Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Local Government
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 19 messages
Posted by:Jun 30th 2003, 03:15:08 pm
fabuloustinyWell, I must say it surprises me to read all these negative things about Councillor Knowles and the way you direct your anger towards her and each other. I am not only saddened but frustrated with the way we degrade and backstab each other. I am a Proud Brilander and I support Mrs. Knowles for what she is doing for our community and what she plans to do. The saying "It takes a village to raise a child", comes to mind. In this case the child is our community. Let us stop being petty and picky about any small things and get together and back Mrs. Knowles. Let us work with her to better ourselves as a community. Ask yourselves, "Is this kind of backstabbing going on in other communities as it relates to their District Council? If there is trust me we will not know. Only in Briland! In everything we do there is always going to be good & bad, let the bad be behind us and the good be before us.
Mrs. Knowles, I support you, continue to do your best.

Posted by:Jun 30th 2003, 07:34:49 am
MaddieKimberly couldn't be more correct. Let's expend our energy rallying around the good positive work that is being done, not on complaining and critisizing everyone.
Did you know it takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown and you get fewer wrinkles from smiling than from frowning...
Posted by:Jun 30th 2003, 04:23:42 am
KimberlyHey, proud Bahamian: You make some excellent points. Why don't we focus on the interesting community projects that local government and Mrs. Knowles ALREADY have underway, like the complete overhaul of the library, their ongoing support of the computer center, their work with the local Briland Parks project on the site of the former dump [and the work needed to get that site cleaned up as nicely as they have], various summer afterschool programs being planned, cleanup programs underway. The good news for local government is that Kayla Davis will be staying with the council ... so it's time for everyone to rally around the Briland local government council, and give them our support. Let's get some work done, already!
Posted by:Jun 28th 2003, 10:54:04 am
proud_bahamianthis is my first day / time visiting briland.com and frankly i visited simply because of all the NEGATIVITY that i heard was posted on this world wide web site concerning a gracious - god fearing lady as Mrs. knowles . i did not believe that our fellow brothers and sisters could not and would not do this so i decided to come and see for myself and to my surprise it is here ..
this is totally rediculous to do this to mrs. knowles or any fellow person ..
i can remember .. just like yesterday .. may 2nd 2002 when we had a change of government OUR PRAYERS WERE ANSWERED .. and we as bahamians expected so much and wanted it over night HOWEVER we soon realized that it does not happen over night so i say to you IT DOES NOT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT .. the time that is spent by critizing and talking about her lets stop that and spend that time in prayer for her that god himself will lead and guide her . because i would like to say thatwhen all of this is over it is only what is done for christ that will last . lets remember that GOd has bought us a very long way and he has better things in store for us as a country then to get on this web site and down one of our LOVELY locals .
lets concentrate on how blessed we are to be so prosperous in our community . the tourist are still returning thankful to see our smiling faces .
as i end let me do so by saying once again .. IT TAKES TIME AND GUIDANCE .. lets put it in gods hands and believe that his will had to be done and let him work it out ..
Posted by:Jun 1st 2003, 03:42:50 pm
Robert HSaw an interesting quote on television last night. "The highest mark of any civilisation is its decency. Decency among everyone in a society is the most that any civilisation can aspire to. One way to judge a civilisation is to see how they treat dogs, old people and prisoners."
Posted by:Jun 1st 2003, 02:19:31 pm
KimberlyHi, LLL. This particular website and online community discussion is only as good as its contributors. People's impressions of what is happening in their community are encouraged.

We'd love to have you and everyone else post more notes of community involvement on the island. As it stands, the recent discussion of local government issues has encouraged just as many supporters of Eloise Knowles' work as chief councillor to post their comments as it has her detractors.

The Briland Modem online forum is meant to be a community forum representing the various interests of everyone on Harbour Island. Any and all news, information, updates, assistance that you or anyone else can offer our volunteer editorial team covering the news and community issues of the day on Harbour Island and North Eleuthera would be much appreciated!

Thanks for checking in --
Kimberly
Posted by:Jun 1st 2003, 09:39:22 am
LLLThis whole issue about Mrs Knowles, should have never been entered on this website. It is not only insulting to Mrs. Knowles but it brings out a lot of un-neccessary negativeness, and is a poor reflection on us as a people in a small community. There are a lot more important and positive issues going on in Harbour Island right now i.e the Briland Awareness Group (B.A.G). The Teen Pregnancy Awareness Group - Kiwanis - The P.T.A The Youth Band - "Youth Month".
What happen to your topic on Youth Month? If the persons in charge of this website has or wishes to offer something positive to our island then PLEASE erase this issue concerning Mrs. Knowles and bring on positive topics that would motivate - educate - and unite our Briland People. Thank You
Posted by:May 31st 2003, 07:14:39 am
MaddieKayla,
To that end, PLEASE report on ANY positive things that are happening and let this negative stuff end. What is happening with the roads and the clean up?
Posted by:May 30th 2003, 10:42:40 pm
DAVISHi there,
I am sure every one knows me, yes it is Kayla Davis, I have read the various messages on the board, and I must say that I am very sadden by some of the comments and remarks made.

I must say that Harvey Roberts was a very good Chief Councillor, however his time is up and Mrs. Knowles now serves as the Chief Councillor, my mom always mentioned to me, that " Rome was not built in a day", give her some time, she has done good since her reign as Chief COuncillor and I assure you, that through the years to come she will do more for the Harbour Island community. Let us encourage her, assist her and I assure you she will make Harbour Island extremely proud of her.

I want you all to know, that we must stick together as Harbour Islanders and look out for the betterment of our island. So stop making remarks which will only give a negative impact on Harbour Island, because Mrs. Knowles does represent us..... me and you.

Posted by:May 28th 2003, 11:21:08 pm
MaddieInstead of putting people down, it would be nice to hear about the positive things that ARE happening on Briland. Why don't you report on the specifics of the road work and the specifics of the clean up campaign. A little positive momentum would go a long way.
Posted by:May 28th 2003, 10:55:01 pm
native"She needs to go." Now, Sunrise, what's your gripe? Is it something personal? Obviously no one is going to take your message seriously. I say that after reading the last line of your message. The people put the current chief into power, and that stands for something.
There will always be haters, such as yourself, that's for sure, but the way that you have expressed yourself was very unnecessary.
Posted by:May 28th 2003, 09:00:13 pm
island ladywe always run people out of town before we give them a chance
Posted by:May 28th 2003, 08:50:07 pm
SunriseExcuse me Bahamas spoken, but Mrs KNowles CHIEF" not chef councilor is NOT Fixing the roads...Mr Bradley Roberts Minister of WOrks is doing that job get ya facts straight..She needs TO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..
Posted by:May 28th 2003, 08:36:14 am
smittyGet real Kim, you know that there are only a few and they are always the same people that get involved and take charge, whether it be a high school re-union or governing an island.We have a saying in engineering "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way".Seems from what I've been reading, it might apply here. Ken
Posted by:May 28th 2003, 12:28:40 am
KimberlyI just wish that Brilanders as a whole would spend a little less time complaining about what other people aren't doing for the community ... and little more time helping all of the various worthy programs around the island get started and stay moving.

We're so lucky to call this island our home, and should be thrilled to help each other along the way.
Posted by:May 27th 2003, 07:27:22 pm
bahamas_spokenAS A PROUD BRILANDER IT HURTS ME TO SEE ALL OF THESE OTHER BRILANDERS OR SO CALL BRILANDERS TO PUT DOWN ONE OF THERE OWN IT IS WRONG I THINK THAT THE NEW CHEF CONSULOR IS A BETTER ONE SHE TAKES TIME OUT TO AT LEAST SEE HOW PEOPLE OF THE ISLAND ARE DOING UN LIKE OTHER PASS CHEF CONSULORS I THINK THAT WITH A LITTLE BIT OF TIME SHE WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST CHEF CONSULERS THIS ISLAND HAD EVER HAD AS U NOTICE THE ROADS ALONG THE SEA ARE BEING FIX ALSO THE ROAD SO PLEASE DON'T TELL FIBS ONLINE AND YOU ALL CALL UR SELF BRILANDER I THINK ALL OF YOU'LL NEED TO FORGET THE TITLE OF A BRILANDER CUZ IT IS WRONG FOR U TO PUT DOWN YOUT FELLOW BRILANDER AND BY THE WAY I THINK SHE IS DOING A GREAT JOB AND KALA WAS NEVER FIERD SHE WANTED TO GO SO GET THE FACT TOGETHER
Posted by:May 24th 2003, 01:10:07 pm
BahamaladyI am a young female that lives in the Harbour Island community. It sickens me to see how people we are supposed to respect and look up to, people we vote for to lead us in uniting our community are backbiting each other. How do you expect to gain the respect from locals if you are showing no examples yourselves. I have been in positions to accept and take leadership roles in the community, but because of the way I see some of you people carry on it's discouraging and disgusting. You wonder why some foreigners come in and treat us the way they do. Because they watch you destroy each others characters. If you are putting your own people down, how are we to gain respect from outsiders? "WAKE UP"! people. It's time to stop all the petty bickering and childish games and support each other in our efforts to better our Island. If we let our children see what we are doing to each other then this cycle is going to continue. It's a vicious one, so "PLEASE", lets break it. I am writing this in support of Mrs. Knowles please give her a chance. Mr. Roberts had his, they all have something to contribute in their own way, so let them. Everybody wants to be a leader, but not everyone can lead. There can only be one leader at a time, so let her do her job.
Posted by:May 19th 2003, 02:44:30 pm
Richard Pare we still rehashing this old thing? Cannot run a local government without training, and no one on the council has ever had to manage a whole payroll. who knew that Harvey R would be so missed after all of this time? Mrs. KNowles is very nice, but without Kayla davis in the office I dont think that very much can be done.
Posted by:May 18th 2003, 01:17:28 pm
SawyerI have been on Harbour Island for some six years now, and I must voice on how poorly local government is operating. The new chief Councillor does not seem to be doing the job she was elected to do, yes the island is dirty, the roads are terrible and the Council is mote divided then ever. I know for a fact on several occassions i went to the office to speak with her and she is never there or she is upstairs with the administrator

I would like to note that she is not a good Chief Councillor and she does not seem to know how to handle the job.... She has been then for one year so she needs to get with the programme.

The only question I have to ask is this with the secretary, Kayla Davis leaving, where or what is the council going to do, or where will they fgo, becuase she was basically running the Council's Office.

aAnyway, Harbour Island words of wisdom, " Get Ready, because it is only going to get worse"

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration