Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Flight Information
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 2Total of 21 messages
1 2 Next>>
Posted by:Jun 13th 2003, 06:09:49 pm
ColinNanabear,

If we flew in those old clunkers we wouldn't get to experience the giddy joy of riding the thermals and the thunderheads. Then I wouldn't get to watch my wife's face turn green and arrive in Briland with bruises on my arm!!
Posted by:Jun 13th 2003, 03:48:58 pm
nanabearI was really tickled to read the references to Mackey Airlines. Years ago, (about 100 I think) I worked at FLL airport. Senior Mr. Malcom used to rent cars from me and he told me about the island where he lived with pink sand beaches. I used to say, "sure thing, Mr. Malcom." When I married a Mackey pilot, but still never got to the island with pink sand. Much later, when I married Chuck Blankenship, I finally got to this wonderful island and finally saw the pink sand and even looked up Mr. Malcom (who graciously said he remembered me). It's hard to believe, but I think we might welcome those old big clunker planes back! At least you could take a suitcase bigger than a Kleenex box!
Posted by:Jun 12th 2003, 08:31:54 pm
ScannistHi Colin

Great story! All of it has a familiar ring to it. Only difference for me was our trips were to Hopetown.
Posted by:Jun 12th 2003, 10:34:22 am
ColinI well remember, said the old codger (me!) flying Mackey. I was in my early teens and loved walking out of the Miami terminal and strolling over to the plane. Walking up those wheeled stairs with the wind flapping. Sometimes one of the engines would be revving up as you climbed in. Those were the days when we males travelled wearing coat and tie. My blazer slung over my shoulder, wearing my summer cotton pants in early March, with the muggy and warm air of Miami floating through my hair I got wonderful butterflies knowing we would be heading across those magnificent dappled waters, flitting from reef to reef, across the Tongue of the Ocean, and rumbling and bouncing across the tarmac in Eleuthera on landing.
One of the things I missed on my return after an absence of 15 years was the glory of everyone piling into the island ferry and chugging together across the bay to Government Dock. Often we met old friends we didn't know were coming or made new ones as we chatted in the comfort of that old tub. Anthony, before his troubles, mastered the art of welcoming people long without sea legs into his boat.
Walking up the hill past the government clinic and the churches on the way to Runaway Hill was my best way of reassuring myself Briland was intact and as kind and welcoming as always.
All this from flying an old plane across some water.
Posted by:Jun 8th 2003, 03:33:57 pm
ScannistHi Kim

Excellent! Another Mackey flier.

You'll be amazed at the various websites that cover Mackey Airlines. Take a cruise down memory lane and check this out. Go to Google.com and use the keyphrase: "Mackey Airlines".

I fondly remember flying on those old prop planes - DC6 as I recall. Back in the good ole days when making a phone call to the States wasn't easy... and you didn't care :)
Posted by:Jun 8th 2003, 03:01:13 pm
KimberlyI remember Mackey Airlines, yes!!!! They were a blast back then, indeed.
Posted by:Jun 8th 2003, 01:49:58 pm
ScannistHi Tess

Thanks for your post.

Continental would have had to change quite a bit. We've been traveling to the Bahamas for the last 10+ years - every year. We've been bumped 3 times and our baggage twice by Continental. I personally have been visiting the Bahamas since the 70s - back in the days of Mackey Air. Anyone remember them?

The last time we were bumped from Continental, it wound up costing us a day's worth of vacation. We travel prime time - end of March - and they simply love to overbook their flights. The part I like best is we buy our tickets about 10 months out, confirm 3 times, tell them they've bumped us in the past so they won't do it again, and it doesn't make any difference. I could tell a couple of outrageous stories on how Continental has treated us when they bump us, but I don't want to ride that emotional roller coaster again ;-)

In the end, the rule seems to be if you can hit the ground 2+ hours or so in advance of the Continental flight, then you're okay. Anything short of that and you're taking your chances.

Continental isn't the only offenders. We've been bumped by others as well. Island Express is one that comes to mind. No one should do business with them. They rank number 1 for outrageous behaviour.

We've become rather numb to the whole process of flying to the Bahamas. We're newbies to Eleuthera, but well seasoned and battle hardened Bahama travelers. Of course, if the Bahamas wasn't worth it, we'd have quit coming.
Posted by:Jun 8th 2003, 12:02:02 pm
TessIf you haven't committed yet, consider: Continental out of FLL has become WORLDS more reliable than in the past (as in the past 25 years!). And their equipment can get OVER some of the weather instead of having to muddle THROUGH it, as smaller Cessnas must. We have a similar situation here...we fly into FLL on Delta, never before 11:40 or so. In the past couple of years, though, we have had success doing the following: We check in with Delta and check our bags all the way through to ELH (double-check the airport code to be sure Delta gets it right), then we go over to the Continental desk and check in with them. They issue our boarding pass for the hop over to ELH and put us "into the system." We've done this all times of the year...busy and not...and thus far have not been bumped. FLL has opened the expanded Continental terminal now and security moves much faster. Going into Nassau is always higher because of tourist factor. You also have to factor in the obligatory $20 plus cab ride over to the charter terminal (unless you use LeAir, which has failed to keep its pick up schedule twice now, for various family members.) Bottom line: it's exensive and a hassle no matter how you cut it, but worth it when you "reach"!
Posted by:Jun 7th 2003, 07:31:18 pm
ScannistOops... Meant to say FAA; not FCC :)
Posted by:Jun 7th 2003, 07:30:45 pm
ScannistThanks for the advice, Robert. I'll take a look at the FCC's website to be sure there aren't any issues with the service.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.aircharterbahamas.com/pages/eleuthera.html
Posted by:Jun 7th 2003, 07:11:11 pm
Robert Hi have never even HEARD of that charter, and have been visiting for more than 40 years. Twin Air is a bit more expensive than Air Cargo's charter, but both at least have experience and track records that we can trust and refer to. be careful with any old charters out there, okay?
Posted by:Jun 7th 2003, 03:24:33 am
ScannistThanks to all for your input. It would appear "Air Charter Bahamas" has the best deal. "Air Cargo" was pricey.

We're going to travel via American in / out of FLL and use a charter for the hop to Eleuthera. Seems this is the only guaranteed way for us to get there without taking a chance of being bumped due to tight schedule.
Posted by:Jun 4th 2003, 07:56:39 am
smittyHi Scannist
Without knowing when you're traveling, how many in your party,etc.,I hit the internet and found that American,U.S.Air and Delta fly from St. Louis to Nassau with a plane change in either Atlanta,Fll or Miami.Fares at the moment are around 500 per person.Somrthing to think about, huh? Ken
Posted by:Jun 4th 2003, 07:35:53 am
mixaCorrection of phone numbers for Air Cargo Express International:
305-688-6772 or 305-796-5947
561-434-9798
Posted by:Jun 4th 2003, 07:32:09 am
mixaVery important correction. Axel is not doing any charter flights out of Lantana. It is Air Cargo Express International, an FAA certificated Part 135 operator, based in Opa Locka, flying passengers and cargo from any airport in South Florida, using single-engine turbine-powered Cessna Grand Caravan.
Posted by:Jun 3rd 2003, 04:25:30 pm
smittyHi Scannist
If the bottom line is getting to No. Eleuthera and you don't have to stop in FLL,have you checked availability of a flight from St. Louis to Nassau and then on to No. El? We fly directly to Nassau from NY on Delta and then pick up Southern Air or Bahamasair out to No. El.No strain.As clean as FLL is, it can be a real zoo and we avoid it as much as possible along with the mess in Miami.Ken
Posted by:Jun 2nd 2003, 06:29:46 pm
KimberlyAxel Mixa has run a popular charter service in and out of Abaco for the past few years, and is beginning to cater to North Eleuthera as well:

2633 Lantana Rd,
Hangar 508
Lantana, FL 33462
ph 561-434-9798
fax 561-964-3177
alternate 561-434-4479
Posted by:Jun 2nd 2003, 06:26:32 pm
Robert HFrom bahamas.com:

Scheduled air service is available to North Eleuthera (ELH) as follows:

From Ft. Lauderdale (FLL):
Continental Connection one flight daily on a 19 passenger Beachcraft
Twin Air one flight daily on an 8 passenger Twin Engine Cessna

From Nassau (NAS):
Bahamasair two flights daily on a 37 passenger Dash 8
Posted by:Jun 2nd 2003, 03:21:34 pm
ScannistThanks, Kim.

We tried Twinair already and their commercial schedule is a bit tight for us.

In terms of their charter service, they were higher priced and we've only talked to two charter services so far. We're still looking for more comments and suggestions relative to our original post.

Thanks again.
Posted by:Jun 2nd 2003, 09:43:32 am
KimberlyHey there -- you might want to check with Twin Air, out of the Ft. Lauderdale Jet center at Ft. Lauderdale airport, Tel 954 359 8266 or www.flytwinair.com. [It's a short cab ride over.] They're a well-run family airline that has been in business for close to fifty years ... and Bill and Nicole will take excellent care of you.

Hope this helps
Kimberly

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration