Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

HARBOUR ISLAND ALL AGE SCHOOL
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 7 messages
Posted by:Jun 24th 2003, 08:12:53 pm
Judy Dear Journee727
I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your feelings about books and the importance of reading for young people. You are absolutely right - reading is fundamental to success in learning. The people on Harbour Island believe this also - Mr. Cooper, Mrs. Knowles and the Council and many others. Since November 2002 a group of dedicated people have been working hard to restore the Library on Dunmore Street, the Sir George W.K. Roberts Memorial Library. Cleaning, sorting and weeding out of old irreparable books, renovations, fundraising, etc. has and is going on. Check the library postings since February for details.
Over 100 children, parents, grandparents came to our Book Festival on April 5. They listened to 18 adults share their love of books to both children and other adults. Over 70 people made recommendations of books they want in the library. The interest and concern for books and reading is alive on Harbour Island!
God bless Corporal Pinder for his work with the Boys Brigade and for sharing his love of music and children. And God bless all the people on the island who are making repairs to the library building, and the volunteers searching out credible, necessary new books. Good people are working to bring books and the awareness of reading to Harbour Island and its young people.
Six boxes of reference books have been shipped with 2 more boxes to be packed and sent all to be catalogued and shelved. Once the library is operational, programs are being planned to bring the young people into the world of reading. One such program is a "Family Reading Night". This past March Alfreda Cooper of the Ministry of Education visited here explaining how the Bahamas is participating in the United Nations Adult Literacy Program. She wants Harbour Island to participate and offer these here at the Library.
Yes, reading is important - vital. Many people are concerned and working towards this end - local officials, Corporal Pinder, the police department with its summer camp, teachers, the library volunteers and supporters. Thank you for speaking out and saying how important it is to you as well.
Posted by:Jun 24th 2003, 07:56:25 am
JOURNEE727YES, THIS BAND PROGRAM DOES KEEP OUR CHILDREN OFF THE STREETS. IT IS SO SAD, THAT YOU HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD MY CONCEPT WHEN IT COMES TOWORDS A CHILD'S EDUCATION. THOSE CHILDREN READ MUSIC MORE THAN THEY READ A BOOK. WHOSE FAULT IS THIS. ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT WE SHOULD ENCOURAGE OUR CHILDREN TO BE INTRESTED IN THEIR EDUCATION, ESPECIALY READING. IF YOU ARE SO INTRESTED IN THE LIBRARY BEING OPEN WHY DON'T YOU GET MR PINDER TO ENCOURAGE THE CHILDREN TO OCCUPY THE LIBRARY FOR THEIR COMPUTER EDU TIME. I NO LONGER LIVE ON MY ISLAND,BUT IF I WERE HOME I WOULD DEDICATE MY FREE TIME TO THE YOUTH. SO I WOULD PREFER IT IF YOU DO NOT INSINUATE ME AS A PERSON WHO THINKS THAT THIS BAND PROGRAM IS NOT A POSITIVE PROGRAM. I AM ESTATIC WHEN I HERE THE BAND TO PROFORM. I AM JUST A PERSON WHO ARE INTRESTED IN OUR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION.....
Posted by:Jun 23rd 2003, 04:17:30 pm
Richard PWhat volunteers and mentors? Corporal Pinder is one of the few adults on the island willing to lend a hand to the youth of tomorrow. There is a whole library that stay empty most of the day because no one will show up to take care of the children, so dont lean hard on the music program for at least keepint our children off of the streets.
Posted by:Jun 23rd 2003, 08:15:56 am
JOURNEE727I am real happy that there is a positive intrest in our youth concerning the school band. The only concern that i have is how are these students in their school studies. They practice more than they study or read a book. It is good to be intrested in music. Yes it is positive. They say that being in music deminstrates dicipline. but the education of our students who are in this band is important. please do not let band take away their studying time. School maybe out for the summer. I hope that those mentors,volunteers,parents sponsers, etc also have an intrest in thier youth education not only to make misic.
Posted by:Jun 19th 2003, 03:08:02 pm
KimberlyBTW, since the computer center can only accommodate four folks using a computer at a time ... does anyone have any outdoor games [bocce, badminton] or dominoes, board games that they'd like to give to the library? We'd like to keep folks occupied as they wait to use a computer ... any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

Kimberly
Posted by:Jun 19th 2003, 12:08:12 pm
KimberlyI am so sorry that you feel as frustrated as you do. Please know that there are a few caring teachers out there, like Austin Mullen [the woodshop crafts program] and Lang Fincher [after-school programs for slow learning kids, hearing-challenged kids, dyslexic kids]. Rachel and Neil Aberle of Bahamas Adventures also have an afternoon island cleanup and kayaking activity in place. There's also the community computer center up at the library, which after a short hiatus these past two months can now reopen for the community, six days a week.

Sheril Johnson, Karen Malcolm, Brenda Thornberg, Kayla Davis and the crack tech support team of Nicholas Johnson, Letario Higgs and Warwick Watson will now have the center open for the island's afternoon use between 12-4, Monday-Wednesday-Friday and Saturday. Once Don Savage gets back in July, the center will open Monday-Saturday in the afternoons.

Here's to hoping that you can explore one or more of these options ... your kids will appreciate it!

Hope this helps
Kimberly
Posted by:Jun 15th 2003, 09:15:08 pm
brilandkingI have a child that attends the Harbour Island All Age School. I hope in September the Ministry would have already made some provisions for a proper eating area for our children and would have done the necessary repairs to ensure our children's comfort and safety. I am also concerned about the kinds of food that are prepared for our children and the sugar contents that are consumed from the sodas that are sold in the "tuck shop". Why not sell juices; apple juice, orange juice. There should be more healthy choices. I am also concerned too that there are not enough extra cirriculum activities. There are no afternoon classes provided for students who are in need of extra tutoring. As a matter of fact some teachers are out of the gates before most students. I feel that some of the teachers do not have our children's interest at heart.It is just a job... This is unfortunate. Sometimes it is not always the parent who is at fault. There are some teachers that provoke the children, therefore, most naturally the child is going to react. "To every action there is a reaction".I think some teachers need to have more patience with the students and not ridicule them. Hopefully in the new school year we would have a stronger faculty staff, teachers who are driven to help lift up our children and not put them down. Stop telling our kids that they are dumb or they are the worst children you have ever taught. That is not right. Please help our kids. Afterall, they spend most of their wake hours with you. Yes we as parents are the ones to discipline and raise our chldren to be respectable people, but don't distort their minds by verbally abusing them. Tell them that they are special and that they can do whatever they are challenged to do.

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration