Online News & Information for North Eleuthera and Harbour Island, Bahamas
(It's much better in the Out Islands.)

Briland News Link (click)

NEWSWORTHY

roots

briland

marketplace

gallery

Exceptional Educational Outreach (Bahamas)

got questions?

"Briland sweet, eh?"

Coconut Notes
Review the earliest days of the Board [1999-2002]

Click the Ocean Button to sign in and post to the board.

A one-time registration is required, and your new ID will be automatically recognized the next time that you login.

Click Here to Post a New Topic
To Respond to a Posted Message,
Click the Message

Sailing from Exuma to Eleuthera
Click here to return to the subject menu.Click here to search the forum.
Page 1 of 1Total of 1 messages
Posted by:Aug 26th 2003, 11:41:12 pm
island ladyTrip report from coconuttelegraph.net [Abacoboard]

"With August rapidly approaching we took advantage of a “break” in the weather, calling for E-SE 15 knot winds and seas 4-6’ and left Staniel. For a change we actually got to sail. Had a fast passage up to Eleuthera and arrived at Cape Eleuthera Marina at Powell Point before 3pm. The place was deserted. Not one boat! The Marina office is closed at 1pm.

There was a bird nest with an egg in it on a 4 foot piling. The road less traveled, I guess. There’s signs posted about using the power at your own risk, and if there’s no power, there’s no sense staying dockside, so we left, transiting Davis Channel.

Ross caught a good size Wahoo which he cleaned underway as we sailed to Rock Sound. The next morning we sailed North, stopping in Tarpum Bay. The several artists in residence were either gone for the season or out ill, but we walked around for a while before heading North to Governors Harbour. We picked up a mooring buoy after calling and also diving it to check it’s condition. What an interesting, friendly community. Ross played basketball with some locals.

They have a very nice historic library with unlimited time on the internet for only $5.00, and even have a movie theatre within walking distance (which Jeanne and Ross took advantage of). The Friday night we were there the whole community gathered for a big fish fry, loud music and fireworks. The next morning we got an early start for Current Cut, needing to have the tide right for getting through safely, and as we passed Hatchet Bay we say our first boat since leaving Staniel Cay.

We spent the night anchored at “Meeks Patch” before going into Spanish Wells. What a picturesque and tidy community. We spent three days diving the beautiful reefs and getting fish, exploring the beaches and the community. The Marina is scheduled to be re built next year. Right now there are no facilities except for a dock and fuel. No showers, laundry or pool. Ross found basketball courts to shoot a few hoops and I found the 1” coupling I needed to install my new Obendorfer water pump. (The old Sherwood had developed a leak the last few weeks). We really enjoyed our stay, but a window presented itself and it was time to move on. The day before we left I went out in the dingy and created some additional waypoints on the GPS to get through the reef at Ridley Head, as I knew we’d leave early and not have good light conditions.

We had a very fast sail from Spanish Wells to North Bar Channel, averaging 7 ½ knots. Winds we’re SE at 15-20, seas 4 to 7’ and occasionally we’d surf down a wave at over 9 knots. Now that was fun! We trolled but didn’t catch anything, which given our speed was probably a good thing."

Contact us online at
info@briland.com

administration