Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Immigration Raid
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 3Total of 52 messages
1 2 3 Next>>
Posted by:Feb 22nd 2009, 04:05:47 pm
brilandbeautySpanish Inquisition...thanks for the up date! I knew it was Vodoo but din't want to make it an issue of religion, I was just amaking a point that borrowed from it. Hobbiecat...ironically enough, I know more about your countries laws and /or practices than most Americans. Once again...was just making the point that with different people, comes different beliefs and or practices that may not add to our country but rather subtract from it. Our country doesn't have people in the millions only in the thousands and we can be a very impressionable country. We can't afford the types of impressions that would come with allowing any and all nations to set up camp in our fragile country...WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!
Posted by:Feb 19th 2009, 10:31:55 am
The spanish inquisitionThe main religion of haiti is Voodoo, brilandbeauty. That's also where Voodoo originated from.

It's baicially corrupted Catholicism (redundant) that the slaves were forced to learn, but they intertwined it with a lot of their african practices.

It's NOT akin to obeah.

refs:
http://www.travelinghaiti.com/haitian_voodoo.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou
Posted by:Feb 18th 2009, 05:41:25 pm
hobiecatI don't want to join the debate on immigration, but would just like to address brilandbeauty's comment regarding Christianity and the US. The US does not have an official, sanctioned religion. The first amendment to the US Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.." The purpose of this amendment was to ensure that the US would not form an official, national religion or prevent a preference of one religion over another. That concludes my US civics lesson for the day ;-)
Posted by:Feb 18th 2009, 09:41:35 am
travelereveryone has their concerns but the reality his if the bahamas let everyone stay our economy will drop look at the other carribbean countries they have to much people and the economy is crap so just protect the most successful country in the carib
Posted by:Feb 17th 2009, 11:07:11 pm
brilandbeautyColin, I agree mainly with the point that we (the bahamas) can't afford immigration on the level that a more prosperous and devloped country like the America's can. However, I always wondered does excepting and integrating other cultures and ethnicities make a country stronger (as you suggested) or with time the overwhelming differences causes it's demise? For example, the different number of immigrants to Americas total (ummm) all it's people but although they have contributed to building the great nation as we know it...now with it's internal differences destruction ensues...(WASN'T christianity the formal religion and is now being stripped?) What if this is to happen to the bahamas? Creol is our new first language and our national religion of christianity is now (whatever they preactice)? I for one would rather influence them, than have them influence us...since this is after all our bahamaland!
Posted by:Feb 17th 2009, 08:29:29 pm
ash12oh is that rite amelie! i once never said that i only want all of the work. i only take what i can handle to provide for my family. are you of haitian descent! for a minute there thought that you were upset! comprehension is a virtue i see ( ilEAGALs is what i have a problem with) now do you have a problem with that?does the cap fit you,re head!! geeese. well amelie if you alone pay my license fee,s then you can suggest that i can feel free to do all the work! how dare you? but again i am a brilander you can make any statment you like! i am sure
Posted by:Feb 17th 2009, 08:50:53 am
smittyYou're probably right to some degree, Colin although you'll catch a lot of flak.I see them standing on street corners here on Long Island, "shaping up" for work, hoping to get picked up by cotractors, builders, etc evry morning.They want to work but sadly lack the skills they say they have.The result is they have to be let go and when that happens too many take the path of least resistance and slip into a life of crime. That's when the problems that get so much attention start.
Posted by:Feb 17th 2009, 07:04:03 am
travelerwell the only way to stop imigrants is to cahnge the law for example before u can hire any immigrants they have to speak english make it twice as hard to get work permits or resisidency in the bahamas any other country u travel to in the world u have to speak the language and although they are looking for a better life there are rules. And as far as underpaying them thats not right either but what u can do is make the employer pay more to get them a work permit and find the employer if he hires illegal immigrants its the same around the world and if the brilanders are more educated now they should have to work in a field they love not what they have to do to survive i am proud of all my educated brilandes keep it poppin and protect what is yours the right way
Posted by:Feb 15th 2009, 05:25:25 pm
Briland_AmbitionAPPPLAUSE APPLAUSE APPLAUSE APPLAUSE (A Ctitic to an Island where A. all there heritage is
B. Children onced lived and school
and little do they no, no matter how much critque they give they still live there and do nothing about situations) (Leaving this forum * shaking and head with it hang down in shame)
Posted by:Feb 15th 2009, 05:19:49 pm
AmelieNow that the USA president Obama has announced to open Cuba, no problem for Haitians to come to Harbour Island anymore ASH12, you are free to do all of th work all of the time, at whatever payment you want I am sure.
Posted by:Feb 15th 2009, 09:11:09 am
ash12if its incorrect i,m talking behind ma ruby, aunt olga higgs,,my dad mr aranha,,so who you think i should beleive? you or them! if you,re mom made a good salary,,what was it? i know it was,nt $200 a week.what does growing up on grand bahama got to do with the situation? i was born on baracks hill. so i dont know where that statement came in! for a minute there it sounds like you know me more than i do! all brilanders aren,t inambitious.like i said earlier all you are richard p is a critic when it comes to brilanders.all arent vocal! but i am one who is
Posted by:Feb 14th 2009, 05:15:39 pm
Fig Tree News TeamNassau Guardian:
Immigrants apprehended on Eleuthera released

