Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

February Attack
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 11 messages
Posted by:Apr 10th 2010, 05:47:08 pm
MaddieThe Crime Watch Team and new police presence have been a wonderful addition to the island!

I have just returned from 2 weeks there and felt quite safe until the next to last day when I was assaulted on the government dock by Jermaine Johnson (Pastor Stanley's grandson).

Some of my local friends and my fishing guide Stuart Cleare came to my rescue and nothing major resulted. At Edie Major's urging I did go to the Police Station to report the incident and was assured by the police chief inspector that the man in question would be delt with and I have no doubt that he will be!

This is the kind of action that has been needed to keep everyone safe!
Posted by:Mar 29th 2010, 04:59:11 pm
Lutra AnnieI agree with you hobiecat. I am very proud of the effort the Brilanders are making to take care of the problems on the island.
Posted by:Mar 29th 2010, 01:20:42 pm
hobiecatUgly American is free to choose another vacation destination. I for one am extremely proud of the recent efforts of Brilanders to become more involved in their community. Great work crime watch team and great work all Brilanders. I support you 110%!
Posted by:Mar 28th 2010, 11:45:50 pm
The Fig Tree News TeamPlease feel free to ask our Minister of Immigration, who has since confirmed in several press conferences post-incident that retail and construction work is in fact restricted to Bahamians.
Posted by:Mar 28th 2010, 08:39:16 pm
ash12it maybe slow to you but there is atleast 95% occupancy to some hotels and 100% to others so all of your prayers aren,t coming through! from that incident there has,nt been any other crimes of that matter or any breakins committed. briland is indeed still a major tourist destination. the report comes from the harbour Island Police Station. in addition the crime watch committee is working very hard night and day to keep the reduction in crime. so all of your ahrsh and mean comments about briland and its residents are aleast showing you UA that we care about our GUEST who visit!
Posted by:Mar 28th 2010, 05:21:33 pm
UglyAmericanConstruction work is NOT "restricted to Bahamians only" and is in fact open to anyone with a valid work permit.

The attack was a random attack on an American tourist, symbolic of the increasing violence against foreigners in the Bahamas and the slow decline of Harbour Island as a tourist destination.
Posted by:Mar 21st 2010, 09:08:31 am
JellyfishThank you for the input.
Posted by:Mar 21st 2010, 01:43:46 am
The Fig Tree News TeamThe attackers are currently incarcerated pending their trial.
Posted by:Mar 20th 2010, 10:40:53 pm
The Fig Tree News TeamThe Connecticut "tourist" was actually an American construction worker on a project in Harbour Island, who was staying with a bigger crew at Tingum Village. This might be a good time to note, without casting aspersions, that construction and retail work is legally restricted to Bahamians only, which detail may or may not be the source of the underlying conflict here, given the significant unemployment rate on the island.

Thanks
Posted by:Mar 20th 2010, 07:57:49 pm
MSHillsI'd Like to know too!
Posted by:Mar 20th 2010, 10:54:51 am
JellyfishI just became informed of the Connecticut tourist attacked Feb. 26th on HI. Does anyone have any other information? What B & B? Who were the attackers and where are they now?

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration