Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Commercial Netting of YellowFin Tuna (Bahamas)
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 13 messages
Posted by:Feb 27th 2010, 12:38:30 pm
Fig Tree News TeamKimberly

The Bahamas, with the exception of very remote areas, are rapidly being depleted of its fisheries.

By way of example the reefs off of Miami and the Keys are teeming with fish. The reefs off of Harbour Island around to somewhere well south of Royal are virtually devoid of edible fish and few tropicals.

The bottom line is there are few laws protecting the fisheries and absolutly no enforcement of the few they have. This is reversible for the moment but it requires sanctuaries ,no fish zones AND enforcement.

Very soon Cuba will open to free travel. When that occurs those that come to the Bahamas for fishing and diving will move to Cuba in mass leaving the fragile Bahamian economy in shambles.

Crime is a very real if generally ignored issue in the Bahamas and certainly on Harbour Island. The pervailing attitude seems to be one of " they're rich and can afford it " . Many people vow never to return to Harbour Island as a result of a single bad experience.

Theft is now showing up in the homes of permanent and winter residents.

Turn the economy further upside down and the result will be devastating to Harbour Island and the Bahamas as a whole.

Please spread this around to those who can make a difference.

Darryl Parmenter
Parmenter Realty Partners,
and Romora Bay Club
1111 Brickell Ave
Suite 2910
Miami, FL 33131
305-379-7500
Posted by:Feb 26th 2010, 06:41:36 pm
Fig Tree News TeamSubject: Public Town Meeting on the Netting of Tuna in the Bahamas

Just two weeks ago I found out about the proposed commercial netting operation in the Bahamas. I never would have imagined that forming this group would generate so much attention. With almost 3,000 members and a plethora of opinions and information to be obtained, I encourage everyone involved with my group to continue to stay informed.

The following is an invitation to the scheduled Town Meeting to be held in Freeport, Grand Bahama next Monday, March 1, 2010:

"Freeport, Grand Bahama - Grand Bahama Regional Committee of the Bahamas National Trust invites you to a Town Meeting to discuss The Netting of Tuna in The Bahamas.

Monday, March 1st, 2010 at 6:30pm at The Rand Nature Centre, Settlers Way.

This moderated meeting will have a variety of individuals presenting information and points of view in regards to the above issue. Each individual will have five minutes to present his/her information and then the floor will be open for questions."

"Public Town Meeting on The Netting of Tuna in The Bahamas."
Copyright 2010. http://www.facebook.com/l/b6b73;thebahamasweekly.com.

I would strongly suggest attending this meeting. All information will be presented in a controlled format.

Continue to spread the word and remain involved. The fate of our prolific fishery is on the filet table.

Sincerely,
Chase Cornell
Posted by:Feb 23rd 2010, 08:37:00 pm
Fig Tree News TeamHere's the link about the government's plan to ban netting.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/02232010_altuna_news_pg1

Good work, everyone!
Posted by:Feb 17th 2010, 03:04:11 pm
ash12i,m currently investigating this so called boat docked in freeport.
Posted by:Feb 16th 2010, 06:02:17 pm
Fig Tree News TeamArea precedent that we can share:
http://us.oneworld.net/node/159574

""The reason for the new law is ecological. In Venezuela, trawlers damage over 68,000 square kilometers (26,000 square miles) of seabed a year. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) warns that if this continues, marine species will be wiped out by 2048," Gimenez said.

According to studies by the FAO, two thirds of the fish stocks in the world's oceans are overfished, and the ones facing the greatest threats are close to coastlines. The global fish catch has stagnated at between 85 and 95 million tons a year over recent decades, a sign that marine reserves are overexploited.

Jaua said that "the ban on industrial trawling was requested by artisanal fisherfolk, fish farmers, environmental groups, and academics concerned with the preservation of marine and river resources, and it is in keeping with global trends."
Posted by:Feb 16th 2010, 05:36:45 pm
Fig Tree News TeamEmail Michael Braynen, Michaelbraynen@Bahamas.gov.bs and asking him to put all purse seine net permits on hold while his office conducts an economic impact study on the devestation of the remaining fisheries on the regional hotel, resort and real estate markets.

At the moment Braynen's office is suggesting that the present instance offers a Bahamian boat applying for a legal Bahamian permit that they can't deny.

What we're suggesting is ... don't deny it, just put it on hold while they conduct a study and change the law in the meantime.
Posted by:Feb 16th 2010, 03:59:21 pm
Fig Tree News TeamThe Fig Tree News Team Has A Dream:

We really need to focus on our internal issues and deputize local Bahamians to step in and protect their own legacy as well: local fishermen aren't helping the situation in many pockets of the country, and the Bahamas National Trust/Defence Force/Ministry of Environment can't be everywhere at once.

Do your part to keep your own backyard pristine for the next generation.
Posted by:Feb 16th 2010, 03:34:41 pm
Fig Tree News TeamHi, Ash. Any information that you can research given your family's connections in Freeport would be much appreciated.

In related news, Fina Johnson reports that an email petition has been launched in order to show the overwhelming opposition to the tuna netting about to take place in The Bahamas.

In order to add your name to the petition please email: BanTunaNettingBahamas@gmail.com.

Thanks
Lord Dunmore Grouper
... about to get netted ;-(
Posted by:Feb 14th 2010, 11:10:48 pm
ash12or should i find out on my own of the two brothers in freeport?
Posted by:Feb 14th 2010, 05:56:39 am
ash12who are the two bahamian brothers in freeport you mentioned.if you know who they are, email the names to me
Posted by:Feb 13th 2010, 09:46:55 pm
Fig Tree News TeamVoice your concerns to Minister of the Environment Earl Deveaux (deveauxearl@yahoo.com) and Minister of Tourism Vincent Vanderpool Wallace (vvw@bahamas.com) ... Bahamians for maintaining Bahamian assets in a sustainable fashion! For the record, Andy Leggett at Ocean Fox sounded the alarm years ago, about local fishermen finning sharks at Grouper Hole, and commercial fishermen taking sea life from hallowed dive sites at The Plateau and The Arch off North Eleuthera near Whale Point ;-(. Bahamas National Trust cannot do it on their own, and this is just more of the same.

Lord Dunmore Grouper,
travelling editor
Posted by:Feb 13th 2010, 06:46:12 pm
ash12wow! serious! who are the bahamian brothers in freeport? i see it to also we will lose plenty fish here according to what i see come in to the docks on briland! just how many pounds of fish per day can foreignors carry out of the country? we need someone to monitor the fishing badly! but if we have our local guys who are doing it also! what can be done?!
Posted by:Feb 12th 2010, 05:38:42 pm
Fig Tree News TeamRemember this day.

There's a Pelagic offshore fish netting ship that is currently docked in Freeport harbour, preparing to go to sea in the next month, which will be the first pelagic netting boat in The Bahamas.

-- Bad news for our environment
-- Bad news for our economy and future
-- Bad news for our fisherman
-- Bag news for our children

The letter below was spurred on by several friends that know the Bahamian brothers in Freeport that are planning this operation. They were just in Italy looking at a large net-boat and are moving forward with their plans. One purpose of the letter was to get some dialogue initiated as opposed to waiting for them to start netting and then possibly fighting it. We need to be proactive and get some folks thinking about this issue. It does not appear to be illegal, just a horrible idea for the careful management of Bahamian resources. All over the world commercial fishermen fight regulation claiming the need to make a living but as you well know tourism and sport-fishing support many Bahamian families in a sustainable manner.

In the Bahamas the key is eco-friendly tourism. If Bahamians really loved tuna as they do conch and grouper there would be fewer than there are I suppose but they are a fish that anglers with lots of money love to hunt. To exploit them commercially would make a few people a lot of money in the short term (exporting the catch) but impact the environment in several ways. Moreover, it would impact the high end tourist trade at a time when that is already under pressure.

The damage done to the environment with hung-up nets and so forth would be horrible. I know through personal knowledge that these same commercial fishermen have made illegal steel rebar fish-traps without the requisite escape doors and have abandoned them to kill for years to come.

My reaction to the soon to start netting of Yellowfin Tuna in The Bahamas. The Atlantic stocks seem to be in pretty good shape compared to many other fish. However, there are also by-catch (turtles , sharks, and game-fish) and marine mammal considerations.

These considerations are much different than open ocean netting. At a place like Dutch Bar you are going to get everything that is hovering about. Several places are shallow enough that it is possible for the nets to snag on the bottom, damaging the sea-floor and with very large portions of the net remaining there.

Many know the commercial operators from Freeport, and know they will not quit until there is nothing commercially viable left.

They could hit Hole in the Wall; Andros; and Dutch Bar, once a week. When those spots slow down they can go to Rum Cay; Long Island; and San Salvador. They can make an ever widening circle that may be sustainable in the short term but also kill the tourism in the short term. They are good fisherman and will catch them. It is just a matter of how long they remain to be caught and how much the rest of the eco-system suffers in the period that justifies the commercial onslaught.

They can also sell shark-fins and wahoo and dolphin and so on and so on and so on.

The tourism argument seems to be a strong one.

Yellowfin Tuna fill a lot of hotel rooms and dock slips and fancy restaurants with well off anglers.

Also, this comes at a time that the Bahamas should be tightening its belt environmentally speaking, not finding new ways to decimate its appeal to an ever shrinking tourist dollar. Cuba will be more of a competitor very soon and many other fish in the Bahamas are ever more tightly regulated leaving rod and reel large tuna fishing as a big draw economically without hurting the population stock. My very un-scientific estimate is that rod and reel fisherman probably catch about 1% of what netting would.

Netting these fish that are gathering themselves into a easily targeted biomass would be very destructive in a very short time.

The consequences are magnified by the taking of the by-catch that is a big part of the original lure bringing these tuna in. Here is a quote from a friend of mine that used to commercial fish for yellowfin:

"Hi Scott, I will tell you one day about netting yellowfin tuna on the Pacific side of Costa Rica. The boat was 125' with a 15 man crew. 20,000 to 40,000 lbs a set. lots of pictures." -- Bill

That is as much yellowfin tuna in one set of the net as tourists and Bahamians catch at the Dutch Bar or Hole in the Wall in an entire year. Please send this out to all of the people that you know that enjoy "trying" to catch a yellowfin tuna. At the very least there should an informed debate about the pros and cons of this for The Bahamas.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishwatch/species/atl_yellowfin.htm