By JASMIN BONIMY,Guardian Staff Reporter,jasmin@nasguard.com

More than 180 people were released by the Immigration Department after being apprehended in Eleuthera last week.

In a press release sent to The Nassau Guardian yesterday, the department revealed that it had released 163 of the 225 people detained during a joint operation with the police and defence forces on Wednesday, February 4, 2009.

"A total of 130 persons were released after producing proper documentation and another 33 families produced documents or paid outstanding fees for the work permits," stated the release.

It added that last week Wednesday's operation helped the Immigration Department collect $10,000 in outstanding fees.

According to the Immigration Department, the remaining 62 people were transported to New Providence where they were further processed.

On Monday, after completing a "review exercise" immigration officials discovered that 60 men, three women, and six children had legal status and the 19 people were also released from custody that day.

The remaining 113 men, including 112 Haitians and one Jamaican, 23 women and seven children without legal status are currently being held at the Carmichael Road Detention Center. They are expected to be repatriated this week according to officials.

The number of Haitian nationals apprehended in Wednesday's operation was strikingly similar to the number apprehended during a similar operation conducted by the department nearly three years ago, under the administration of former prime minister Perry Christie.

In that operation in 2006, 193 Haitian nationals were apprehended; however, 179 were eventually released after it was found that they were not legally apprehended during the course of that raid.

The operation last week that was spearheaded by Senior Deputy Director of Immigration Roderick Bowe, involved 20 Immigration officers, 40 Royal Bahamas Defence Force marines and an unspecified number of Royal Bahamas Police Force officers.

The settlements of Governor's Harbour, Palmetto Point and Harbour Island were all targeted after numerous complaints were made by residents. Immigration officials, however, shot down claims that their team handled the operation unprofessionally.

"The department wishes to categorically deny any suggestions that suspected illegal migrants were treated inhumanly or less than respected," the release said. "The department is fully aware of its obligations and commitments during such apprehension exercises and will at all times adhere to the strictest code of conduct and best practices."
Posted by:Feb 13th 2009, 05:32:49 pm
ColinAt the risk of becoming a big target let me note that America has always benefited from its immigrants -- legal or otherwise.

Sure there are short terms costs to illegal immigration but the societal and economic benefits are huge. We get people willing to work hard, who end up caring more for America than many of those who might call themselves native-born. We get hard-headed business people with enormous ambition. I'll take those huddled masses yearning to be free any day, no matter their skin color, languages or ethnicity. But America is an enormous land mass, not a tiny island. We can afford to be generous. I think Bahamians are incredibly generous but physically contained and economically limited societies find it much more difficult to absorb new people and cultures en masse.

As for the Haitians themselves, is there any among us who would want to live the lives they do? Granted, it's their country and they should fix it, but when it's easier and safer to go somewhere else and get a new start who wouldn't try? If only they would head somewhere other than the Bahamas, with its limited resources. Delray Beach already has a pretty good population of Haitians, not to mention Belle Glade, but America can absorb a lot more.
Posted by:Feb 13th 2009, 01:00:36 am
Richard PAsh, youre information is incorrect AND you grew up in Freeport. My mummy did make good wages bakc in the 1970's.
Posted by:Feb 12th 2009, 08:55:51 pm
ash12hi chapel,,i,m not distinctively talking about low wages sending people off to college ,school ect.i was referring to kimberly about maids back in the 1970,s making over $200 a week. i myself is in my late 30,s ,,,who you think gave me the info about the wages back then. elders, much older than i am. you know bahamians that earn 65 to 70 dollars a week? dont misunderstand me but i,m talking about for the lastime people taking advantage of ileagals,,that was my point.i know whats best for me, i,m not disbuting that you know bahamians who work in that feild. i know them also but thatsnot my feild so why should i want to do it? i know what i,m good at,,i,ll stick to my feild. did anybody here watch the news tonight? or heard what the reporter said! about the undocumented people thatcame from the north eleuthera area,,that was my main focus
Posted by:Feb 12th 2009, 02:14:52 pm
chapelHi, Ash: Feel free to ask any of the older housekeepers with children in their 30s and 40s how they managed to afford sending their children off to school in the U.S. and Canada back in the day? No chance that you'll be seeing that level of progress with too many (although certainly not all) of today's salary levels, though, which is too bad.

If you feel that the support salaries are too low at the moment, then this is your opportunity to make the case to potential residential and commercial employers that Harbour Island is NOT Costa Rica, and that the cost of living is much higher than it used to be.

You also may want to work to make certain that local housekeepers and gardeners (since those are the jobs you cite) are equipped with the latest hospitality training from the Hotel Training College in Nassau ... keeping a house or maintaining a landscape is alot more intensive than it used to be.

I'm sorry that you consider such jobs to be beneath you, but there are plenty of good BAHAMIAN friends of mine on Harbour Island that ARE making good money doing that level of work. Not every resort or second homeowner or local Bahamian is taking advantage of the "buy one, get two free" discounted labour program offered by illegal immmigrants, you know ;-).
Posted by:Feb 12th 2009, 01:32:42 pm
ash12hey kim, i thought we were talking about what you mentioned about brilanders should run and grab all the maid and gardener jobs that the haitians had before they got carried off to nassau. now i,m saying in my own words,i think brilanders have progressed so! they wont have to run for those meager lowpaying jobs! the cost of living is to high for us as brilanders to work for such. is something wrong with that? i know of maids (bahamian) who work for less than $200 now a days! i stand to be corrected there were no maids in the early 1970,s that made over $200 bucks. brilanders are more educated, they travel much more! those times have passed where you could,ve bought a gallon of milk for $2.00! now its $10.00.ofcourse i know that tourism is our #1 industry. we cannot stop change, it will happen while i,m here and while i,m gone. should brilanders or any person in the bahamas settle for less? and deep down they know they can make much more with education. by all means everybody on H.I is,nt lacking of ambition
Posted by:Feb 11th 2009, 11:30:30 pm
KimberlyHey, Ash ... I think what everyone is saying in their own way at the moment is, Bahamians/Brilanders have a real opportunity at the moment to step up and reclaim their island ... if they choose not to, for whatever reason, the results are on their heads and no one else's. If there's work on the island that needs to be done, and the local oversight deems that the wages are workable, then the WORK ought to get done. No excuses. Everyone's in the same boat at the moment. Tourism is Harbour Island's chief export at the moment, and folks have many choices as to where to vacation. Let's return Harbour Island to its original glory, shall we?
Posted by:Feb 11th 2009, 10:09:51 pm
ash12lack of ambition!! now theres a good laugh!!you talking about some or all brilanders.but you did say you,re outside looking in, probably if you look at it from the inside you,ll see our angle better,i sip martini,s also
Posted by:Feb 11th 2009, 09:49:02 pm
ash12i take it that no one here is,nt taking it under consideration that our lil island is and has been for years loaded with illeagal imagrants!( thats the big picture here)atleast what i,m looking at. rite there in the bluff a teacher is fed up to her neck, a class out,ve probaly twenty 1st graders only two are bahamian, and only the bahamian can understand eanglish.what must we as a nation do now? make it manditory that we learn broken french and french to keep up? Richard.p i know,ve alot of licenced electrical contractors,building contractors,plumbing contractors and who are all bahamian and who took and past all they,re exams.so i make no excuses.i also have an issue with individuals on H.I taking advantage of haitians with salaries! they would rather gamble with all sorts of ileagals on they,re job sites than to operate within the law! so its not a matter of haitians having jobs and bahamians are complaining! if you find me complaining? i have a good reason to complain! i standup for rightousness when it comes to law.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration