Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Light Bulbs
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 8 messages
Posted by:Jan 23rd 2009, 04:29:18 pm
MaddieThanks for clarifying the bigger issue. I should have been more specific when I asked the original question. At best, the lightbulb program is a band aid on a gushing wound. It is a tough issue but one that needs to be tackled if the Bahamas wants to survive as a major US tourist destination.
Posted by:Jan 23rd 2009, 02:14:15 pm
KimberlyAll good points, but the light bulb replacement program is what Maddie specifically asked about. There's alot happening at the central government (Nassau) and local government (Briland) level to figure out the island's infrastructure issues (roads, energy, water). They're well aware of the situation, although a bit hamstrung at the moment given similar problems throughout the archipelago. Urban planning for a disparate island nation isn't a walk in the park, nor is it in anyway similar to what's needed to support a single city network. I don't envy our Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Works at the moment.
Posted by:Jan 23rd 2009, 08:11:14 am
smittyRight on Grouper.Anyone hitching their wagon to that idea seems terribly naive to me.I've said it before and I'll say it again.Until HI
builds it own powerplant it will suck hind tit.If you want to play with the big boys,Nassau,Paradise Island, et al, then you better learn the rules.Otherwise suffer the consequences(declining tourism)
Posted by:Jan 22nd 2009, 07:58:43 pm
GrouperRplacing light bulbs due to an electricy problem rates right up there with increasing your tire inflation pressure to resolve the oil crises. Good luck!
Posted by:Jan 21st 2009, 01:14:13 pm
KimberlyTranslation ;-):

Some, but not all of the intended bulbs have been replaced so far ... the project is a slow-but-certain work in progress.
Posted by:Jan 21st 2009, 08:39:48 am
smittyWith all due respect, your reply is a bit difficult to understand by an un-educated slob such as me.Are you saying nothing has been done to alliviate the power problem on Harbour Island? Thank you.
Posted by:Jan 20th 2009, 11:25:37 am
KimberlyThe program is underway on various islands, including New Providence (Nassau) and Grand Bahama (Freeport), as the Ministry of Environment and Philips liked the concept so much that they decided to expand it throughout the country. As soon as we have tangible results to post, we'll be sure to update the community on ongoing efforts to green the energy infrastructure wherever possible.

Thanks for asking
Kimberly
Posted by:Jan 20th 2009, 08:51:16 am
MaddieHow did things go with the campaign for buying / using the new light bulbs?

Were there fewer power outages over the holidays?

I am particularly interested in the situation on the north end of the island...

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration