecatWhat are the options on Briland for solar and wind power development? Are there any incentives in place for Bahamians and winter residents to install solar paneling on rooftops? I agree that we cannot wait for others to solve this problem and am wondering if there are any programs in place to develop alternative energy solutions for Briland as a community and the Bahamas as a nation.
Posted by:Oct 17th 2008, 04:45:43 pm
ash12just a thought,,,i wonder how long is the line that we,re on now BRILAND i mean, we were promised generators that can run the whole of north eleuthera. governments are doing they,re best to accomodate tourists and natives,,,it really sounds like a quick fix,,,you have to wait in line for huge gensets that can run an island. so if we help ourselves with standby gensets,surely alot of natives can afford to do so kristi. i have one and it has,nt ran in months, meaning the power has been great for months! they have biodeisel,deisel and propane,,,and the make them quite now. fuel you can get almost anytime, and we have a new gas station thats 85% completed so we,ll have all the fuel we,ll need,,i can hear the roosters over my osculating fan and air conditions,,,so the roosters can be a pain in the butt so thus speak,LOL, and i mean all night sometimes,,if we stop paying that would make things worst,,if everybody pay they,re taxes meaning natives and winter residents and i mean ontime! and honestly! real property tax is another issue and another topic,,,the governments job would be much easier i think in my veiw to help us better and quicker
Posted by:Oct 17th 2008, 01:03:59 pm
hobiecatJust a thought...what kind of air pollution do these generators create? How available is the fuel that the generators require? Seems to me that generators as a solution may cause more problems than they solve.
Posted by:Oct 17th 2008, 09:17:22 am
MaddieAnd once you all unite and get the problem fixed, we'll be back.

Both house have generators but they can't handle the prolonged black outs that the Narrows have been experiencing.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration